Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
I'm not sure why you mention Micronesia, but free trade deals are generally a good thing, I agree. But you don't need strings attached to them.
quite simple really, why bother selling on your doorstep in the worlds largest economy when you can sell to someone else on the other side of the planet.

Yes, we live in a global economy, but the economy is subservient to societies needs. It's no use advocating any impact by saying "well, it's the global economy!" If we can make it work better, we should. I see no reason to fear countries such as Australia, New Zealand, Canada, USA, South Korea et al.
No one fears these countries, it just makes no sense to look for trade deals with South Korea at the expense of a trade deal with Germany.

No one says 'Britannia Rules the Waves' Why do people always litter their arguments with such absurdities. It's like me saying that anyone who is pro-EU believes in the EUSSR or wants a single european state etc. It's just nonsense.
the only only absurdity is Brexit and the £350m per week for the NHS. The point being made was that some people think the UK requires world power and prestige, and we do not.

We could have re-joined the single market. Teresa May's deal pretty much advocated that, but people were too busy calling everyone racist and demanding a new referendum to accept it, so we are where we are.

There's loads of reasons why inflation is rising, but German inflation is at 29 year high and the UK's inflation rate is below the eurozone as a whole, so good luck arguing that it's because we left the EU.
non sequitur. Even if we remained in the EU we were outside the Eurozone so we would not have been impacted by eurozone based inflation. where we are being impacted is the additional costs incurred on importing the vast majority of what we consume, given its all made in the EU.

I for one am not looking forward to buying American pony cars instead of the German and Italian Gts that are so much more sexier.