Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
Why not teach a bit of both though. The Chartists in wales is a really interesting and important part of history.
Yes I agree the Chartist movement was very compelling and I agree in an ideal world we can never have enough learning.

The problem is there are only so many hours in a day and indeed a lifetime. Also, children need to learn other subjects like Maths, English, Chemistry, Physics, Biology, Geography etc. Any school curriculum is necessarily constrained to the amount of time which can be devoted to a subject in the context of a child's concentration span. It's a bit easier with the science subjects.

In the case of History which is much more subjective and open to interpretation the issue is to fix upon the mainstream historical narrative without deviating too much into minor but no less interesting themes. There is an extremely good argument that children should learn a broader world view of History but on the interest of practicality that can be accessed as further education learning.

There's maybe a place for Welsh culture learning for small children but I would argue that the vast majority of Welsh 'history" is of no significance to an understanding of how the World developed. Therefore apart from
certain historically important aspects in the wider historical context my opinion is it should only be taught as a non compulsory subject for those who want to learn about it.

The problem about people wanting more "cultural identification" for children is that it detracts from the practicalities of delivering to them a sound education. That's not to say it has its place by the way as a voluntarily chosen further education course.