Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
What turns them on is money, money, money.
Let me state at the start that the Government has made a complete mess of this, and unless some miracle occurs,I can't see any way out but for Boris to resign ( which he won't) or get pushed out by the fabled men in grey suits. Whether that will be now or in a few weeks or months is the the only question for me.

I also think that the enquiry into these parties should report back to the Standards committee and not the Prime Minister. I am not sure if a senior Civil servant is the correct person to conduct it either.

Hoiwever when you say what turns them on is money, money, money (and I presume by them you mean the conservatives) I would point out that it is not that long ago that we had the expenses scandal when MP's of all parties were involved in a systemic milking of the system, followed by the cash for influence scandal of 2010 when three labour MP's (who were also ex ministers) were banned from the commons for periods ranging from 6 months to 5 years. There were also various scandals regarding Labour party donors which occurred through Tony Blair's reign.

It is usually the party in power that is most influenced by money because they are the ones who can actually do anything.