+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gavin and Stacey

Gavin and Stacey

Is this show a complete pile of cr@p or do I hate it so much just because James Cordon is in it.?

Re: Gavin and Stacey

The latter. It's a bit dated but still funny.
    Alison Steadman and Margaret John are superb in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Is this show a complete pile of cr@p or do I hate it so much just because James Cordon is in it.?
    Never seen it but can't stand Corden

I love Gavin & Stacey. Can't understand the hate for James Cordon in this as he's great as Smithy. I think it's ironic that the two weakest characters are Gavin and Stacey but they're just a vehicle for Nessa, Smithy, and the Barry/Essex groups. The Essex crowd is perfect, can't vouch for the Barry lot though

The stereotypical Welsh accents are awful, no-one in Barry talks like the girlfriend in it or her mother and the old woman next door. Poor acting, Barry people have got a stronger Cardiff accent than us Cardiffians Annoying that any Welsh person depicted on the telly never portrays the very different accents that we have in Wales, it’s always the ‘Hiya butt’ accent. Decent actors study and perfect things like this, sadly, Gavin & Stacey is lacking in decent actors (on the Welsh side of it). Rob Brydon should swerve it and stick to ‘Would I Lie To You’.

This sounds like a ‘I hate this very popular musician/band threads’.

Yet the last Christmas episode in 2019 is one of the most watched TV programmes of the 21st century. Quite a remarkable achievement for a programme that struggled to get half a million viewers in its first series.

It's tripe

What’s the feelings on “THE TUCKERS”

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    What’s the feelings on “THE TUCKERS”
    I thought the first series was ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    I love Gavin & Stacey. Can't understand the hate for James Cordon in this as he's great as Smithy. I think it's ironic that the two weakest characters are Gavin and Stacey but they're just a vehicle for Nessa, Smithy, and the Barry/Essex groups. The Essex crowd is perfect, can't vouch for the Barry lot though
    I don't hate him in Gavin & Stacey i've never seen it. But i can't stand his childish fake schoolkid laugh for a start

Quote Originally Posted by stan butler View Post
    I don't hate him in Gavin & Stacey i've never seen it. But i can't stand his childish fake schoolkid laugh for a start
    I know what you mean. I can see how it would grate. He's a West Ham supporter too!

I like it. It seems to be on all the bloody time though.

Great series.

It's not just James Corden that grates, as himself and Smithy, Ruth Jones's character too.

The show itself is easy watching and was okay when it first came out.
    Was quite nice to see a few well known landmarks in it too.

Seen the odd episode on the many repeats since release but I find it cringeworthy now, especially the Welsh characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    Corden is an irritatingly sanctimonious woke luvvie, but most of the criticism is rooted in jealousy.

I love Gavin and Stacey and it was excellent for South Wales

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    In my opinion:

1. Yes it is a pile of crap
    2. It's even worse because unfunny fat boy is in it.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    Corden is an irritatingly sanctimonious woke luvvie, but most of the criticism is rooted in jealousy.

I love Gavin and Stacey and it was excellent for South Wales
    No, it's because he was/is a complete tosser. It is extremely well documented. Matthew Horne basically has nothing to do with him anymore because he is such a tool, and they used to be best mates.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    Imagine writing this sentence without irony.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    No, it's because he was/is a complete tosser. It is extremely well documented. Matthew Horne basically has nothing to do with him anymore because he is such a tool, and they used to be best mates.
    Where is it well documented? I couldn’t find anything other than them refuting some stories about a fall out. I certainly couldn’t find any reference to Horne referencing him as a tool?

I spent a large part of my life before university between Dinas, Penarth, Sully and Barry then moved away and ultimately became an expat…The entire family here loves Gavin & Stacey (there’s probably a ton of nostalgia in there for us too)and the number of Canadians our kids have converted is countless

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    The stereotypical Welsh accents are awful, no-one in Barry talks like the girlfriend in it or her mother and the old woman next door. Poor acting, Barry people have got a stronger Cardiff accent than us Cardiffians Annoying that any Welsh person depicted on the telly never portrays the very different accents that we have in Wales, it’s always the ‘Hiya butt’ accent. Decent actors study and perfect things like this, sadly, Gavin & Stacey is lacking in decent actors (on the Welsh side of it). Rob Brydon should swerve it and stick to ‘Would I Lie To You’.
    This. The only people with halfway decent accents are Dave Coaches and Nessa. Rob Brydon can do all those impressions but he can't do a Barry accent?

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    He is VERY popular over here.

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    Where is it well documented? I couldn’t find anything other than them refuting some stories about a fall out. I certainly couldn’t find any reference to Horne referencing him as a tool?

I spent a large part of my life before university between Dinas, Penarth, Sully and Barry then moved away and ultimately became an expat…The entire family here loves Gavin & Stacey (there’s probably a ton of nostalgia in there for us too)and the number of Canadians our kids have converted is countless
    Immigrant yearns for a bit of home.........surprise

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    He is VERY popular over here.
    So is Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    Imagine writing this sentence without irony.
    It's true. He doesn't have any spectacular stand out talent and a lot of other comedians or more traditional actors are critical for that I think