+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Steve Morison: Cardiff boss says he has earned permanent role

Re: Steve Morison: Cardiff boss says he has earned permanent role

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Good post.

The "improved the football" one is one that tickles me. Was it impossible NOT to improve it after Mad Mick.

We are not exactly popping the ball around between the lines, pulling the opposition out of position, 3rd man runners.etc
    What Cooper has achieved at Forest so far and the scalps of Arsenal and Leicester is impressive. If Rooney keeps Derby up then he'll outrank Brian Clough in their hall of fame and will be immortalised (and quite rightly so!). I don't care if we lost home and away to Swansea but got promotion. I never worry about records.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    I've been giving this a lot of thought. I really don't want Steve Morison to be given another contract even he saves us from relegation. I'm not sentimental. If we save ourselves this season then that's no reason to make him manager by default. There's no reason to make him manager just because the football's better. The football couldn't have gotten any worse under Mad Mick, Harris, and Warnock.

Cardiff City should have a much better manager than Steve Morison. We shouldn't be employing a rookie manager from the U23s and Cardiff City should not be a football club where managers come to cut their teeth. Promoting someone from the U23s to the First Team job in The Championship is only going to end in tears. We deserve better than that. We ARE better than that. He's no tactical genius. He's not a good communicator (which IS important). The game's changed and so have the players. He's not going to get us very far and let's be perfectly clear, if by some miracle, he got us to the playoffs and won that lottery, he'd be a disaster at every level in the PL. We'd have to dump him before then in exactly the way we should have with Warnock. Football's ruthless. As fans, we've become too bloody soft. So, if we have any aspirations of being a bigger club and getting a promotion again over the next three seasons, we need to ditch him now and get someone else in this Summer otherwise we're wasting more precious time.

There's something else that bugs me about our current situation. Why do we have to be grateful for the scraps of decent football under Morison? Why do we wet ourselves over thrashing a rubbish side like Peterborough? Why do we get all teary-eyed because the young lads scored a goal at Anfield? I don't even think the win over Forest was anything other than Cooper had made no preparations for 4 loan players in the starting eleven (announced an hour before kick-off) that nobody had done any homework on. Morison took a gamble that day and it paid off. I admire him for that. But that's a one-off situation.

We already feel like a club in decline this season and we need a manager with experience who can add some much-needed life to the club. Not a dinosaur. Not a Rookie. Not Neil Harris's understudy. Just look at the vast majority of managers this club has appointed under Tan. Morison's going to be another in the long list of 'what the f*ck were they thinking?' appointments. We get sucked in by the bollux that's written in WOL by the sycophants who're supposed to be sports journalists, I swear, the way people are going on, we'll be calling for an open-top bus parade for maintaining 20th position at the end of the season.

Morison's made some progress and done some good stuff, nothing amazing though. I'd like us to have a manager with some Cardiff blood running through their veins.
    Go on son, let it flow That was fantastic

You're correct and I probably shouldn't have used the description rookie as you make a very good point. It's funny, because after I'd posted, I thought, 'someone's going to mention Klopp!'

I remember many comments along the lines that Warnock 'deserved' another go in the PL after our automatic promotion that season when the complete opposite was the case. Who knows, we may still be there now if the board had had the balls to say 'thanks Neil, but we're going in a different direction'. It happens in most managerial jobs but football seems to have its own set of rules.
    Thinking about it, the examples of Klopp and Guardiola are a little flawed cos they were in the building at the time. However, they were probably well regarded from the off and didn't have a chairman who said he didn't want them in the job before giving them the job two weeks later.

Tuchel was at Augsburg II but had an excellent reputation in coaching circles (apparently). The question is do we have people in place who can find the next best (or bestish) thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebirdman Of Alcathays View Post
    Thinking about it, the examples of Klopp and Guardiola are a little flawed cos they were in the building at the time. However, they were probably well regarded from the off and didn't have a chairman who said he didn't want them in the job before giving them the job two weeks later.

Tuchel was at Augsburg II but had an excellent reputation in coaching circles (apparently). The question is do we have people in place who can find the next best (or bestish) thing.
    I think you're on the money with those calls and I still think I used the term rookie out of context. I also think this sentence may be the only one written with the names Klopp, Guardiola, Tuchel, and Morison in it.

As for your question: I do find it funny that we beat Forest recently because I genuinely feel like one of those poor darts players at the end of an old episode of Bullseye when, just before the curtain is pulled back, Jim Bowen says 'look what you coulda won!' to reveal a spinning plinth with Steve Cooper on it and we're walking away with a Bully mug.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Good post.

The "improved the football" one is one that tickles me. Was it impossible NOT to improve it after Mad Mick.

We are not exactly popping the ball around between the lines, pulling the opposition out of position, 3rd man runners.etc
    Well said, and well said CN. Every manager we could have picked would've improved the football. Look at the transformation Wilder and Cooper have made at Boro and Forest. We're plodding along.

Rob Edwards at FGR would be one I'd look at.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody's Rep View Post
    The close season will be shorter this year due to the league for 22/23 starting earlier for the world Cup to take place mid season - we have lots to do

Would like to think the board are planning now for a variety of options and have a idea of where they want to go in terms of style regardless of who will be at the helm
    Plan to buy young midfielders who can play football and run. Centre halves that can keep the ball out of our net, that can take a touch and pass. Full backs who can defend and play. Strikers that put the ball in the back of the net. It's not hard, most other clubs manage it . Good players are good players regardless of style.

I've been giving this a lot of thought. I really don't want Steve Morison to be given another contract even he saves us from relegation. I'm not sentimental. If we save ourselves this season then that's no reason to make him manager by default. There's no reason to make him manager just because the football's better. The football couldn't have gotten any worse under Mad Mick, Harris, and Warnock.

Cardiff City should have a much better manager than Steve Morison. We shouldn't be employing a rookie manager from the U23s and Cardiff City should not be a football club where managers come to cut their teeth. Promoting someone from the U23s to the First Team job in The Championship is only going to end in tears. We deserve better than that. We ARE better than that. He's no tactical genius. He's not a good communicator (which IS important). The game's changed and so have the players. He's not going to get us very far and let's be perfectly clear, if by some miracle, he got us to the playoffs and won that lottery, he'd be a disaster at every level in the PL. We'd have to dump him before then in exactly the way we should have with Warnock. Football's ruthless. As fans, we've become too bloody soft. So, if we have any aspirations of being a bigger club and getting a promotion again over the next three seasons, we need to ditch him now and get someone else in this Summer otherwise we're wasting more precious time.

There's something else that bugs me about our current situation. Why do we have to be grateful for the scraps of decent football under Morison? Why do we wet ourselves over thrashing a rubbish side like Peterborough? Why do we get all teary-eyed because the young lads scored a goal at Anfield? I don't even think the win over Forest was anything other than Cooper had made no preparations for 4 loan players in the starting eleven (announced an hour before kick-off) that nobody had done any homework on. Morison took a gamble that day and it paid off. I admire him for that. But that's a one-off situation.

We already feel like a club in decline this season and we need a manager with experience who can add some much-needed life to the club. Not a dinosaur. Not a Rookie. Not Neil Harris's understudy. Just look at the vast majority of managers this club has appointed under Tan. Morison's going to be another in the long list of 'what the f*ck were they thinking?' appointments. We get sucked in by the bollux that's written in WOL by the sycophants who're supposed to be sports journalists, I swear, the way people are going on, we'll be calling for an open-top bus parade for maintaining 20th position at the end of the season.

Morison's made some progress and done some good stuff, nothing amazing though. I'd like us to have a manager with some Cardiff blood running through their veins.
    I found myself nodding my head in agreement with much of what you said.

However, your last paragraph about appointing "a manager with some Cardiff blood running through their veins" had me a bit perplexed.
    Firstly, you really would be narrowing the field of candidates.
    Secondly, why should it matter?

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    I found myself nodding my head in agreement with much of what you said.

However, your last paragraph about appointing "a manager with some Cardiff blood running through their veins" had me a bit perplexed.
    Firstly, you really would be narrowing the field of candidates.
    Secondly, why should it matter?
    It's a good point and a good question. In my head, though it's not explained, it was a metaphor for the right person. I was a huge admirer of Wenger and what he did at and for Arsenal. I think he will be forever associated with that club because of his philosophy and the way he changed things. I met him on a flight once and the guy was on another level. Talk about charisma and the calmness of authority. He was so quietly spoken.

So it's not literal. I guess I'm smarting at our inability to have gone after Cooper. But you're right to ask the question. I'll be the first to admit that I don't see our present manager as a Cardiff guy. We're not the club for him and he's not ready or right for us.

Maybe it's because he's too much of one of the lads and hasn't grasped that less is more and these players can't be your mates. Same for any management role really. He's come from dealing with young lads and young men in the U23s to seasoned pros. Ask yourself why he never criticises their abject failure? He doesn't have the authority, presence, and ability to command that level of respect.

Good stuff. Much of it makes sense, but I’d challenge the rookie manager point you make as you seem to contradict yourself in follow up posts in this and other threads with your references to both Rooney and Bellamy, who are or would be nothing more than rookie managers?

Don’t get me wrong, I have a huge bias towards wanting Bellamy here but other than the fact that he’s from Cardiff and was a top player there’s nothing that sets him apart from Morison in terms of credentials for the job

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    Good stuff. Much of it makes sense, but I’d challenge the rookie manager point you make as you seem to contradict yourself in follow up posts in this and other threads with your references to both Rooney and Bellamy, who are or would be nothing more than rookie managers?

Don’t get me wrong, I have a huge bias towards wanting Bellamy here but other than the fact that he’s from Cardiff and was a top player there’s nothing that sets him apart from Morison in terms of credentials for the job
    Yeah, it was probably the wrong choice and out of context to use the term rookie. I guess it's an emotional point and almost impossible to quantify the term. Maybe there's a sliding scale based on achievements in the game and experience after you hang up your boots? My point about Rooney though is not so much that I think he's a great manager (I don't know yet) but that if he keeps Derby up after their massive points deduction he'll be a legend no matter how badly he does after.

As far as Bellamy is concerned, I'd take him over Morison in a heartbeat but not over Cooper.

But yes, there are contradictions and I'm trying to work those out myself too. I'm just very clear about my thoughts on Morison and really don't want us to move forward with him after this season.

I've just thought of Stevie Gerrard. Is he still a rookie? There's a guy I've got a lot of time for and find myself looking out at Villa's scores and performances.