+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Goalscorers emphasise the increasing impact of Cardiff City Academy products on the first team.

Goalscorers emphasise the increasing impact of Cardiff City Academy products on the first team.

Quality goals from Bagan and Harris secure win after Watters is subbed in the first half.

http://mauveandyellowarmy.net/

Re: Goalscorers emphasise the increasing impact of Cardiff City Academy products on the first team.

I completely agree with the point on Harris. He may not be as flashy as some of our other youngsters, but he's certainly effective and is a better finisher than he's given credit for

Re: Goalscorers emphasise the increasing impact of Cardiff City Academy products on the first team.

Sky pundits would give 3 penalties a game if they could.
    I didn't see anything but a yellow for diving from both flops to the floor

Quote Originally Posted by fugsyphil View Post
    Have you seen a replay?

I think the smithies one is a stone wall penalty - but the player dives around too much and hence ref's give the benefit of doubt to the defenders.

A very wet surface and ball but smithies should have wrapped that ball up

Bob.... Harris has something, i think if he had missed Doyle would have been screaming in his face as he was wide open middle of goal, but he didnt and thats a striker.

Vaulks is the one i'm unconvinced about - i keep thinking of that interview where he says he can pass and then think - occasionally he can but occasionally so can I. His positioning is often poor, when helping out the left back he passes then runs to a nothing position leaving Bagan to hoof, and he has a habit of putting his arms out wide when he thinks the player in front of him is about to shoot... these are just his bad habits let alone his ability to tackle / close down.... (and his over white teeth... although that may not be a football thing). i think he's just the best of the bad bunch behind Ralls, Wintle, Doyle

Quote Originally Posted by Q View Post
    I think the smithies one is a stone wall penalty - but the player dives around too much and hence ref's give the benefit of doubt to the defenders.

Bob.... Harris has something, i think if he had missed Doyle would have been screaming in his face as he was wide open middle of goal, but he didnt and thats a striker.

Vaulks is the one i'm unconvinced about - i keep thinking of that interview where he says he can pass and then think - occasionally he can but occasionally so can I. His positioning is often poor, when helping out the left back he passes then runs to a nothing position leaving Bagan to hoof, and he has a habit of putting his arms out wide when he thinks the player in front of him is about to shoot... these are just his bad habits let alone his ability to tackle / close down.... (and his over white teeth... although that may not be a football thing). i think he's just the best of the bad bunch behind Ralls, Wintle, Doyle
    I thought Vaulks was better than his standard for this season, but I can’t argue with much of what you say (not sure about the teeth mind ). He’s an odd mix of the spectacular (he scored my City goal of the year in both of the last two seasons and he can come up with high quality defence splitting passes at times) and the banal - the frustration for me is that he shows us what he is capable of and then will spend the next minutes putting simple passes out of play or sending them straight to the opposition. Like many in the squad, his lack of pace exaggerates his weaknesses and one of the enduring images of our woeful run under McCarthy in the autumn is of Vaulks and/or Pack trailing behind opponents who were running through the big gaps in the middle of the pitch continuously (Bacuna was usually nowhere to be seen).

Quote Originally Posted by Q View Post

Vaulks is a really odd player. He's got good technique, can play great 40 yard balls and ping them in from 20/30 yards and then consistently gives the ball away with 5/10 yard passes. I do think he is a good bloke though, his interview with Bagan was really nice. Not in football to make friends but still, it was nice to see.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Vaulks is a really odd player. He's got good technique, can play great 40 yard balls and ping them in from 20/30 yards and then consistently gives the ball away with 5/10 yard passes. I do think he is a good bloke though, his interview with Bagan was really nice. Not in football to make friends but still, it was nice to see.
    Yes he does come over as a nice bloke and there's a lovely story on the other board about how he went out of his way to help a young fan recently.

I just don't think he contributes enough at Championship level and if we want to move up the league we need to replace him with better quality so as to ensure effective squad rotation.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    When he's on the bench, he's the first to get on the pitch at the end of a game we've won and congratulate his team mates.
    He looks genuinely happy for those that have replaced him, no sign of bitterness/sulking from him.
    However, he doesn't have good technique, as you said. When you have good technique the basics of the game, such as passing, come easy - passing is something he struggles with.
    Tackling is another flaw in his game, he picks up too many bookings - because his technique isn't good.

Mark Robins said "I think the first one cost him [Callum O'Hare] a penalty, the first one looks like a dive as he's trying to get out of the way, the second one he has clipped him, so it could have been a penalty."

[QUOTE=Undercoverinwurzelland;5275813]Mark Robins said "I think the first one cost him [Callum O'Hare] a penalty, the first one looks like a dive as he's trying to get out of the way, the second one he has clipped him, so it could have been a penalty."[/QUOTE

In Morison press conference he conceded it was a pen as well