+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Things they should teach you in school

Re: Things they should teach you in school

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Teach kids to looknforward not backwards.

I understand to a degree history has a part in education but where does it stop? How much do they *need* to know?

It's part of the problem with education for me. Overloading kids with piles of shit they don't really need to know that won't be useful later in life unless they're at a pub quiz.
    Events in history shaped the world we live in today, I do think it’s an important subject. It is quite useful in later life to have the knowledge that ‘history does repeat itself’ and if it’s for the worse knowing that your vote, your actions etc could go a bit of a way to preventing it.

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    Thinly veiled I've got super sperm post IMO
    😋

Basic DIY stuff and minor electronics. A girl I knew in work made it to 22 and didn’t know how to change a fuse.

Personal finance instead of some of the useless maths we learnt. Differentiation from first principles, Circle Theorems, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Events in history shaped the world we live in today, I do think it’s an important subject. It is quite useful in later life to have the knowledge that ‘history does repeat itself’ and if it’s for the worse knowing that your vote, your actions etc could go a bit of a way to preventing it.
    Like I said, to a degree.

Quote Originally Posted by Canton Kev View Post
    Basic DIY stuff and minor electronics. A girl I knew in work made it to 22 and didn’t know how to change a fuse.

Personal finance instead of some of the useless maths we learnt. Differentiation from first principles, Circle Theorems, etc.
    On the ‘theorems’ note, me and friends were having a chat about school a while back and someone said what use was Pythagoras’ theorem. They were quite surprised when I told them that I use it at least once a week at work, I told them to look around them, every square corner of the building we were in owed it’s accuracy to 3,4,5. It’s a Godsend in construction, also the formulae for areas of circles come into to play when working out quantities. Set out and built an elliptical (oval) area in a garden a few years back, using maths resulted in a perfect shape. But the main one is our old mate Pythagoras, he saved a lot of head scratching.

Coding. All the tech being used has to be coded. There is still a tiny percentage of the world's population with enough coding knowledge in all the necessary languages needed (including some major tech running older languages). I know they teach 'some' but it should be like being able to read and write properly, it's that important.

Edit: ask a kid how a smartphone works? What programming language does it use? How is it made?

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    Coding. All the tech being used has to be coded. There is still a tiny percentage of the world's population with enough coding knowledge in all the necessary languages needed (including some major tech running older languages). I know they teach 'some' but it should be like being able to read and write properly, it's that important.

Edit: ask a kid how a smartphone works? What programming language does it use? How is it made?
    It is obviously important, but the people that want to get into it surely will? I can see the need for a kid to need to know how to do basics on car maintenance or need to understand finances better, but unless they chose a job in something involving coding why *should* they need to be taught it?

Genuine interest in the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Zowhore View Post
    How hard it is to conceive a baby, in fact it’s very unlikely you’ll get pregnant after a one off.

Trying for a baby was a ****ing nightmare and so worrying as the months went on, all because you’re misled in school.
    I think that's the last thing you want to be teaching a load of horny teenagers

On the ‘theorems’ note, me and friends were having a chat about school a while back and someone said what use was Pythagoras’ theorem. They were quite surprised when I told them that I use it at least once a week at work, I told them to look around them, every square corner of the building we were in owed it’s accuracy to 3,4,5. It’s a Godsend in construction, also the formulae for areas of circles come into to play when working out quantities. Set out and built an elliptical (oval) area in a garden a few years back, using maths resulted in a perfect shape. But the main one is our old mate Pythagoras, he saved a lot of head scratching.
    That’s fair enough and I don’t deny their importance but it’s very dependant on your line of work though. I haven’t used it or even thought about it in years. Mortgages, loans, personal finance, banking, stocks, etc have been much more prevalent in my life and most of the population compared to circle theorems.

That’s fair enough and I don’t deny their importance but it’s very dependant on your line of work though. I haven’t used it or even thought about it in years. Mortgages, loans, personal finance, banking, stocks, etc have been much more prevalent in my life and most of the population compared to circle theorems.
    You must have done a bit of d.i.y. Kev. Or even putting a table in a room and having it ‘square’ with the wall, you’re unknowingly using it then. I do like maths though, theorems fascinate me how they solve things.....bit geekish I know, sorry

I learnt more geography following football than I ever did in school

Quote Originally Posted by DJ-Q View Post
    I learnt more geography following football than I ever did in school
    You’re not wrong there.

Cooking.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    It is obviously important, but the people that want to get into it surely will? I can see the need for a kid to need to know how to do basics on car maintenance or need to understand finances better, but unless they chose a job in something involving coding why *should* they need to be taught it?

Genuine interest in the answer.
    It's a really good question. My view and that of many tech people are that we're so reliant on smart technology that the languages used to code them need to be 'spoken' fluently. Our reliance on the tech also means reliance on a shrinking number of both people and corporations. Asia is leading the way in this and in the west, we're actually illiterate regarding technology by comparison.

Don't forget, self-driving smart cars are the future. They'll be 'fixed' with a laptop. But they'll be 'designed' by coders too. Including the robotics used to manufacture them.

We teach reading and writing but don't expect everyone to go on and use those skills to the highest level. The guy who made the Raspberry Pi, Eben Upton is a Welshman born in Pontypool, and his philosophy about coding and getting kids to learn is brilliant stuff and worth reading. I don't have time to post the articles now but if you follow up from the wiki page you'll find plenty written by him.

But you're right, you'd only need to know the basics to operate at the simplest level. It's really down to an over-dependence on a small number of coders in relation to the amount of tech we use.

It's actually scary how badly computer technology and languages are taught in UK schools compared to other countries.

Teach them that not everyone will make millions from being an influencer or Youtuber

manners

I can better that!
    Now I started keeping fish when I was 11, back in the mid 60s, so I knew basic electrics.
    A year or so ago I asked my daughter's boyfriend ( aged 27 I think) for help changing a lightbulb(I knew how, obviously, but he's 6'4" so I wouldn't need to get the stepladder out.)
    He'd never changed a bulb, so I had to explain him to hold the fitting "don't pull it down, but stop me pushing it up..." while I twisted the bulbs out and in.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Teach them that not everyone will make millions from being an influencer or Youtuber
    I'm just off to set that up on YouTube!

Quote Originally Posted by Zowhore View Post
    How hard it is to conceive a baby, in fact it’s very unlikely you’ll get pregnant after a one off.

Trying for a baby was a ****ing nightmare and so worrying as the months went on, all because you’re misled in school.
    I'd say for most people the opposite is true. I had 4 kids before I found out what was causing it and got snipped.
    But I sympstise with people who find it difficult. My sister had trouble conceiving, but eventually did, had one boy, then conceived several more that didn't go to term - turned out the first pregnancy triggered a condition called Lupus, which caused subsequent pregnancies to fai.

You must have done a bit of d.i.y. Kev. Or even putting a table in a room and having it ‘square’ with the wall, you’re unknowingly using it then. I do like maths though, theorems fascinate me how they solve things.....bit geekish I know, sorry
    I like maths too, more the physics side of however.

As I said, I understand their importance and hidden uses. It’s more the months I spent doing radians, arcs, tangents to the diameter etc and equations like surface area of a sphere I would’ve preferred if they’d been spent on more obvious life skills that involve maths. Whilst I may have unknowingly used circle theorems, the actual methods I was taught haven’t come up in my life since my A Level exams.

International

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    inspired by some posts in the basic income thread

- how to change a tyre

- how to get a mortgage

- how best to get your deposit back from your landlord at the end of a rental period
    >Landlord? Don't pay the last month's rent!

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    To set realistic expectations.

I was a member of an Apprenticeship Trust for Worcestershire and the biggest problem by far was the expectations given to the kids by the schools. I am a member of the bring back Polytechnics fan club.

The loss of Glamorgan Poly for a struggling university was an absolute tragedy for South Wales in particular.

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Sorry I meant the Polytechnic of Wales in Pontypridd

Teach them to pull up their pants and put their hat on straight.

Don’t listen to weather forecasts