+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anyone had their utility prices for April onwards yet?

Re: Anyone had their utility prices for April onwards yet?

I'm with Octopus Energy. My fixed rate tariff ends in mid-April. I got an e-mail from them today.

I've been paying £65.80 a month for the last 12 months. I've been given three options:

Fixed price deal one: estimated £157.40 per month.

Fixed price deal two: estimated £151.25 per month.

Flexible tariff: estimated £82.12 per month.

I'll hold my hands up here, I just don't understand the information I've been given. I can't believe my bills will theoretically go from £65.80 a month to £150.00+ per month if I take a new fixed term deal. That can't be right, can it?

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    I'm with Octopus Energy. My fixed rate tariff ends in mid-April. I got an e-mail from them today.

I've been paying £65.80 a month for the last 12 months. I've been given three options:

Fixed price deal one: estimated £157.40 per month.

Fixed price deal two: estimated £151.25 per month.

Flexible tariff: estimated £82.12 per month.

I'll hold my hands up here, I just don't understand the information I've been given. I can't believe my bills will theoretically go from £65.80 a month to £150.00+ per month if I take a new fixed term deal. That can't be right, can it?
    I don't know if you read my post earlier in this thread, but my electricity cost with Octopus will double if I accept their best fixed rate deal, from £58 p.m. to approx £120 p.m. I have sent an email to them asking them to justify such an increase. I was anticipating a 50% rise but not 100%!!

I was with Igloo and passed onto Eon when they went tits up. Currently I'm paying £130 and they've now offered a new fixed rate of £285. What with petrol increases as well, we can't be far from the tipping point.

Mine with Octopus is ending shortly. I’m a bit confused by it all to be honest. Already paying close to £100 a month on my fixed one.

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    Mine with Octopus is ending shortly. I’m a bit confused by it all to be honest. Already paying close to £100 a month on my fixed one.
    Heaven forbid but do I detect a whiff of profiteering in the air here?

I'm with British Gas, my gas and electricity used to be £98 p/m combined, now it's £160

Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
    I don't know if you read my post earlier in this thread, but my electricity cost with Octopus will double if I accept their best fixed rate deal, from £58 p.m. to approx £120 p.m. I have sent an email to them asking them to justify such an increase. I was anticipating a 50% rise but not 100%!!
    None of it makes sense as far as I'm concerned. How can we be quoted approximate figures for a fixed-rate tariff? Why does my fixed-rate quote leap from the current £66 a month to a minimum of £151 a month? How can the estimated monthly cost be so much lower if I do nothing (£82 a month - a sharp rise from £66, but but nothing like the fixed rate rises)?

It baffles me, but thankfully my sister is pretty good with this kind of thing so she's on it for me.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    None of it makes sense as far as I'm concerned. How can we be quoted approximate figures for a fixed-rate tariff? Why does my fixed-rate quote leap from the current £66 a month to a minimum of £151 a month? How can the estimated monthly cost be so much lower if I do nothing (£82 a month - a sharp rise from £66, but but nothing like the fixed rate rises)?

It baffles me, but thankfully my sister is pretty good with this kind of thing so she's on it for me.
    I think the £82 p.m. offer you have received will be for the variable rate tariff, so the rate could go up at any time. I would avoid that option as who knows what is going to happen with the Ukraine situation. A fixed deal would be the best option but not at any price from Octopus. I have long given up being a loyal customer with utility and insurance companies!

Send them an email as I have done and ask them to explain/justify the huge increase. I have always found them to be good when it comes to replying to emails.

I think the £82 p.m. offer you have received will be for the variable rate tariff, so the rate could go up at any time. I would avoid that option as who knows what is going to happen with the Ukraine situation. A fixed deal would be the best option but not at any price from Octopus. I have long given up being a loyal customer with utility and insurance companies!

Send them an email as I have done and ask them to explain/justify the huge increase. I have always found them to be good when it comes to replying to emails.
    i asked them the same when they offered me a ridiculous new price and my payments remained the same as before with no answer to justify the increase

Quote Originally Posted by poc View Post
    i asked them the same when they offered me a ridiculous new price and my payments remained the same as before with no answer to justify the increase
    Do I understand you correctly: they offered you a new fixed rate deal at the same cost as before but conveniently forgot about the massive increase you would have paid if you hadn't questioned it? Was this recently?

Do I understand you correctly: they offered you a new fixed rate deal at the same cost as before but conveniently forgot about the massive increase you would have paid if you hadn't questioned it? Was this recently?
    sorry i am on the standard variable rate , i questioned the new amount as my usage was the same and they kept me on the same amount i pay now ,yes within the last 2 months , no doubt it will increase when the cap rises

Quote Originally Posted by poc View Post
    sorry i am on the standard variable rate , i questioned the new amount as my usage was the same and they kept me on the same amount i pay now ,yes within the last 2 months , no doubt it will increase when the cap rises
    Ah, ok, I understand now. If I accepted the variable rate tariff it would be 24.86p per kWh (18.93p at the moment). It is tempting but I think I would be hit with a huge rise fairly quickly after signing up!

I received my new tariffs today.
    Gas - currently £58 per month, going up to £97.
    Electric - currently £72 per month, going up to £101.
    Both with British Gas. Could be worse, I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    I received my new tariffs today.
    Gas - currently £58 per month, going up to £97.
    Electric - currently £72 per month, going up to £101.
    Both with British Gas. Could be worse, I suppose.
    Are these fixed rate deals?

Important to point out that the monthly direct debit is different to the actual cost. A fixed rate only fixes your kwh price, the monthly direct debit amount is still based on a guess of your usage. If you use less than expected you'll have money back, more than expected you will owe money.

Dangerous to focus too much on the monthly dd amount . Set it low and it looks very attractive, but could result in a very hefty bill down the line

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Shows how bad things have got - mine’s going up £39 a month and I was pleasantly surprised at how low it was.
    Prices will be rising a lot more in the next 6 months.

Scottish Power’s Fixed Price May 2023 M2 tariff now costs an astonishing £3,500 a year for average use – compared with the current cap of £1,277 a year. A host of other suppliers are quoting at least £3,000 a year to customers looking to fix

I have had advice from elsewhere to accept the 36p/kWh offer from Octopus as this could be viewed as a bargain in a few months time! It means I would be paying approx £110 p.m. for electricity compared to £58 p.m. now.

I have had advice from elsewhere to accept the 36p/kWh offer from Octopus as this could be viewed as a bargain in a few months time! It means I would be paying approx £110 p.m. for electricity compared to £58 p.m. now.
    My bill with Octopus doubled a few months back. They are regarded as one of the better suppliers.

International

My joiny gas/electric forecast is lower that I pay now

Energy bills up loads , petrol , bought a tyre today that was more than double what I was paying a few years ago.

Hopefully the Brexit benefits will kick in soon.

Just tried to get a fixed deal for someone. No one is offering any deals at the moment . Her present supplier (Scottish Power ) wants to up her payments from £95 a month to £277 for a fixed price dual fuel . Bargain.....

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Energy bills up loads , petrol , bought a tyre today that was more than double what I was paying a few years ago.

Hopefully the Brexit benefits will kick in soon.
    Nationalise the lot.B.P WATER ELECTRIC GAS.

I’ve just had the email for a loyal 12 month with Octopus which seems to be the same one. Would push mine from £80 to £176

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    I’ve just had the email for a loyal 12 month with Octopus which seems to be the same one. Would push mine from £80 to £176
    i just had one from them as well £64 up to £154 dual fuel