+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Panorama Last Night

Panorama Last Night

Suggesting how Abromovich amassed his fortune, which was a lot of peoples thoughts anyway. Those muppet Chelsea fans singing his name and I noticed they had a huge banner with a Russian flag with his name across it. On the news last week they interviewed three 'fans' outside the ground, the first was angry about what was happening to his club as he travels from Asia to see them, the second was more King Street, Merthyr than Kings Road and the third had a broad East Anglian accent, and said he will be singing Abromovich's name in the stands.

The game has sold its soul.

Re: Panorama Last Night

Quote Originally Posted by Peajay View Post
    Suggesting how Abromovich amassed his fortune, which was a lot of peoples thoughts anyway. Those muppet Chelsea fans singing his name and I noticed they had a huge banner with a Russian flag with his name across it. On the news last week they interviewed three 'fans' outside the ground, the first was angry about what was happening to his club as he travels from Asia to see them, the second was more King Street, Merthyr than Kings Road and the third had a broad East Anglian accent, and said he will be singing Abromovich's name in the stands.

What do you mean King St Merthyr?

Quote Originally Posted by Whisperer View Post
    What do you mean King St Merthyr?
    Taking a cheap shot. There actually is a King Street not far from where I used to live in Pant, but I suspect he did not know that.

Shocking they couldn't find someone with a proper Fulham accent.

Quote Originally Posted by Grievous Angel View Post
    Taking a cheap shot. There actually is a King Street not far from where I used to live in Pant, but I suspect he did not know that.
    Not a 'cheap shot' I was referring to his accent, and I know exactly where King St is. Seems you cant post FA on here without someone wanting to be offended. I assume you were referring to a 'class' reference?

Bit harsh for me. I don't think Abramovich is evil and I think it's fair for Chelsea fans to have affection for him considering what he's done for the club. Ironically, there is something curiously Soviet about suddenly having to hate (or love) someone you previously loved (or hated). We knew the score with Abramovich when Russia invaded Georgia and the Ukraine in 2014. Did we not care then?

I have no time for Abramovich, but as with most oligarchs, I think they are a product of the corrupt Soviet and subsequent rampant capitalist system that Russia underwent, followed by years of strongman government in the form of Putin.

They will not be alone. Any Chinese investor in UK football absolutely will have to be on good terms with the Chinese Communist Party and they are, notwithstanding the Ukraine war, a worse outfit than Putin.

Morally, I have a bigger issue with Newcastle fans and Saudi Arabia to be honest, although even then I can see why most fans can seperate off the football from politics and ultimately, as we well know, you dont choose your owners.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    Bit harsh for me. I don't think Abramovich is evil and I think it's fair for Chelsea fans to have affection for him considering what he's done for the club. Ironically, there is something curiously Soviet about suddenly having to hate (or love) someone you previously loved (or hated). We knew the score with Abramovich when Russia invaded Georgia and the Ukraine in 2014. Did we not care then?

I have no time for Abramovich, but as with most oligarchs, I think they are a product of the corrupt Soviet and subsequent rampant capitalist system that Russia underwent, followed by years of strongman government in the form of Putin.

They will not be alone. Any Chinese investor in UK football absolutely will have to be on good terms with the Chinese Communist Party and they are, notwithstanding the Ukraine war, a worse outfit than Putin.

Morally, I have a bigger issue with Newcastle fans and Saudi Arabia to be honest, although even then I can see why most fans can seperate off the football from politics and ultimately, as we well know, you dont choose your owners.
    Good, sensible post.

Good, sensible post.
    Yeah not like yours you fecking donut

Yes I think plenty of football fans cared. Just as fans were unhappy about Thaksin and then Sheik Mansour buying Man City, the Qatari money at PSG (and also the forthcoming World Cup), the Saudis buying Newcastle as you say, Carson Yeung the money launderer at Birmingham City, Gaydamak at Portsmouth...

Most of us would be happy if there were no billionaires involved in our football.

it is very likely that his wealth has been obtained through corruption, as such he's defrauded the Russian people of Billions of pounds.
    the Russian authorities did start to investigate it but the investigation was squashed by the Yeltsin government.

is defrauding a government of Billions evil? I'd argue yes

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Yes I think plenty of football fans cared. Just as fans were unhappy about Thaksin and then Sheik Mansour buying Man City, the Qatari money at PSG (and also the forthcoming World Cup), the Saudis buying Newcastle as you say, Carson Yeung the money launderer at Birmingham City, Gaydamak at Portsmouth...

Most of us would be happy if there were no billionaires involved in our football.
    We wouldn’t be living the dream without our one though…..

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    it is very likely that his wealth has been obtained through corruption, as such he's defrauded the Russian people of Billions of pounds.
    the Russian authorities did start to investigate it but the investigation was squashed by the Yeltsin government.

Didn’t he buy some oil company for 250 million then sell it to the Russian state for 12 billion?

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    We wouldn’t be living the dream without our one though…..
    It does make you wonder if any money laundering or something has happened with us

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Didn’t he buy some oil company for 250 million then sell it to the Russian state for 12 billion?
    something like that

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post

I don't dispute how he got his money (nor do i pretend to be an expert on it) but he was born into arguably the most corrupt economy on earth (the USSR) and then worked in business during it's wild west period as hyper-capitalism kicked in.

Sadly, in countries such as Russia (and many others) you have to stay onside with the leader - my point is that doing so is grubby, dubious, morally questionable and all the rest, but I'm not sure he makes him evil or someone who advocates the invasion of Ukraine. Clearly he is being rightly sanctioned, but I don't think we need to turn him into something he may not actually be, let alone demand that all Chelsea fans renounce his name.

Whats his alternative? Jail, like Mikhail Khodorkovsky?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mikhai...ly%20motivated.

Football is a dirty business. I just don't see much benefit on pouring the hate juice all over Abramovich and Chelsea fans when there are probably worse cases ongoing at the moment.

Yeah not like yours you fecking donut
    Why resort to insults ? WTF you on about ?

If we're being honest here, there are rumours surrounding how our own owner Vincent Tan came into his wealth.

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    If we're being honest here, there are rumours surrounding how our own owner Vincent Tan came into his wealth.
    are there? what are they?

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    He also appears in wikileak documents

Quote Originally Posted by Grievous Angel View Post
    Yeah my brother lived on Queen St for 50 years.

Why resort to insults ? WTF you on about ?
    Only a donut could come up with analogy like yours that’s what I’m on about.

Only a donut could come up with analogy like yours that’s what I’m on about.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    If you Google Vincent Tan and 'crony' or 'cronies', you'll get lots of results. Friends in high places.

If Putin himself put cash into CCFC tomorrow half of this board would be divided.

International

Quote Originally Posted by ToTaL ITK View Post
    If Putin himself put cash into CCFC tomorrow half of this board would be divided.
    What would the other half be?