+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gazza Documentary tonight

Re: Gazza Documentary tonight

Quote Originally Posted by Pontprennau Bluebird View Post
    In my opinion he was overrated. Not a patch on Best, Charlton, Duncan Edwards, Charles. Shearer, Beckham, Giggs, Bale, Southall, Dalglish.

He came across as Childish but the documentary shed interesting light on what can happen when pop star footballers go wrong; echoes of Best. Fergie did well to manage Giggs in the spotlight but in later years even that went wrong.

The BBC documentary also described Gaza in terms of “this country.” Even Wogan, an Irishman, referred to “this country.” Gazza wasn’t huge in this country…by which I mean Wales.
    Italia 90 Gazza was most definitely the most talked about sportsman in Wales. He had a brilliant tournament.

At his best a fantastic player.

Just finished watching it, sad to see the decline and torment of someone who had one, enormous, talent and yet was not equipped to deal with media attention in the twentieth/twenty first century (not sure many of us could mind). Just as sad is the fact that bastards such as Rupert Murdoch and Piers Morgan are still peddling their poison after what should have been the turning point of the 2012 Leveson report.

Quote Originally Posted by Mario Miethig View Post
    People say if Gazza joined Man U, Ferguson would have sorted him out and put Gazza on the right path. I disagree! Ferguson had great talents at Utd, before that in the likes of McGrath and Whiteside. He soon got rid of them. Gazza was probably far harder to deal with than those two.
    And Ravel Morrison

Bryan Robson and Glenn Hoddle were both superb players. Completely different.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Just finished watching it, sad to see the decline and torment of someone who had one, enormous, talent and yet was not equipped to deal with media attention in the twentieth/twenty first century (not sure many of us could mind). Just as sad is the fact that bastards such as Rupert Murdoch and Piers Morgan are still peddling their poison after what should have been the turning point of the 2012 Leveson report.
    Same here.

Gascoigne used as 'a story', exploited and basically set up by the likes of Morgan and Rebecca Wade to sell papers.

Has that gobshiite Morgan commented on his social media account about the documetary. Mr rent a gob got an opinion on everything else or has he swerved it like he did the questions from the Leveson inquiry?

Nothing's changed either, which is bigger indictment on the media and probably says something about this country.

Wonder if Chris Evans and Danny Baker still meet up with him.?

Heartbreaking documentary. His own wife was in on too. His PA, his agent/solicitor, his so called mates. Used him and spat him out when he was no longer the golden goose for them.😡

Forgot he could get stuck in too, just remember him for his dribbling, passing and scoring wonder goals, but he could mix it alright. Not the same player after his injury and never really went on to fulfill his unbelievable talent but he was arguably the best player in the world at his peak.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Wonder if Chris Evans and Danny Baker still meet up with him.?
    Sad that Gazza was rubbing shoulders with showbiz celebrities in those days, people who wanted to be seen with him and be his mate. Even sadder that the most (in)famous person he was connected with in later years was Raoul Moat.

First Team

Just watched it this morning and it really is a terrible story of how society uses and spits out people like Gazzer.

At his peak he was really of the best players around but that peak was short lived and his demons were never far from the surface.

Probably the safest part was his mother, at the end, saying that maybe it would have been better if he had been an average player at a small club. Not sure that would have saved him from his excesses though.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    I’ve always wondered how Ferguson would have handled George Best, I was of the opinion that Busby was too lax with him, gave him enough rope to hang himself. Obviously Gascoigne was Ferguson’s era, would a Man Utd move have made him realise his full potential? Or would Fergie gone all Capt Mainwaring and Private Pike on him?
    Fergie had an offer for him accepted by Newcastle and thought he was on his way, but the bright lights and Spurs turned his head.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    Fergie had an offer for him accepted by Newcastle and thought he was on his way, but the bright lights and Spurs turned his head.
    Gascoigne himself said that Spurs promised a house plus a car for his father and a sun bed for his sister.

Perhaps shows the pressure he was under from his family?

I think the Fergie thing is a disrespect to Terry Venables, an excellent man manager in his own right. He treated Gazza like a son, but also like an adult. Treated all his players like men not micro mange them like children. In Venables own words Gazza was a free spirit, managing him with an iron fist might not have produced the results on the pitch. He was arguably the best player in the world when he was at his peak at Spurs and playing under Venables. We all seen what happened to Gazza when he got stressed and his default was to self medicate with the booze.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    Gascoigne himself said that Spurs promised a house plus a car for his father and a sun bed for his sister.

a sunbed for his sister, funny how things have changed so much over the years

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post

I don't think it was family pressure, it was just his naivety. His future income alone could have guaranteed those possessions for his family.

There are people who do because they are talented and then there are people who don’t who stand by and exploit those who can in a cynical and self serving way. There was an arrogant tosser from the Sun bragging about that paper in the first episode (the Mittor was just as bad) - the written media are one of the main contributors towards making the UK what it is today and I’m being far from complimentary when I say that.

Quote Originally Posted by Pontprennau Bluebird View Post
    In my opinion he was overrated. Not a patch on Best, Charlton, Duncan Edwards, Charles. Shearer, Beckham, Giggs, Bale, Southall, Dalglish.

He came across as Childish but the documentary shed interesting light on what can happen when pop star footballers go wrong; echoes of Best. Fergie did well to manage Giggs in the spotlight but in later years even that went wrong.

The BBC documentary also described Gaza in terms of “this country.” Even Wogan, an Irishman, referred to “this country.” Gazza wasn’t huge in this country…by which I mean Wales.
    Agreed

Quote Originally Posted by ninian opinian View Post
    BBC2 9pm for anyone interested.

The documentary will be released in two parts, with both episodes made available on BBC iPlayer on Wednesday 13th April 2022.

The second part of the documentary will be broadcast on BBC Two a week later on Wednesday 20th April.
    With the encouragement of the media he self destructed.
    He most definitely needed stronger guidance but not all players want it and I suspect he didn’t.
    It was interesting to hear. That Venables supposedly cashed in for Spurs as the writing was on the wall.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Heartbreaking documentary. His own wife was in on too. His PA, his agent/solicitor, his so called mates. Used him and spat him out when he was no longer the golden goose for them.😡

Forgot he could get stuck in too, just remember him for his dribbling, passing and scoring wonder goals, but he could mix it alright. Not the same player after his injury and never really went on to fulfill his unbelievable talent but he was arguably the best player in the world at his peak.
    This. I also think there autism in there as well.