+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Good Morning Britain - Boris Johnson Interview

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Good Morning Britain - Boris Johnson Interview

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    I'm afraid the long term solution was to invest more heavily in and prioritise green energy many years ago.

You might want a long term solution but whether you chose to believe it or not, there are people who need a short term solution.

Also, I don't think anybody needs to be an 'energy industry expert' to know categorically that the big firms do not act in the interests of us. So when they announce 'record investment' and a 'commitment to Britain', forgive me for being suspicious about whether we are getting a good deal or not.
    1 - We have invested in green energy. More than almost anywhere else - check it out. Our energy use is transformed.
    2 - I compltetely understand people not short term help
    3 - I agree - their priority is always to profit and shareholders, employees, customers etc. They are private businesses. It doesnt make them immoral or not part of the solution though

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    1 - We have invested in green energy. More than almost anywhere else - check it out. Our energy use is transformed.
    How is that measure relevant, we were less shit than everyone else? We are at quite a significant natural advantage when it comes to renewables because of our geography. You asked for a long term solution, that was it and many people have called for it for years.

2 - I compltetely understand people not short term help
    That didn't really come across.

3 - I agree - their priority is always to profit and shareholders, employees, customers etc. They are private businesses. It doesnt make them immoral or not part of the solution though
    You said immoral, not me. It's why taxing them and spending the revenue on things we need is a better idea than just trusting they will invest in the right things.

How is that measure relevant, we were less shit than everyone else? We are at quite a significant natural advantage when it comes to renewables because of our geography. You asked for a long term solution, that was it and many people have called for it for years.

That didn't really come across.

You said immoral, not me. It's why taxing them and spending the revenue on things we need is a better idea than just trusting they will invest in the right things.
    You are somewhat unfair there. The UK has halved it's use of fossil fuels since 2012 and the use of renewables have grown five fold. It's a quite spectacular change. And it all costs a lot of money to implement. It seems you want cheap energy and for it to be developed at no cost? Utopian.

https://grid.iamkate.com/?msclkid=a7...648dc9d13484d4

You are somewhat unfair there. The UK has halved it's use of fossil fuels since 2012 and the use of renewables have grown five fold. It's a quite spectacular change. And it all costs a lot of money to implement. It seems you want cheap energy and for it to be developed at no cost? Utopian.

https://grid.iamkate.com/?msclkid=a7...648dc9d13484d4
    Precisely my point, why did it take us until 2012 to do it? I will tell you why, because governments around the world are in the pockets of companies, how do we change that? I don't know, but you seem to freely support it.

As a poster said earlier, it is like an abusive relationship. If all of us ordinary folk stop perpetuating these myths and doing the corporations bidding for them that will help.

Precisely my point, why did it take us until 2012 to do it? I will tell you why, because governments around the world are in the pockets of companies, how do we change that? I don't know, but you seem to freely support it.

As a poster said earlier, it is like an abusive relationship. If all of us ordinary folk stop perpetuating these myths and doing the corporations bidding for them that will help.
    God knows what you are on about here to be honest, but you now seem to be unhappy that the UK is in the process of decarbonising at a much more rapid rate than others.

If you can't see a success story for what it is then so be it.

God knows what you are on about here to be honest, but you now seem to be unhappy that the UK is in the process of decarbonising at a much more rapid rate than others.

If you can't see a success story for what it is then so be it.
    You keep believing that climate change started in 2012 and I will keep believing that we should have acted sooner.

If you were half as good at scrutinising politicians as you are at scrutinising pensioners in fuel poverty, you would be a force to reckon with (and also you wouldn't come across as a bit of a twat)

You keep believing that climate change started in 2012 and I will keep believing that we should have acted sooner.

If you were half as good at scrutinising politicians as you are at scrutinising pensioners in fuel poverty, you would be a force to reckon with (and also you wouldn't come across as a bit of a twat)
    Thanks for the kind words.

I don't believe that climate change began in 2012, but the source provided demonstrates the dramatic changes since 2012. If you cared as much about the environment as you did hating the government you would also recognise that as good news - and it's been done in conjunction with Scottish, N.Irish and Welsh governments too.

I'm not scrutinising the pensioner. I'm saying the story that you lot seem to think it's a damning endictment of the government sounds a bit fishy to me, given her costs rose at ten times the rate of the energy price cap.