City away to Shrewsbury in the league cup. I think it was the year we had a bye in the previous round because of some teams plastic pitch.
Anyway, I went on the train with a work colleague who had been to a few away games.
I remember it being 0-0 and City had battered them the whole game but could not score, then Shrewsbury scored with the last kick of the game… a mishit, scuffed shot, that dribbled into the bottom of the net.
Cue City fans in the Grandstand going mad and ripping up the seats, and throwing them at all and sundry.
My mate and I looked at each other and somehow had a feeling that now was a good time to leave.
We just got to the exit when this copper came through randomly whacking people with his truncheon, not caring that those that were leaving were not into fisticuffs.
Luckily the copper behind him, who was just about to lock everyone in, saw that my mate and me just wanted to go home, so he let us through. We then heard the announcement that the last train back to Cardiff was about to leave, so we legged it and just got there in time.