+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Football is Wales' number 1 sport

Re: Football is Wales' number 1 sport

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    In my school you would have to write 100 lines if caught playing with a ball bigger than a tennis ball on school grounds. Didn't resent the rugby orientation during the week but you were under so much pressure at the weekends if you wanted to play football for your local youth club rather than represent the school at rugby.
    My mate was a very good rugby player

In 1984 we played man city away which was a big game for us and he loved city so told the PE rugby nazi that he was going .

He was told that if he didn't play for the team on that Saturday he would never represent the school again so he said yeah whatever and came on the coach with us

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    My mate was a very good rugby player

In 1984 we played man city away which was a big game for us and he loved city so told the PE rugby nazi that he was going .

He was told that if he didn't play for the team on that Saturday he would never represent the school again so he said yeah whatever and came on the coach with us
    Lucky he came on a coach. GMP police dumped each carriage either side of us on the special train back from Manchester Piccadilly on the platform for trashing the carriage whilst we waited in the station. Paul Maddy's finest hour!

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    Lucky he came on a coach. GMP police dumped each carriage either side of us on the special train back from Manchester Piccadilly on the platform for trashing the carriage whilst we waited in the station. Paul Maddy's finest hour!
    Big following that day

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Forced to play rugby and not football like my high school in the 80’s…..
    Forced to play rugby in Welsh schools is an urban myth. Folk make it sound like they were marched on to a rugby pitch by an armed guard.
    I could say i was forced to do RE in school, but it was all part of the curriculum
    When i look back, i can never remember one day when we played rugby in the school playground. It was football every day of the week.
    We had a rugby team for those who were interested, and we also had football and baseball teams.
    In my day most of us who were sport mad, played in all 3.

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    Forced to play rugby in Welsh schools is an urban myth. Folk make it sound like they were marched on to a rugby pitch by an armed guard.
    I could say i was forced to do RE in school, but it was all part of the curriculum
    When i look back, i can never remember one day when we played rugby in the school playground. It was football every day of the week.
    We had a rugby team for those who were interested, and we also had football and baseball teams.
    The two rugby loving PE teachers refused to run a football team…..

Well all i can say about that, is you, your mates and all your parents must have been like church mice. You should have all championed for a football team.
    Im my school (Glan Ely) we even pestered
    the PE teachers to lets us start a cricket team.
    After a while, they gave in and we had a right laugh. We turned up against a Barry team all dressed in their whites. We had shirts and shirts on with every colour of the rainbow.
    We leathered them !

We played football every lunchtime and most of us played for teams outside school, but there was absolutely no interest from the school in coaching us or organising football matches, not like rugby who’d have weekly training sessions and games against other schools. Considering the interest there should have been a far more even split. I alone would definitely have made it as a world class player with more support from the school, there’s probably others

Same here with me.

Well all i can say about that, is you, your mates and all your parents must have been like church mice. You should have all championed for a football team.
    After a while, they gave in and we had a right laugh. We turned up against a Barry team all dressed in their whites. We had shirts and shirts on with every colour of the rainbow.
    We leathered them !
    We formed our own team, sorted lifts from parents etc but the school or council wouldn’t let us do it without a teacher present or some bollocks. No one played rugby after school, we all played football. A few us refused to do rugby in PE and brought a note every week and they couldn’t do anything about it. Bizarre looking back

Rubbish , rugby ruled in almost every secondary school in South and West Wales until the pe teachers were forced to provide football slots through the curriculum

It's no myth and just because you enjoyed all sport doesn't mean the experience of hundreds of thousands of young kids in Wales should be swept aside as if it didn't happened

It's you that is creating the myth that football was given a chance , was it bollocks

We formed our own team, sorted lifts from parents etc but the school or council wouldn’t let us do it without a teacher present or some bollocks. No one played rugby after school, we all played football. A few us refused to do rugby in PE and brought a note every week and they couldn’t do anything about it. Bizarre looking back
    It's a myth , it was the same for me but we must be making it up !

We leathered them !
    My elder brother went to St Illtyds, not a prayer of a school football team, so when him and his schoolmates were 16 they formed their own team. They applied too late to join the Cardiff & District Junior Division but were accepted by the Newport & District League. They paid for their own pitch at Greenway Park and called themselves The Illtydians. They, with parents help, bought their own kit and balls, paid their own expenses to games etc. It was the only way they could play football with school mates in an organised league. Kids of school age should have never had gone to those lengths to play the sport of their choice, all due to the spitefulness of rugby obsessed, football hating teachers.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    My elder brother went to St Illtyds, not a prayer of a school football team, so when him and his schoolmates were 16 they formed their own team. They applied too late to join the Cardiff & District Junior Division but were accepted by the Newport & District League. They paid for their own pitch at Greenway Park and called themselves The Illtydians. They, with parents help, bought their own kit and balls, paid their own expenses to games etc. It was the only way they could play football with school mates in an organised league. Kids of school age should have never had gone to those lengths to play the sport of their choice, all due to the spitefulness of rugby obsessed, football hating teachers.
    Instead of your brother, his mates and the parents going to those lengths why didn’t they put their time and effort into constantly protesting to the school to get football on the menu?
    Same question to all the other’s on this thread moaning about being forced to play rugby.

Instead of your brother, his mates and the parents going to those lengths why didn’t they put their time and effort into constantly protesting to the school to get football on the menu?
    Same question to all the other’s on this thread moaning about being forced to play rugby.
    You really are talking out of your arris

The fact that kids and their parents had to even do this in the first place shows what an appalling way generations of football loving kids were treated .

You shouldn't expect a young kid to stand up to these clowns , it shouldn't have happened in the first place .

But I suppose at least you are accepting this sort of thing did happen 🤔

You really are talking out of your arris

The fact that kids and their parents had to even do this in the first place shows what an appalling way generations of football loving kids were treated .

You shouldn't expect a young kid to stand up to these clowns , it shouldn't have happened in the first place .

But I suppose at least you are accepting this sort of thing did happen 🤔
    Bet you were a sick note kid when it came to PE Sludge. 😂

Any protest to the Brothers who ran the show at St Illtyds at that time would have been futile. It seems that your rugby/football experience was pretty unique in this part of the world if this thread is anything to go by. You’re an extremely lucky chap.

Any protest to the Brothers who ran the show at St Illtyds at that time would have been futile. It seems that your rugby/football experience was pretty unique in this part of the world if this thread is anything to go by. You’re an extremely lucky chap.
    Glan Ely had a bad reputation, but it was diverse school that catered for all sports.
    Guess i was a lucky lad. They even sent our football team over to St Ettiene for a few games.
    By the way Bridgend and Wales flying machine Glen Webbe was a product of Glan Ely.

Bet you were a sick note kid when it came to PE Sludge. 😂
    Not at all , I liked football , rugby , cricket

Just grew to dislike being forced to play rugby every Wednesday, without fail

If you think it's good and normal that the rugby supporting p e teacher didn't ever take us to football and it was up to 2 geography teachers and a few parents to ferry us around ........and organise fixtures .....we had no official ones ......then its pointless trying to remove your rose tinted spectacles

Glan Ely had a bad reputation, but it was diverse school that catered for all sports.
    Guess i was a lucky lad. They even sent our football team over to St Ettiene for a few games.
    By the way Bridgend and Wales flying machine Glen Webbe was a product of Glan Ely.
    I know , I watched him as a kid from the terraces of the Brewery Field

How many kids from Wales were denied the chance to make the grade as footballers because of rugby bias ?

Absolutely hundreds

Not at all , I liked football , rugby , cricket

Just grew to dislike being forced to play rugby every Wednesday, without fail

If you think it's good and normal that the rugby supporting p e teacher didn't ever take us to football and it was up to 2 geography teachers and a few parents to ferry us around ........and organise fixtures .....we had no official ones ......then its pointless trying to remove your rose tinted spectacles
    I never got forced to play any sport in my life.
    Sorry to disappoint. .

Some school that, making aeroplanes as well!!

Sorry to disappoint. .
    You are not disappointing me , its just I don't think you are telling the truth

If you are telling me football was on an equal footing with rugby then I simply don't believe you

Individual players would have broken through for sure but football until recently always took second stage to rugby

I spent two years in a secondary school about 2 miles from your gaffe and it was shocking . The teachers there were tossers . 13 year old kids can't stand up to bullies with a whistle and a rugby ball .

Sorry to disappoint. .
    Glan Ely was more football oriented definitely. I never played rugby once. I think Mr Allen was an ex pro footballer. Same with junior school. Football exclusively

Quote Originally Posted by Lither_1927 View Post
    Glan Ely was more football oriented definitely. I never played rugby once. I think Mr Allen was an ex pro footballer. Same with junior school. Football exclusively
    You can’t tell Sludge that . He wont believe you. It doesn’t fit with his agenda.

Some school that, making aeroplanes as well!!
    Prince Charlie boy landed in a helicopter on our all weather pitch, and the Pretenders played a gig in out school hall.
    Come to think of it, what a great school it was!!
    Hard as nails as well 😂