Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
What fascist texts do you recommend - other than Oswald Moseley?

Any blockbusters from Hitler, Mussolini or Franco you think we should be diving into?

For myself I have read, watched, listened to fascists since the late 1970s. I have read their leaflets and grafitti, counter demonstrated them from the ANL and RAR through to the EDL clowns more recently, and read anti-fascist analysis going back to Trotsky's pamphlets in the 1930s. More recently I have come across pamphlets and books from Umberto Eco and Paul Mason that helped me clarify my thinking about the difference (if any) between right wing populism, authoritarianism, and what has happened in the past 10 years in the USA, UK, Poland, Hungary, Israel, Russia, India, the Philippines and Brazil - and the parallels with European and American fascism in the 1920s and 1930s.

I agree with Mason that there is no single fascist state in the world just now - but many where currents of fascism are gaining serious ground and providing 'the architecture' for other regressive and dangerous movements.
I applaud your history of opposing fascism Jon. Can I ask your position on communism? You cite historical examples like Mussolini etc, and then allude to the last ten years in Hungary, Poland, USA etc.

What of the historical examples of communism around the world? Do you oppose that in equal measure?

That's a genuine open question. I used to be very left wing myself, would wear a CCCP top and generally viewed communism as good, if slightly misguided, until I fully understood the horrors of communism. I wonder whether that's your position?