Quote Originally Posted by jimmyscoular View Post
Admittedly I'm a dinosaur from the '60s, but when and why did Manchester United become so despised? I thought they bought eternal protection from mean-spirited comments after the Munich air disaster. Did they exhaust their credit?
For seasons before United won the initial Premier League the media had kept bringing up how long they had gone without a title, a bit like Liverpool until a few seasons ago.

Alex Ferguson was a love him or hate him character. United were so dominant after that PL winning season that there's something about any person or team that constantly wins that makes people either appreciative or the opposite. Stephen Hendry, Phil Taylor, during their pomp they were either adored or hated. Hendry constantly beating everyone's favourite in 4 world finals probably didn't help him win fans! Some might say that's a jealousy of success. I think it's a desire to see someone else win. There was an arrogance about United in the early days of the PL that didn't endear them to many. How often did they seem to have more injury time than anyone else? They also had an infuriating way of winning games when they were very much second best.

I was fully signed up to the anyone bar Man Utd club after a couple of PL seasons. Seeing them struggle as of late is hilarious! I'd love to see the big 6 struggle, but Utd more than the rest. Leicester winning the PL a few years ago was the best moment in the Premier League's history.