Quote Originally Posted by Undercoverinwurzelland View Post
You're right, all signings really should be covered from the instant they're signed to the second they're released or sign for someone else, but I'm pretty sure that doesn't happen. Clubs just ask their broker to add new players to the schedule as and when they sign them. You may be able to have a clause that gives you some interim cover for new signings before you add them, but almost certainly not up to £15m.
So yes, there is the potential for a short period, especially if you sign someone late at night or at the weekend, when a player you've forked out for isn't covered.
(I work in insurance, and although insurance for professional clubs isn't my thing I've had some experience of it).
Yes I take your point and I understand these ad hoc increments to an insurance schedule happen all the time and are routinely effected. It usually suggests the added risk is not unusual in itself and is added on a batch basis to an existing policy.

However, in that case, wouldn't it be expected that as the risk was not unusual the insurance would have been paid out in the event that the worst happened? Doesn't the fact that the money wasn't paid out suggest that the policyholder hadn't entirely stuck to the terms or maybe recklessly misinterpreted them? If it were the Broker who somehow entered the risk details incorrectly then the club would have had a legitimate claim against the Broker. That didn't seem to happen so I'm scratching my head trying to work out what was amiss.