+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: The Queen.....will matches be postponed

Re: The Queen.....will matches be postponed

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    It will be genuinely funny if Saturday's games go ahead, but tomorrow's don't.

An official EFL statement reads:

Following the passing of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, Saturday's EFL fixtures will be played as scheduled. Players and officials will wear black armbands and there will be a minute's silence before kick-off. However, the matches between Burnley and Norwich, and Tranmere v Stockport scheduled for Friday night have been postponed in line with official mourning guidance, as Her Majesty hated Burnley and she couldn't stand Stockport either.
    😂😂😂

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    It will be genuinely funny if Saturday's games go ahead, but tomorrow's don't.

An official EFL statement reads:

Following the passing of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, Saturday's EFL fixtures will be played as scheduled. Players and officials will wear black armbands as a mark of respect and there will be a minute's silence before kick-off. However, the matches between Burnley and Norwich, and Tranmere and Stockport scheduled for Friday night have been postponed in line with official mourning guidance, as Her Majesty hated Burnley and she couldn't stand Stockport either.
    😂😂😂

Racing off tomorrow with further announcement on ongoing fixtures.

The funeral will probably be a week Monday i hope they arent stopping all sport until then.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post

The funeral will probably be a week Monday i hope they arent stopping all sport until then.
    That's ridiculous. Cancelling loads of sport ffs.

Tomorrow's stage of the Tour of Britain has also been cancelled.

I suspect that we'll see a lot of stuff being cancelled before any countrywide announcement.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post

Monday 19th for the funeral.

Tomorrow’s game in EFL off. That means our game will be off FFS.

Quote Originally Posted by ninian opinian View Post
    Postponing games would be absolutely ridiculous. The cost would be astronomical. Just show respects by having a minutes silence and get on with it.
    Absolutely right.
    That shows no respect and regard to supporters who have paid for transport, accommodation etc to get to these matches - coach firms income etc.
    Also the catering, hospitality linked to these events that have began preparing for these games. Match day staff that need that additional income.

Is it too early for a The Queen isn't really dead thread ?

Shame she didn't go last week, could have avoided that Millwall result then

Quote Originally Posted by 19bluebirds27 View Post
    Absolutely right.
    That shows no respect and regard to supporters who have paid for transport, accommodation etc to get to these matches - coach firms income etc.
    Also the catering, hospitality linked to these events that have began preparing for these games. Match day staff that need that additional income.
    Some things are just plain wrong and cancelling sport is definitely one of them. I guess if someone wanted to mourn they wouldn't have gone to watch the sporting event in the first place. I thought we were supposed to live in a democracy.

Totally OTT, although at least it guarantees us a decent result on sat

I've cancelled meeting up with the in laws next week, fixing my neighbours gate for **** all, taking emails from cretinous ***** in work, and answering my phone. It's what she would've wanted.

FFS Sky Sports News isnt on either.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    I'll be watching Serie A, The Bundesliga, Ramsey & Rodon in France, and whatever is on offer in Spain, just as I do every week.
    Ramsey hamstrung

Quote Originally Posted by 19bluebirds27 View Post
    Absolutely right.
    As if they give a shit about us. Laughable that some people think the royals care.

Quote Originally Posted by Canton Kev View Post
    As if they give a shit about us. Laughable that some people think the royals care.
    all the royals care about is keeping the whole royal show on the road.
    these days they need the support of the public to do that so I assume they will be wanting to maintain their air of importance and play up to the phoney traditions they invent but also not piss everyone off by disrupting things too much.
    so the football may well go ahead .

grassroots going ahead this weekend, cancelled for the 2 weeks after that around here

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    I don’t think we will have any League games until October. I reckon our next three League games will be cancelled.
    It always amazes me how many people do not understand the difference between postponed and cancelled!

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    Some things are just plain wrong and cancelling sport is definitely one of them. I guess if someone wanted to mourn they wouldn't have gone to watch the sporting event in the first place. I thought we were supposed to live in a democracy.
    If they are going to insist on shoving the monarchy down peoples throats, maybe now is a good time to get rid of them?

Quote Originally Posted by cityhammer View Post
    It always amazes me how many people do not understand the difference between postponed and cancelled!
    I suspect they do, it’s like the difference between pedantic and arsehole

lots of strikes have been cancelled as a mark of respect , so maybe all the middle class marxists should get outside the union offices and demand the strikes go ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    If they are going to insist on shoving the monarchy down peoples throats, maybe now is a good time to get rid of them?
    There have been many good times to get rid of them. Every time is a good time. This is just the latest.

The most recent precedent is that the Queen's father, George the sixth, died on 6 February 1952, which was a Wednesday. On Saturday the 9th, City were beaten 4-2 at Sheffield Wednesday in a Second Division match watched by a crowd of 42,867 which was 1,500 up on Wednesday's average for the 51/52 season.

So, no cancelling of fixtures there and, by the look of it, no effect on attendances because of people not thinking it appropriate that there should be any sport going on because of the close proximity to the King's death three days earlier. How did attitudes to royalty in 1952 differ compared to what they are 2022? I don't know if we're more royalist now, but, given everything I know and have read about the fifties, I'd be very surprised if that decade was more anti royal than the current day.

Also, I see strikes called by the Mail workers for today and by the RMT for next week have been cancelled. That's fair enough, I've no problems with that, but, having decided that the right thing is for one part of society to keep on working, wouldn't it be the height of hypocrisy to tell another (the nation's professional sportsmen and women) that they must down tools so to speak until the Queen's funeral?

If we have to go into an "official mourning period" of over a fortnight (seems well over the top to me) and there are moves to cancel all sport during that time, I hope there will be an online petition set up where people can express their disagreement with such a policy.

I'm not really that well qualified to say this and I know it's the sort of thing that gets trotted out whenever someone in the public eye dies, but, from the little I know of the queen, I don't think she would have wanted her beloved horse racing to shut down for more than a fortnight because of her death - the idea that normal ;life should just stop for half a month because someone's died is ludicrous.

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    grassroots going ahead this weekend, cancelled for the 2 weeks after that around here
    Absolute madness.