Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: The Queen.....will matches be postponed

Re: The Queen.....will matches be postponed

Quote Originally Posted by superfeathers View Post
    I suspect they do, it’s like the difference between pedantic and arsehole
    😂😂

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    There have been many good times to get rid of them. Every time is a good time. This is just the latest.
    But how will we children cope without a king? Won't the sky fall in?

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    But how will we children cope without a king? Won't the sky fall in?
    Dont joke about it. There are absolute lunatics believing a rainbow appearing yesterday was some sort of sign. The press are actually giving it air time.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    The most recent precedent is that the Queen's father, George the sixth, died on 6 February 1952, which was a Wednesday. On Saturday the 9th, City were beaten 4-2 at Sheffield Wednesday in a Second Division match watched by a crowd of 42,867 which was 1,500 up on Wednesday's average for the 51/52 season.

So, no cancelling of fixtures there and, by the look of it, no effect on attendances because of people not thinking it appropriate that there should be any sport going on because of the close proximity to the King's death three days earlier. How did attitudes to royalty in 1952 differ compared to what they are 2022? I don't know if we're more royalist now, but, given everything I know and have read about the fifties, I'd be very surprised if that decade was more anti royal than the current day.

Also, I see strikes called by the Mail workers for today and by the RMT for next week have been cancelled. That's fair enough, I've no problems with that, but, having decided that the right thing is for one part of society to keep on working, wouldn't it be the height of hypocrisy to tell another (the nation's professional sportsmen and women) that they must down tools so to speak until the Queen's funeral?

If we have to go into an "official mourning period" of over a fortnight (seems well over the top to me) and there are moves to cancel all sport during that time, I hope there will be an online petition set up where people can express their disagreement with such a policy.

I'm not really that well qualified to say this and I know it's the sort of thing that gets trotted out whenever someone in the public eye dies, but, from the little I know of the queen, I don't think she would have wanted her beloved horse racing to shut down for more than a fortnight because of her death - the idea that normal ;life should just stop for half a month because someone's died is ludicrous.
    It's all a load of bloody virtue signalling? 😉

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Dont joke about it. There are absolute lunatics believing a rainbow appearing yesterday was some sort of sign. The press are actually giving it air time.
    The Head of The Church wasn't she and, presumably, close to God? Another mythological construct for the children to believe in.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    There was a whole bunch of rainbows the day before too. Utter lunacy.

All mainstream TV schedules have been scrapped - even turning on Sky Sports News they are letting us know that the queen has died. The Beeb are saying Truss had a meeting with the plod and agreed to a 10 day official mourning period, so I won't be surprised if fixtures are postponed later today.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    It will be genuinely funny if Saturday's games go ahead, but tomorrow's don't.

An official EFL statement reads:

Following the passing of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, Saturday's EFL fixtures will be played as scheduled. Players and officials will wear black armbands as a mark of respect and there will be a minute's silence before kick-off. However, the matches between Burnley and Norwich, and Tranmere and Stockport scheduled for Friday night have been postponed in line with official mourning guidance, as Her Majesty hated Burnley and she couldn't stand Stockport either.
    Fair play thats brightened up my morning

Wouldn’t surprise me if this weekend and next weekend’s matches will be off. I was set to go to the second day of the test at the Oval today in the cricket, which is now off, and Glamorgan at Lords on Monday, which wouldn’t surprise me if it followed suit.

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    All mainstream TV schedules have been scrapped - even turning on Sky Sports News they are letting us know that the queen has died. The Beeb are saying Truss had a meeting with the plod and agreed to a 10 day official mourning period, so I won't be surprised if fixtures are postponed later today.
    That's likely to be the most successful 10 days of poundland thatchers term of office then

the royals have a tricky path to set with how they handle this.

of course these occasions are there to remind us all that they are better than us and for us to have reverence, but the world has changed.
    if they push it too far and piss everyone off it could hasten the end of the whole charade

Morison's press conference has been cancelled and an update on games is expected later today

What a pathetic country we are

I'm guessing Trev's not in favour of matches being postponed https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/w...brown-24971714

The most annoying thing is cancelling everything fun for mourning but we still have to go to work.

Know your place!

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Morison's press conference has been cancelled and an update on games is expected later today

What a pathetic country we are
    Agreed

off to london now hope my concert i,m going to later is not cancelled !

The FA National Futsal series have announced no games this weekend I guess the football league will follow suit later

Strikes me that letting games go ahead, with a minutes silence, armbands etc is a much better way to do it. Agree that no games need take place on the day of the funeral perhaps, but it's not in the spirit of things to cancel peoples plans in my opinion.

The minutes silence at Old Trafford last night was impeccable and actually quite something. Surely that is better than disrupting all those peoples plans?

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    Strikes me that letting games go ahead, with a minutes silence, armbands etc is a much better way to do it. Agree that no games need take place on the day of the funeral perhaps, but it's not in the spirit of things to cancel peoples plans in my opinion.

The minutes silence at Old Trafford last night was impeccable and actually quite something. Surely that is better than disrupting all those peoples plans?
    Don’t be silly. We do minute silences for regular people. The queen was so much more than that because… uh… she was born in the right place.
    State mandated mourning only please.

spot on! respectfully acknowledge her with a minutes silence or applause and then move on. people are depressed enough right now and don't need this added to by taking away the fun things.

Quote Originally Posted by Taffy Blue in Berkshire View Post
    spot on! respectfully acknowledge her with a minutes silence or applause and then move on. people are depressed enough right now and don't need this added to by taking away the fun things.
    Spot on

When my dad died we needed distraction and football was great for that and in fact three of my family went to a game after my dad's death and enjoyed it so much they bought seasons tickets the next year and still have them 12 years on

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody's Rep View Post
    Spot on

When my dad died we needed distraction and football was great for that and in fact three of my family went to a game after my dad's death and enjoyed it so much they bought seasons tickets the next year and still have them 12 years on
    For Cardiff City? I think your late Dad is having the last laugh there mate!

As were are in the moment of her passing right now.
    The respects paid immediately this weekend will be fitting as it’s at the forefront of our minds - thanks to the media etc.

Fast forward 2 weeks of cancelled matches and when we are eventually back at the stadiums and then be requested to observe silence or applause just won’t have the same emotion.

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    Why would Truss have a meeting with the policeman from Noddy

Totally agree

Lots of people bleating about Kevin Bridges’ incredibly tame opening to his show last night, would love to see the Venn Diagram of people who use the words “snowflake” and “cancel culture” vs people who get incredibly offended if not everyone’s on their knees about a rich old woman they never met passing away

https://twitter.com/parkheadrfb/stat...YjP00Ldj9oVq6Q