Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
I think you are right about this. I was in favour of the club challenging the Nantes fee if (as it was claimed) the contract was incomplete and that was in major part due to parties other than Cardiff City FC. But rightly or wrongly we now have a verdict from CAS that backs Nantes and FIFA.

There is the possibility of a further appeal via the Swiss courts, but only on the basis that an error in law has been made at an earlier stage - if that is done it seems like a desperate exercise in kicking the can down the road to buy more time, but probably won't delay FIFA sanctions - with a three window transfer ban for starters. There is also the probability (based on Dalman's previous statements) of civil action against the organisers of the flight - but if that goes ahead it should be in the background and not affect fee payments.

Cardiff/Tan should pay the Sala fee. A comprehensive statement on the contract and insurance situation, the FIFA and CAS rulings, and any planned civil action, would help with the fans and press, but I suspect that would be too embarrassing. But it does feel as if this sad and sorry saga has hamstrung the club - not just financially, but emotionally too. Tan and Dalman both give off a sense of deep grievance and anger - but as more times goes by that looks like an indulgence the club cannot afford.
I think that's an excellent summary of the situation Jon. However it only serves to underline the fact that the Sala tragedy has become a watershed event for the club and it's owner. I think for both financial and emotional reasons it would be better for Tan and the fan base equally if we part company and the club searches for new beginnings.