+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Cameron Coxe

Cameron Coxe

I see that Cameron Coxe played for Boreham
    Wood today in their win over Bristol Rovers. Wasn't there a headline after he left the City that Man City were interested? Yet he finds himself outside of the football league.

Re: Cameron Coxe

Most of our recent crop of youngsters appear not to reach the big time. Who other than Rabbi Montando is playing top class football? Having said that, I thought James Waite looked good for Newport County yesterday.

Kieran Evans at Torquay is in and out of their team. Chanda Zimba looks nothing special. James Connolly at Bristol Rovers may be okay.
    One we missed out on is Lockyer of Luton.

Help me out; which of our under 21’s/23’s have gone on to have decent careers in the top two divisions over the last decade?

Quote Originally Posted by Stanmore Bluebird View Post
    Most of our recent crop of youngsters appear not to reach the big time. Who other than Rabbi Montando is playing top class football? Having said that, I thought James Waite looked good for Newport County yesterday.

Kieran Evans at Torquay is in and out of their team. Chanda Zimba looks nothing special. James Connolly at Bristol Rovers may be okay.

Help me out; which of our under 21’s/23’s have gone on to have decent careers in the top two divisions over the last decade?
    Isn’t Keiron Evans on loan there? He’s also been out with an injury, ribs maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by Stanmore Bluebird View Post

Semi Ajayi

Quote Originally Posted by Loramski View Post
    Semi Ajayi

Oshilaja had a season in the championship. He’s played nearly 250 football league games, over 200
    of them at League one or Championship level, mainly League one.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Oshilaja had a season in the championship. He’s played nearly 250 football league games, over 200
    of them at League one or Championship level, mainly League one.
    You've confused me here. Ajayi has played nearly 150 Championship games and had a season in the Prem. I know he was older than Zimba and Connolly when he signed for us but I'm not sure how he doesn't count as going from our under-23s to have a decent career in the top two divisions?

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Bosch View Post
    I see that Cameron Coxe played for Boreham
    Wood today in their win over Bristol Rovers. Wasn't there a headline after he left the City that Man City were interested? Yet he finds himself outside of the football league.
    The Man City link was clearly nonsense. Coxe was out of his depth on the few occasions that he appeared for our first team. Performances in under-23s football count for little when assessing the prospects of a young player.

You've confused me here. Ajayi has played nearly 150 Championship games and had a season in the Prem. I know he was older than Zimba and Connolly when he signed for us but I'm not sure how he doesn't count as going from our under-23s to have a decent career in the top two divisions?
    Ajayi was 21, nearly 22 when he joined us, I wouldn’t exactly class him as one of our youngsters.

Oshilaja was with us from 16 and come
    through our system.

Ajayi was 21, nearly 22 when he joined us, I wouldn’t exactly class him as one of our youngsters.

Oshilaja was with us from 16 and come
    through our system.
    Neither would I but he brought up Zimba and Connolly so obviously he wasn't only looking for Academy products. He asked 'which of our under 21/23s have gone on to have a decent career in the top two divisions?'. I enjoyed watching Oshilaja here but surely Ajayi is a better answer unless you reckon 21 is over 23.

Ben Wilson has been a regular in goal for Coventry this season, although; given how little he had to do down here a few weeks back, I could have played for them and kept a clean sheet.

Neither would I but he brought up Zimba and Connolly so obviously he wasn't only looking for Academy products. He asked 'which of our under 21/23s have gone on to have a decent career in the top two divisions?'. I enjoyed watching Oshilaja here but surely Ajayi is a better answer unless you reckon 21 is over 23.
    Oh, dont be so pedantic. I initially replied with a to your post because I honestly thought you were taking the piss as weve literally had no-one come through in the last decade thats gone on to have a career in the top two divisions, so we have to clutch at straws to suggest someone like Ajayi as one of our "youngsters".

Aaaaanyway, back to the thread in hand, maybe not top two divisions but Declan John has made a decent living out of football. Over 150 appearences across all 4 divisions and the Scottish SPL.

Didn't we release Andrew Hughes? He's gone on to have a solid career, should have got some Wales caps

Regan Pooles not doing too bad. Only 24 and racked up nearly 200 first team appearences, mainly at league 1 level. Albeit released by City at 15 and come through Newports youth system.

With the influx of foreign players in the Premier League for a young homegrown player to make the grade even at Championship level these days you have to be a very, very good footballer. We all want to see our own young players brought through the system but whilst we are operating at Championship level I think its a lot more difficult than people think.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Didn't we release Andrew Hughes? He's gone on to have a solid career, should have got some Wales caps
    Was with City from 7 to 15 I just read. Didnt realise that.

Joe Jacobson has had a solid league career, albeit Legaues 1 and 2, with over 500 league appearences and rewarded with a season at Championship level a couple of years ago.

Yes, he's not progressed but it's not to throw out the baby with the bath water. Some may have progressed if they had a bit better coaching at a good academy. There's such a fine line.

Conversley we can't play every youth player on the basis they may be a future star.

It's all about having the infrastructure there to pick out the stars which slowly we're getting to.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    He was with our Academy yes.

Tom James signed a two year deal with Leyton Orient in the summer and looks like he's going to be in League One next season.

McCauley Southam is back in the Stockport team in recent weeks.

Rollin Menayese has 150 appearances in Leagues one and Two behind him now.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Tom James signed a two year deal with Leyton Orient in the summer and looks like he's going to be in League One next season.

McCauley Southam is back in the Stockport team in recent weeks.

Rollin Menayese has 150 appearances in Leagues one and Two behind him now.
    Sam Bowen struggling a tad to adapt to League Two. Hasn’t been involved in the league for a couple of months. Games I’ve watched he’s on a different mentality to a lot of his team mates. He’s passing the ball and not getting back like he would at Cardiff and it’s a lot more physical than development football. Ironically his better games have been in the league cup and papa johns trophy against higher level opposition when he’s had a bit more time on the ball.

In hindsight maybe should have seen out his last year at Cardiff and gone out on loan at least then next year when out of contract at Cardiff then could have gone down to league 1 or 2. Think he might have jumped ship a year too early. Especially now Morison has gone within 3 months of the new season starting.

Sam Bowen struggling a tad to adapt to League Two. Hasn’t been involved in the league for a couple of months. Games I’ve watched he’s on a different mentality to a lot of his team mates. He’s passing the ball and not getting back like he would at Cardiff and it’s a lot more physical than development football. Ironically his better games have been in the league cup and papa johns trophy against higher level opposition when he’s had a bit more time on the ball.

In hindsight maybe should have seen out his last year at Cardiff and gone out on loan at least then next year when out of contract at Cardiff then could have gone down to league 1 or 2. Think he might have jumped ship a year too early. Especially now Morison has gone within 3 months of the new season starting.
    Yes, it might sound daft with him on the bench all the time for a team near the relegation places in League Two, but I still think there’s a potential Championship player there. I’ve watched County three or four times in recent weeks and Coughlin’s really taken them back to basics - it’s hard to see Bowen getting back into contention there.

The game with Derby on Sunday was the best I’ve seen from County this season, but, James Waite, another player with above League Two skill levels, went about twenty minutes without getting a kick in the second half.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Yes, it might sound daft with him on the bench all the time for a team near the relegation places in League Two, but I still think there’s a potential Championship player there. I’ve watched County three or four times in recent weeks and Coughlin’s really taken them back to basics - it’s hard to see Bowen getting back into contention there.

The game with Derby on Sunday was the best I’ve seen from County this season, but, James Waite, another player with above League Two skill levels, went about twenty minutes without getting a kick in the second half.
    Yes I agree. The few games he had for Citys first team he impressed much more than any game he I’ve seen him for County.

Cheltenham was an option in the summer I think maybe the better option in hindsight.

Coughlan was very much a run all day, battling lower league midfielder in his time and his teams are set up exactly the same. Like you say it’s hard to see him breaking in but even if he does he’s going to be asked to play a game that is not really his game.