+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Wizz pulling out of Cardiff Airport

Re: Wizz pulling out of Cardiff Airport

They are currently only doing two destinations from Cardiff Milan and Bucharest

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    The airport is another disaster for Welsh Labour. I wasn't against them taking it on at the time but not to continually pump tax payer money into it, whatever their plan was, it has failed.

The list of failures mount up, unlike the uk government who rightfully are challenged and ridiculed, labour here continually get a free ride because it's Wales&Labour forever

UK politics badly needs a shake up, new parties, new election system. It's just the same old shit everywhere, only here there's zero challenge to Labour unless the nationalists get in, which would be even worse somehow.
    what are you talking about, it wasn't a disaster at all, it's saved the whole airport from inevitable closure by now, and they were well on track to double passenger numbers within 10 years if it hadn't been for COVID, and that would have put it in a much better place to be able to secure even more volume, and that's without even being able to drop the APD.
    if the industry bounces back from COVID then they'll have the start rebuilding it back up again but I don't see how anyone can say they've done a terrible job so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    what are you talking about, it wasn't a disaster at all, it's saved the whole airport from inevitable closure by now, and they were well on track to double passenger numbers within 10 years if it hadn't been for COVID, and that would have put it in a much better place to be able to secure even more volume, and that's without even being able to drop the APD.
    if the industry bounces back from COVID then they'll have the start rebuilding it back up again but I don't see how anyone can say they've done a terrible job so far.
    Just imagine how many other businesses would have folded if Dripford (Drakeford for those offended ) had got his wish and locked Wales down for longer. The reason he didn’t is because Boris wouldn’t give him any more money.

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    Just imagine how many other businesses would have folded if Dripford (Drakeford for those offended ) had got his wish and locked Wales down for longer. The reason he didn’t is because Boris wouldn’t give him any more money.
    really, how many more flights do you think would taking off from Cardiff if they had had the same lockdown rules as England?

really, how many more flights do you think would taking off from Cardiff if they had had the same lockdown rules as England?
    No idea , I was not talking about flights.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/w...mpaign=organic

Drakeford represents the worst of devolution. He glories in all the trappings of power, but avoids any genuine responsibility. Over a hundred years, Wales has produced some of Britain’s greatest leaders. David Lloyd George, Nye Bevan and Roy Jenkins were all major figures, capable of reshaping the political landscape. They were reformers of vision.

“Devolution, however, has elevated political pygmies to positions of power and influence. Drakeford will leave behind a legacy of failure, whinging and division. Wales is capable of much better – and if devolution can’t produce more inspiring leaders, we would be better off without it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnysideup View Post
    Cardiff can accommodate the big jumbo’s
    We flew to Toronto from there and also Florida
    Until recently Qatar Airlines had a regular service
    It’s all down to this landing tax?
    Airlines don’t want to pay it
    Is there someone on the board that actually understands the reasoning behind inflated tax for Cardiff and not for the likes of Bristol??
    Would be great if cardiff started doing trans-Atlantic flights, knocking 30 mins off flight time and maybe attract people from the Bristol area who might not fancy the hell that is Gatwick and possibly Heathrow. Apart from Amsterdam are there actually any scheduled flights from there now?

Drakeford represents the worst of devolution. He glories in all the trappings of power, but avoids any genuine responsibility. Over a hundred years, Wales has produced some of Britain’s greatest leaders. David Lloyd George, Nye Bevan and Roy Jenkins were all major figures, capable of reshaping the political landscape. They were reformers of vision.

“Devolution, however, has elevated political pygmies to positions of power and influence. Drakeford will leave behind a legacy of failure, whinging and division. Wales is capable of much better – and if devolution can’t produce more inspiring leaders, we would be better off without it.
    Did you write that or is it in the article ?

Roy Jenkins was hopeless

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    Ok we can agree to differ, I would see it as an opportunity to get on the front foot and steal some business from Bristol while the situation was quiet, but they were faffing around with harsher covid measures and getting on the telly.
    Feck me, this is a new low for this board.

Cardiff airport should have spent Covid lockdown stealing business from Bristol airport. I presume you agreed with the Government parties, Cummins at that castle after an eye test etc. Words fail me.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Feck me, this is a new low for this board.

Cardiff airport should have spent Covid lockdown stealing business from Bristol airport. I presume you agreed with the Government parties, Cummins at that castle after an eye test etc. Words fail me.
    Jesus, it's a bit early to go on the sherry, come back when you sobber up, I can't understand what you are trying to say, we are talking about Cardiff airport?

In answer to the totally irrelevant post, no parties shouldn't have gone on and Cummings is a tool and eventually got the sack?

Cardiff airport should be trying to beat its nearest competitor, Bristol airport at every opportunity.

International

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Would be great if cardiff started doing trans-Atlantic flights, knocking 30 mins off flight time and maybe attract people from the Bristol area who might not fancy the hell that is Gatwick and possibly Heathrow. Apart from Amsterdam are there actually any scheduled flights from there now?
    Exactly good post, it is a brilliant opportunity!

International

Totally agree, spot on!

International

Again spot on, Boris was for business, Drakeford was for keeping it locked up, don't worry about the economy, pay them furlough to stay at home. We'll be paying the furlough bill for the next 40 years.

International

I wonder if we will get Qatar airline flights ?

Yes that would be good in the longer term, better still of they could get a US soil departure gate like they have in Dublin, so you could do US immigration in Cardiff then when you reach the other side you just walk out the door. If I'm flying to the East coast US that;s my preferred route these days Cardiff-Dublin-USA.

Of course I'm not sure if the States would want to bother with another one of those so close to Dublin.

Something ike that coupled with a direct train into the terminal, with trains coming straight through from london to the airport could be massive.

But before Cardiff can even start to contemplate any of these grand schemes they need to get the passenger numbers back up to a much higher level, and that will be a gradual process .
    They were previously making very good progress, and were probably approaching a level where they could start to be more successful in attracting more operators, but unfortunately Covid has put us right back to square one.

International

Yes that would be good in the longer term, better still of they could get a US soil departure gate like they have in Dublin, so you could do US immigration in Cardiff then when you reach the other side you just walk out the door. If I'm flying to the East coast US that;s my preferred route these days Cardiff-Dublin-USA.

Of course I'm not sure if the States would want to bother with another one of those so close to Dublin.

Something ike that coupled with a direct train into the terminal, with trains coming straight through from london to the airport could be massive.

But before Cardiff can even start to contemplate any of these grand schemes they need to get the passenger numbers back up to a much higher level, and that will be a gradual process .
    They were previously making very good progress, and were probably approaching a level where they could start to be more successful in attracting more operators, but unfortunately Covid has put us right back to square one.
    We need a Ryanair, or Easyjet, if you get one of them it would improve quickly.

We had BMIBaby years ago they were pretty good, and never properly replaced, it's frustratingly easy to sort, and this is not like running the NHS.

Sounds like a crap idea

Not with their human rights record.

We had BMIBaby years ago they were pretty good, and never properly replaced, it's frustratingly easy to sort, and this is not like running the NHS.
    we can't get ryanair or easyJet without boosting the passenger numbers first, it's a bit chicken and egg, but it works out more expensive for ryanair to operate out of a smaller airport, APD would help to shift the equation, but I still think we would need to grow Cardiff significantly first before someone like Ryanair or easyJet would consider returning

Ryanair have been flying from Cardiff for some time

The fact that it hasn't really expanded much hasn't filled me with confidence

the disparity with Bristol airport happened a long time before the Welsh government got involved
    The big change happened when Cardiff and Bristol competed for Go, the British Airways Low Cost Airline. this was in 2001 and Bristol won. Then Easyjet bought Go and rapidly expanded. Go were, by far, the primary customer for Bristol as the airport grew. Prior to 2001, the numbers flying from Cardiff and Bristol were broadly similar. Cardiff then competed with Teeside for the next Lo-Cost Carrier off the block - BMIBaby. I was involved in securing the deal. You may recall that BMIBaby had an aircraft livery dedicated to marketing Wales. However BMIBaby were nowhere near as successful as RyanAir and Easyjet and eventually folded.

Again spot on, Boris was for business, Drakeford was for keeping it locked up, don't worry about the economy, pay them furlough to stay at home. We'll be paying the furlough bill for the next 40 years.
    How is it the shyster Johnson is referred to as Boris and Mark is referred to as Drakeford?

I’m sure our esteemed leader had a word, they are looking for a new club to invest in too arent they? Is that why he went to Qatar to get them to buy ccfc…..

International

I’m sure our esteemed leader had a word, they are looking for a new club to invest in too arent they? Is that why he went to Qatar to get them to buy ccfc…..
    No such thing as a free lunch

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    How is it the shyster Johnson is referred to as Boris and Mark is referred to as Drakeford?
    Drakeford is 'Mr Tortoise'