+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Transfer Embargoes, Sala Payments Etc

First Team

Transfer Embargoes, Sala Payments Etc

Anyone know the rules on how all this plays out going forward?

Are we still under a partial embargo when the Summer transfer portal opens?

Re: Transfer Embargoes, Sala Payments Etc

Quote Originally Posted by az city View Post

Summer and next January I believe, unless the board can convince the EFL otherwise.

First Team

Quote Originally Posted by Undercoverinwurzelland View Post
    Summer and next January I believe, unless the board can convince the EFL otherwise.
    Cripes, we're doomed.

Cripes, we're doomed.
    Yeh, we are in a world of bother. Add to that, most of the squad have another year left at least. Who is going to take the likes of Sawyers and Simpson off our hands?

Assuming the transfer was for an up front payment of x with add ons I assume, why do we need to pay it all anyway? Or was it 15 mill all up front which would be unusual?

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody's Rep View Post
    Assuming the transfer was for an up front payment of x with add ons I assume, why do we need to pay it all anyway? Or was it 15 mill all up front which would be unusual?
    It was 3 separate €5m payments, so the next one will be due soon (if it isn't already).

We'll need to pay interest on them, so it will cost closer to 7m rather than 5m.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    It was 3 separate €5m payments, so the next one will be due soon (if it isn't already).

We'll need to pay interest on them, so it will cost closer to 7m rather than 5m.
    they should all have been due by now, they were due January 2019, 2020 and 2021 i think, unless we've agreed another payment schedule with Nantes

First Team

If they paid the remaining Sala fee in full would the transfer embargo be rescinded?

With what was being reported no, it has nothing to do with what we pay but the fact we paid the last one more than a certain number of days after the FA put us under embargo. How true and accurate that is I have no idea, but it seems like we are buggered.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Bluebird View Post
    With what was being reported no, it has nothing to do with what we pay but the fact we paid the last one more than a certain number of days after the FA put us under embargo. How true and accurate that is I have no idea, but it seems like we are buggered.
    It makes the situation all the more odd.

If we were still in two minds of paying you'd think they'd set that deadline as the very last day to consider paying. To let the deadline lapse and then pay it seems very odd but then this is CCFC under Tan.

Maybe it was the fact we could not get our loan players back that forced their hand.

First Team

From the point of view that it would ease our relegation worries, I really don't understand why they decided to pay the first installment. Clearly all it's allowed us to do is mop up a cheap loan, get McG back and sign an unattached player. I wonder if whoever decided to pay the first installment knew what the implications were. Nothing would surprise me with Cardiff.

(As an aside, I'm not arguing for not paying the transfer fee. Morally, we owe it.)

First Team

Quote Originally Posted by blue lewj View Post
    It makes the situation all the more odd.

If we were still in two minds of paying you'd think they'd set that deadline as the very last day to consider paying. To let the deadline lapse and then pay it seems very odd but then this is CCFC under Tan.

Maybe it was the fact we could not get our loan players back that forced their hand.
    Aye, true. But 6M to get McG back?

Aye, true. But 6M to get McG back?
    None of it makes sense.
    I've typed it on here time and again that there rarely seems any rhyme or reason to what we have done.

In an ideal world we pay the Sala money before the interest started accruing and then go after the parties we feel were responsible for reimbursement.
    The way we've done it has left us with a hefty legal bill, interest on the original amount and under embargo.

The way we have gone about the situation has resulted in the maximum amount payable and the severest penalties.
    I don't know why we paid it when we did or what the thinking was behind it. I just can't read what our club is going to do from one crisis to the next.

It's hard to come up with any other explanation that we lurch from crisis to crisis making snap decisions without a full understanding of the circumstances or any hint of a long term plan. Whether that's due to the lack of competency at any level, the whims of an eccentric billionaire miles away in a different time zone who doesn't stay in touch with the day to day running of the club or a combination of both seems up for interpretation.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Bluebird View Post
    It's hard to come up with any other explanation that we lurch from crisis to crisis making snap decisions without a full understanding of the circumstances or any hint of a long term plan. Whether that's due to the lack of competency at any level, the whims of an eccentric billionaire miles away in a different time zone who doesn't stay in touch with the day to day running of the club or a combination of both seems up for interpretation.
    If i had to make a choice between the business competency (and ability to run a football club) of Tan and that of the people who have posted in this thread previously, I know where my money would go. Hint - the Malaysian billionaire would win hands down.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    If i had to make a choice between the business competency (and ability to run a football club) of Tan and that of the people who have posted in this thread previously, I know where my money would go. Hint - the Malaysian billionaire would win hands down.
    Thanks Mehmet 🙆*♂️

Yeah a few years back I would have agreed with you, but now I'm not so sure I think there's a few on here that could make some better decisions. and it's not just on CCMB that people can't work out what direction the club is being taken.

From this and another dozen similar threads it is clear that none of us know the status of the EFL secondary embargo (on paying transfer fees), how long it will last and whether it can or will be cleared by catching up on the remaining Sala fee payments to Nantes.

Nor do we know if FIFA will impose a new embargo if the 2nd or 3rd tranches are not paid by whatever deadline is now in force. Are the remaining payments due now, or as deferred annual instalments after the first payment, or after the dates of the FIFA or CAS rulings? With interest of course.

This is crucial to understanding the situation Cardiff are in now and will be in over the next year or more.

The questions are obvious.

It would be good if the club (preferably), the EFL, or a competent sports journalist (or WOL) would provide the answers.

But silence, misinformation and confusion seems to be what's on offer!

First Team

Did you see his 'Hint'? Hardly cryptic.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    From this and another dozen similar threads it is clear that none of us know the status of the EFL secondary embargo (on paying transfer fees), how long it will last and whether it can or will be cleared by catching up on the remaining Sala fee payments to Nantes.

Nor do we know if FIFA will impose a new embargo if the 2nd or 3rd tranches are not paid by whatever deadline is now in force. Are the remaining payments due now, or as deferred annual instalments after the first payment, or after the dates of the FIFA or CAS rulings? With interest of course.

This is crucial to understanding the situation Cardiff are in now and will be in over the next year or more.

The questions are obvious.

It would be good if the club (preferably), the EFL, or a competent sports journalist (or WOL) would provide the answers.

But silence, misinformation and confusion seems to be what's on offer!
    That's a pretty accurate sum up.

Unless I have missed something- whatever we do in the short term will not improve the position we are in.

My understanding is that we (Cardiff City) needed to pay the first instalment of the Sala fee to Nantes within thirty days of the EFL embargo being imposed, the failure to do that means that restrictions are still in place. The "full transfer" embargoes imposed by FIFA and EFL have been overturned after the first part of the Sala transfer fee was paid BUT we still cannot pay a fee for players until 2024 and are restricted to free transfers and loanees only. The punishment for late payment?

Is this not the case?

Quote Originally Posted by olderblue View Post
    Thanks Mehmet 🙆*♂️
    Yep no one has robbed Tan blind more than our mehmet……how he has managed to keep that role all these years defies belief.

Quote Originally Posted by The Prophet of Doom View Post
    Unless I have missed something- whatever we do in the short term will not improve the position we are in.

My understanding is that we (Cardiff City) needed to pay the first instalment of the Sala fee to Nantes within thirty days of the EFL embargo being imposed, the failure to do that means that restrictions are still in place. The "full transfer" embargoes imposed by FIFA and EFL have been overturned after the first part of the Sala transfer fee was paid BUT we still cannot pay a fee for players until 2024 and are restricted to free transfers and loanees only. The punishment for late payment?

Is this not the case?
    Regulation 51.6.2 confirms it is until the end of next season so no money can be paid in the summer or next winter - Microsoft Word - Regulations Season 2021-22 Final (updated August 2021) (efl.com)

Thanks PontBlue - my synopsis and understanding was correct.

We are in a tight spot and no mistake.