+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Minimising Risk To Win

Minimising Risk To Win

Romaine Sawyers' statement below in my view is so true :

"Earlier on in my career I would have struggled (with the style), but now I know what the gaffer is expecting from us," the player said. "It's about minimising risks, getting up the pitch, picking up on second balls and playing from there.

We can only play to our strengths, forcing players to play differently will end in disaster.

All fans want is to win .. whatever it takes ,that has always been the way until the new era of robotic passing footy ,played by the few who can afford the best , not by the many .

I played for years and the key for me was a good second ball win performances, it usually won or saved games .

Re: Minimising Risk To Win

Romaine Sawyers didn't say the last three paragraphs, that was North Cardiff Blue in The Table thread.

No back four, or five for that matter, ever scored a goal at the half way line. Get the damn thing in the box.
    Last edited by Dave Blue; 23-02-23 at 12:24. Reason: Typo

International

Quote Originally Posted by Loramski View Post
    Romaine Sawyers didn't say the last three paragraphs, that was North Cardiff Blue in The Table thread.
    Apologies, I quickly cut and pasted that from here because we were discussing the style of play on that thread, I've included Life on Mars comments by the look of it.

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    Apologies, I quickly cut and pasted that from here because we were discussing the style of play on that thread, I've included Life on Mars comments by the look of it.
    Well I can tell you what your first mistake there was...

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Romaine Sawyers' statement below in my view is so true :

"Earlier on in my career I would have struggled (with the style), but now I know what the gaffer is expecting from us," the player said. "It's about minimising risks, getting up the pitch, picking up on second balls and playing from there.

We can only play to our strengths, forcing players to play differently will end in disaster.

All fans want is to win .. whatever it takes ,that has always been the way until the new era of robotic passing footy ,played by the few who can afford the best , not by the many .

I played for years and the key for me was a good second ball win performances, it usually won or saved games .
    Can you give me a list of the goals we’ve conceded this season which were directly down to us playing out from the back please?

No worries, my mistake, it's just that he left some quotation marks out so it gives the impression that Sawyers was responsible for all of that stream of consciousness rather than just the first paragraph. As Lardy has already suggested, however quickly you were doing it all sorts of alarm bells should've been going off in your head as you were copy and pasting something of LOM's.

https://youtu.be/yt8Btf1FOxY
    VT's favourite goal did.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Blue View Post
    No back four, or five for that matter, ever scored a goal at the half way line. Get the damn thing in the box.
    Which gets headed away and the opposition are on the break.

Quote Originally Posted by skunkatron View Post
    https://youtu.be/yt8Btf1FOxY
    VT's favourite goal did.
    Who knew that goal would shape the club’s philosophy for the next decade and more

Folk like to attack me, some are so pretentious . Why say anything. It is becoming a nasty little message board.. that's supposed to be for fans if the same club

Quote Originally Posted by Loramski View Post
    No worries, my mistake, it's just that he left some quotation marks out so it gives the impression that Sawyers was responsible for all of that stream of consciousness rather than just the first paragraph. As Lardy has already suggested, however quickly you were doing it all sorts of alarm bells should've been going off in your head as you were copy and pasting something of LOM's.
    How sad .

Folk like to attack me, some are so pretentious . Why say anything. It is becoming a nasty little message board.. that's supposed to be for fans if the same club
    Playing the victim now, Eh? Ironic coming from you, considering the vile far right shit you spout about 'Woke' etc. Problem is that you're a nasty person, if your posts are anything to go by, that's why people have a go at you.

Live by the sword..........................

Folk like to attack me, some are so pretentious . Why say anything. It is becoming a nasty little message board..
    And you’re just about the nastiest contributor here. Day after day you start inflammatory threads that have absolutely nothing to do with football and are designed only to cause friction. You revel in thrusting your warped view of the world on others, and then start complaining because people think you’re a ****. Well tough shit. You’re reaping what you sow.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Playing the victim now, Eh? Ironic coming from you, considering the vile far right shit you spout about 'Woke' etc. Problem is that you're a nasty person, if your posts are anything to go by, that's why people have a go at you.
    He’s a bigoted old prick

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    He’s a bigoted old prick

Disappointing to see there's been no answer to the question I asked LoM about providing a list of all of the goals we've conceded this season as a direct result of us playing out from the back. The fact I've not had an answer may be down to there not being such a list as far as I can tell - in fact, I'm not aware of a single goal conceded in the league that can be put down to it.

On the other hand, there are examples (e.g. Bristol City, Millwall, Middlesbrough and Wigan) of us being ill equipped to defend high balls coming into our penalty area - I accept that the return of McGuinness and signings of Kaba and Wickham should mean we're better equipped to defend set pieces at least.

This goes some of the way towards explaining why I think a line like

"We can only play to our strengths, forcing players to play differently will end in disaster."

as used by LoM in this thread is drivel. The suggestion that we're only in the position we're in because we turned away from the playing style we had for most of the past decade and more is rubbish in my opinion.

We had a squad that could only play one way as evidenced by Neil Harris giving up on his attempt to play more football and Steve Morison not even attempting to start his quest for a different playing style until last summer. Morison's rebuilding job left us with a squad which, again, could only play one way, but it was a complete contrast to the only way we could play a few months earlier!

We're better equipped to play a more direct game now, but we're in the trouble we are because we've been crap at sticking the ball in the net - nothing more, nothing less. I understand Lamouchi deciding on a change of approach, but to claim that we're now playing to our strengths and we have a squad which was always best suited to the style our manager wants to play is twaddle.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Disappointing to see there's been no answer to the question I asked LoM about providing a list of all of the goals we've conceded this season as a direct result of us playing out from the back. The fact I've not had an answer may be down to there not being such a list as far as I can tell - in fact, I'm not aware of a single goal conceded in the league that can be put down to it.

On the other hand, there are examples (e.g. Bristol City, Millwall, Middlesbrough and Wigan) of us being ill equipped to defend high balls coming into our penalty area - I accept that the return of McGuinness and signings of Kaba and Wickham should mean we're better equipped to defend set pieces at least.

This goes some of the way towards explaining why I think a line like

"We can only play to our strengths, forcing players to play differently will end in disaster."

as used by LoM in this thread is drivel. The suggestion that we're only in the position we're in because we turned away from the playing style we had for most of the past decade and more is rubbish in my opinion.

We had a squad that could only play one way as evidenced by Neil Harris giving up on his attempt to play more football and Steve Morison not even attempting to start his quest for a different playing style until last summer. Morison's rebuilding job left us with a squad which, again, could only play one way, but it was a complete contrast to the only way we could play a few months earlier!

We're better equipped to play a more direct game now, but we're in the trouble we are because we've been crap at sticking the ball in the net - nothing more, nothing less. I understand Lamouchi deciding on a change of approach, but to claim that we're now playing to our strengths and we have a squad which was always best suited to the style our manager wants to play is twaddle.
    Agreed.

It's definitely not the long ball game we had under Warnock or McCarthy either.