+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hopefully one minute silence observed by all .

Re: Hopefully one minute silence observed by all .

Ukraine fell to the Russian Empire under the reign of Catherine the Great in 1793
    The right-bank Ukraine was annexed by Russia in the Second Partition of Poland.

It was Polish–Lithuanian Commonwealth for an age 1569–1795 .

You can see why Poland dislikes Russia as its behaviour in that region is dreadful .

Cossacks ( is “adventurer” or “free man”) are not Russian they were Slavic Orthodox Christian people.

Russia's goal is simply about invading & controling ......

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    Ukraine is literally the descendant of Russia it’s like if America went to war with Canada and Mexico or Sweden with Denmark.I don’t support either side and want the killing to stop , but it’s a very tricky geopolitical situation.
    Is "America" a descendent of Mexico or is Mexico a descendant of "America" in this hypothesis?

Ukraine is literally the descendant of Russia it’s like if America went to war with Canada and Mexico or Sweden with Denmark.I don’t support either side and want the killing to stop , but it’s a very tricky geopolitical situation.
    Think they are descendants of Eastern Slavic and very much driven by religion

Ukraine was the center of the first eastern Slavic state, Kyivan Rus’, which during the 10th and 11th centuries was the largest and most powerful state in Europe. But it was weakened by internal quarrels and Mongol invasions. Various parts of what’s now Ukraine have at times been claimed by Russia, Poland, the Austrian Empire, Hungary, Romania and Czechoslovakia. Present boundaries were set in 1954, with the transfer of Crimea from the Soviet Union to Ukraine. Ukraine finally became independent in 1991. (In 2014, Crimea was illegally annexed by Russia.)

Quote Originally Posted by Tito Fuente View Post
    Is "America" a descendent of Mexico or is Mexico a descendant of "America" in this hypothesis?
    Are we Germans now , if yes we have won the world cup more than once ??

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Ukraine fell to the Russian Empire under the reign of Catherine the Great in 1793

You can see why Poland dislikes Russia as its behaviour in that region is dreadful .

Cossacks ( is “adventurer” or “free man”) are not Russian they were Slavic Orthodox Christian people.

Are Russians not considered to be predominantly Slavic?
    Is Orthodox Christianity not the predominant religion in Russia?

¿Qué?

Think they are descendants of Eastern Slavic and very much driven by religion

Ukraine was the center of the first eastern Slavic state, Kyivan Rus’, which during the 10th and 11th centuries was the largest and most powerful state in Europe. But it was weakened by internal quarrels and Mongol invasions. Various parts of what’s now Ukraine have at times been claimed by Russia, Poland, the Austrian Empire, Hungary, Romania and Czechoslovakia. Present boundaries were set in 1954, with the transfer of Crimea from the Soviet Union to Ukraine. Ukraine finally became independent in 1991. (In 2014, Crimea was illegally annexed by Russia)
    Cut and paste fail.

Wales have never won the world cup, what are you on about?

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    No need. I can see that my post was ambiguous.
    Bad schooling, unlike the fortunate ones

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Cut and paste fail.
    You think I could make that up , you are a silly billy

Bad schooling, unlike the fortunate ones
    Flange, blotting paper, wibble, meh.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Flange, blotting paper, wibble, meh.
    “My schoooool, my schoooool, how gravely she stands…”

What I posted was in reference to post war not centuries upon centuries ago , perhaps I should have been more clear ( I thought it was obvious ) If took your stance in respect of time stamping then half world could be remapped. Thanks for the copy and paste though.

You think I could make that up , you are a silly billy
    As it's a fusion of gobbledook and nonsense, I'm sure you could make it up. And usually do.

The first sentence I put in bold is meaningless. The second is just wrong - Crimea was part of the Soviet Union before 1954, and after! It was transferred from the Russian Soviet Republic to the Ukrainian Soviet Republic.

The transfer of Crimea to Ukraine by the Supreme Soviet Presidium was because it was geographically, economically and culturally more aligned to Ukraine than Russia - after the expulsion of the collaborationist Tatars. That is a pretty strong Soviet era judgement that undermines the case made by Putin's Russia for annexation just 60 years later.

Ukrainian people have more in common with Polish, Croatian, Slovakian people than Russian people do they not ?

Ukrainian and Polish people had a big mining tradition which is why South Wales has such a relatively large Polish and Ukranian community , especially from immigration to the coalfields

Thus it would seem bizarre to say Ukraine is very much like Russia

Polish and Ukranian is very close , my Polish friends can easily understand Ukranian , they can't understand Russian

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Ukrainian people have more in common with Polish, Croatian, Slovakian people than Russian people do they not ?

Ukrainian and Polish people had a big mining tradition which is why South Wales has such a relatively large Polish and Ukranian community , especially from immigration to the coalfields

Polish and Ukranian is very close , my Polish friends can easily understand Ukranian , they can't understand Russian
    Didn’t the Russian miners donate millions of pounds to the South Wales miners strike appeal, despite the intervention of Thatcher ?

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...iet-aid-miners

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post

Although it is true to state that the Polish language is closer to Ukrainian than Russian, in 2001, a sixth of the population in Ukraine were considered to be Russian by ethnicity and Kiev/Kyiv was the centre of Rus culture way before Moscow was of any significance. Central Europe is pockmarked with different peoples and cultures and modern-day red lines on maps are not actual cultural boundaries - and most of the older generation in Ukraine were probably taught Russian at school when Ukraine was under the auspices of the Soviet Union. I'm not aware of any significant influence of the Rus culture in Croatia and Slovakia.

By the way, Belarusian (the language of Belarus a.k.a. White Russia) is closer to Ukranian than both Russian and Polish.

The post moved into the arena of descendants and I naturally thought that was about a persons ancestors. So I posted in my view a sensible look back at the Ukrainians ancestors and how they evolved . .. Apologies if it confused .

US Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen popped over to Kiev today to promise more billions. Biden was there last week. That's two high value targets Vlad the Terrible has missed.

I'd be unsurprised to learn all these characters who pretend to be enemies have regular zoom meet-ups when they piss themselves laughing about this charade.

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post
    US Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen popped over to Kiev today to promise more billions. Biden was there last week. That's two high value targets Vlad the Terrible has missed.

I'd be unsurprised to learn all these characters who pretend to be enemies have regular zoom meet-ups when they piss themselves laughing about this charade.

Reminds me of this tweet

https://twitter.com/leilanidowding/s...G-2zfR4bze56uQ

BBC getting on the case ….. hmmmmmmmm

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-64789737

BBC getting on the case ….. hmmmmmmmm

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-64789737
    May I ask what "BBC getting on the case ….. hmmmmmmmm" means?

Well done for honouring the theme of the thread and taking a vow of silence.

Quote Originally Posted by Tito Fuente View Post
    Well done for honouring the theme of the thread and taking a vow of silence.