Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
. In a house I rent out in Treforest nr the Uni, rents have gone from £300 to £350 a month since September…..a room in a house in heath came available last sept and I had 60 people apply in one day. Nice work Drakeford
In fairness I don't think the current problems are a lot to do with Drakeford or the WG. The issue is a simple case of economics.

As a former landlord I have every sympathy for renters but landlords are also in a predicament due to higher interest rates. The point you raise about properties in Treforest and Heath is easily explained. If a landlord pays an amount for a house in Treforest he would have to pay much more for a house in Heath. Any higher rent in Heath is simply down to the higher amount a landlord has to borrow and thereby his costs in servicing his debt can only be recoverable through higher rent charges. I helped my last renter out by not increasing the rent and was rewarded with a smashed up property which was not recoverable as the tenant had moved back to his former home in South East Asia. That was it for me but I applaud those landlords who have stuck it out as the former profits are no longer achievable.

Life is very difficult at the moment for both house owners and renters. My son's mortgage for example is now close to his income having recently coming off a fixed 1% mortgage and the end of his government help to buy loan and I'm sure his experience is replicated elsewhere.