+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: FT: WALES 1 - 0 LATVIA. Match thread

Re: WALES 1 - 0 LATVIA. Match thread

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    I’m a bit baffled by the comments on here. I thought we played well. Knocked the ball around nicely and looked threatening. Their keeper kept them in it.
    We were missing three important outfield players in Davies, Johnson and Brooks too.
    Very happy with that.
    We lack cohesion and there is still a lot of work to do, but there are some signs of progress and I can't wait to see Johnson, Brooks, Luke Harris, and possibly Savage in the same team with Ampadu.

Re: WALES 1 - 0 LATVIA. Match thread

I’m a bit baffled by the comments on here. I thought we played well. Knocked the ball around nicely and looked threatening. Their keeper kept them in it.
    We were missing three important outfield players in Davies, Johnson and Brooks too.
    Very happy with that.
    Admittedly, I watched the second half only (working).

Had they snatched an equaliser we'd be reflecting on the performance differently I think.

When Page had good players he struggled to help them look their best. Now we are expecting him to develop inexperienced, lower league players ? It doesn't make sense to me based on what I've seen.

Re: FT: WALES 1 - 0 LATVIA. Match thread

Very happy with that.
    Not sure how many times you log in to this site Pearcey but my guess is it's not that frequent.
    "The comments on here" are pretty much like this every game.

The final 10 minutes was squeeky bum time but, apart from maybe ten minutes in the first half, I thought we controlled the game pretty comfortably.
    Two worldy saves by their keeper at crucial times from Wilson and my MoTM Nico kept it close. One of them goes in and it's game set and match.

It's been a good week but for some it's all about one man, the witch hunt for manager Page is well and truly under way.
    We do love a manager witch hunt

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Not sure how many times you log in to this site Pearcey but my guess is it's not that frequent.

The final 10 minutes was squeeky bum time but, apart from maybe ten minutes in the first half, I thought we controlled the game pretty comfortably.
    Two worldy saves by their keeper at crucial times from Wilson and my MoTM Nico kept it close. One of them goes in and it's game set and match.

It's been a good week but for some it's all about one man, the witch hunt for manager Page is well and truly under way.

It did get a bit squeaky at the end and Morrell was a worry but for most of the game the team were very much on the front foot and should have won by more. Neko was terrific. So much energy. I thought Wilson did well too.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    We lack cohesion and there is still a lot of work to do, but there are some signs of progress and I can't wait to see Johnson, Brooks, Luke Harris, and possibly Savage in the same team with Ampadu.
    What about Chem Campbell?😜

It did get a bit squeaky at the end and Morrell was a worry but for most of the game the team were very much on the front foot and should have won by more. Neko was terrific. So much energy. I thought Wilson did well too.
    Wilson always does well against the weaker teams. I think he is a very good Championship player, but he doesn't stand out against better teams.

Wilson was excellent tonight, always looking to make something happen, too many of our other players were far too conservative in attack.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Wilson was excellent tonight, always looking to make something happen, too many of our other players were far too conservative in attack.
    Which makes me wonder why Page selected the same team again!

It wasn’t a great performance but I don’t think it was that bad. Apart from the final 10-15 mins, we didn’t look in danger of conceding and only being 1-0 up at that point wasn’t reflective of our dominant performance over Latvia.

The subs were odd. Waiting until 74 mins to make on sub then a few more in injury time? Very odd. Should’ve switched out a few more when he made the first sub and it wouldn’t have been so nervy.

Oh well. 4 points from 2 games, including our hardest of the lot. I would’ve taken that a week ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    Which makes me wonder why Page selected the same team again!
    I probably would have as well tbh, we don't exactly have that much strength in depth these days.

they must needed to be braver in possession, a number of times a good ball inside the fullback and James would have been away, but they instead played it to his feet.

Can take heart with the points tally and certain aspects and equally worried with 2 performances that could well have gone differently. Overall it’s 4 points. I would have swallowed that whole before weekend.

I couldn't watch that every week.

I just can't get excited about international football.

City and my local club team for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Paget Flashman View Post
    I couldn't watch that every week.

I just can't get excited about international football.

City and my local club team for me.
    Thankfully we've got the scintillating, 1960's Brazil reminiscent, exciting football of Cardiff City to look forward to

It was a pedestrian performance and at times it looked like a training match!
    We lacked the cutting edge in the final third - again - and at times it reminded me of the Steve Morison version of Cardiff City at the beginning of the season, with slick passing, but not much end product.
    The late substitutions were purely to waste time, as Latvia were putting us under pressure.
    If we play like that against a big team, we’re going to be punished.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post

Yeah that's a fair assessment of the game. Certainly nowhere near as bad as some on here would have you believe. If I was to be hyper-critical of the performance I would say that the passing should be more one-touch. Better teams will be able to read our game better and stifle our attacks. I put some of it down to a lack of confidence because we've gone a long while without a win. Regarding Page, I'm not 100% sure of his ability to improve the team but he certainly deserves the chance to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    Need to keep a quicker tempo in the 2nd half. They're struggling when we move it quickly..
    When did we move it quickly? I fell asleep before the first goal woke up this morning to see we won 1 nil. Slow ponderous passing is all I saw.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    When did we move it quickly? I fell asleep before the first goal woke up this morning to see we won 1 nil. Slow ponderous passing is all I saw.
    Once or twice before we scored, the five minutes before the break and for about the first quarter of an hour of the second half.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Once or twice before we scored, the five minutes before the break and for about the first quarter of an hour of the second half.
    I remember the odd good singular pass, but nothing like a built up passage of fast paced play,I fell asleep probably half hour in though.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    I remember the odd good singular pass, but nothing like a built up passage of fast paced play, I fell asleep probably half hour in though.
    After the recent World Cup performances, I view passing the ball to one of our own players as a sign of progress!

Wales’ best international break for years ends with Moore’s goal edging them to Latvia win.

City player scores the goal which sends Wales under 17s to their first ever Euros!

https://mauveandyellowarmy.net/

edging a 1 - 0 win and holding Croatia to a point must be seen as a good set of games, or have Wales fans forgotten that we are not a football powerhouse ? ?

After the Croatia I was criticising the home team for not pushing on and getting a 2nd goal. We took advantage and got an equaliser.
    We could easily have done the same yesterday and allowed Latvia a similar undeserved late point.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    After the Croatia I was criticising the home team for not pushing on and getting a 2nd goal. We took advantage and got an equaliser.
    We could easily have done the same yesterday and allowed Latvia a similar undeserved late point.
    I think they probably deserved a point more than we did against Croatia, Ward made a number of good saves

The performance wasn't perfect and probably raises a few questions. But 4 points from 2 games is a great start. Lots of newish players around the side, so I've no doubt that the performances will be a lot slicker over the next few games. Overall a great start to the group