+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: St Pauli

St Pauli

I know one or two on here take an interest in them

They've won an astonishing 10 in a row, including yesterday against high flying Heidenheim.

Hamburg derby coming up. Both in the top 4. Should be good.

Re: St Pauli

Quote Originally Posted by Swiss Peter View Post

They've won an astonishing 10 in a row, including yesterday against high flying Heidenheim.

It doesn’t seem so long ago that I looked at the table and they were in relegation trouble, love to see them beat Hamburg again.

Yes been following every game with increased amazement. A few weeks ago I was thinking about how it's been a good run to safety but no way could they challenge for promotion. All of a sudden they are in touching distance, especially with the derby coming up.

I also follow Fiorentina who have had a similar Jekyll and Hyde season. Terrible before Christmas but won a load of consecutive league games recently, along with 7 in a row in Europe and looking like they'll be in the Coppa Italia final.

If only my main football love had some similar late season inspiration...

That is impressive! I also follow German football quite closely and tbh the second and third divisions are more interesting now that Bayern dominate the bundesliga (likely to win their 11th title in a row)

I hadn't picked up on St Pauli's recent form but did note they were near the bottom earlier in the season. Last season they were top for ages and fell off. The season before that they were near bottom for much of the season. Real rollercoaster.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
    Yes been following every game with increased amazement. A few weeks ago I was thinking about how it's been a good run to safety but no way could they challenge for promotion. All of a sudden they are in touching distance, especially with the derby coming up.

I also follow Fiorentina who have had a similar Jekyll and Hyde season. Terrible before Christmas but won a load of consecutive league games recently, along with 7 in a row in Europe and looking like they'll be in the Coppa Italia final.

I managed to get a ticket in with the St Pauli fans for the derby. Not quite sure what to expect . Next day, I'm off to watch the team I really back in German football - Hertha. Now - in contrast to St. Pauli - that really is a shitshow. They could be swapping places?

Agreed though, if only we could have had some of this at City!

Relegation was looking a real possibility until this run.

Remarkable that the promotion play off place is so close.
    Great run.

I managed to get a ticket in with the St Pauli fans for the derby. Not quite sure what to expect . Next day, I'm off to watch the team I really back in German football - Hertha. Now - in contrast to St. Pauli - that really is a shitshow. They could be swapping places?

How hard was it to get tickets? I remember looking a few years back and they seemed like gold dust. That was when the stadium was only 22k or something like that. I see it’s now 30k capacity.

Quote Originally Posted by Canton Kev View Post
    How hard was it to get tickets? I remember looking a few years back and they seemed like gold dust. That was when the stadium was only 22k or something like that. I see it’s now 30k capacity.
    It's not that easy. Yeah, I think you're right - Stadium is around 30k now. As I was based in Hamburg I took membership, but even then you take your chances with tickets!

I recall getting some great advice from you Peter, unfortunately personal circumstances plus lockdown messed up my trip. Their support seems incredibly loyal but I think that a cult following from overseas makes their tickets particularly hard to come by.

Hope you have a memorable experience there. I'll be watching 🏴*☠️

Livorno! St Pauli and Fiorentina, give your head a wobble lol

The people's republic of Vallecas against the aristocrats and royalists of Athletico tonight. Hopefully some fireworks.

Quote Originally Posted by OurManFlint II View Post
    Livorno! St Pauli and Fiorentina, give your head a wobble lol

The people's republic of Vallecas against the aristocrats and royalists of Athletico tonight. Hopefully some fireworks.
    Vamos Rayo Ole Rayo.

Another bunch of renegades punching above their weight. I'm all for it.

Recently read a book about Cosenza ultras setting up food banks, giving free tickets to refugees and community schemes for young people against gang culture.

Dig a little bit and there's plenty of good people out there in the football world.

Vamos Rayo Ole Rayo.

Another bunch of renegades punching above their weight. I'm all for it.

Recently read a book about Cosenza ultras setting up food banks, giving free tickets to refugees and community schemes for young people against gang culture.

Dig a little bit and there's plenty of good people out there in the football world.
    cool, name of the book?

It's shame that England and i suppose the UK (Celtic might be 1) that you don't really have these types of clubs that you get across the rest of the world. Is there a true left wing club in the English system, Liverpool maybe, Dulwich Hamlets recent reinvention?

Bohemians in Dublin is a special club.

cool, name of the book?

It's shame that England and i suppose the UK (Celtic might be 1) that you don't really have these types of clubs that you get across the rest of the world. Is there a true left wing club in the English system, Liverpool maybe, Dulwich Hamlets recent reinvention?

It's called Ultra by Tobias Jones. He's a Parma fan who now spends most of his time running countryside projects for 'wayward' urban kids.

Here's an interview from a few years ago

https://www.theguardian.com/books/20...a-tobias-jones

So these ultras who it's thought were right wing skull crushers especially at lazio are in some cases far from it ?

cool, name of the book?

Dulwich Hamlets have become a very left-leaning support base, who seem to be inspired by St Pauli etc, and has now become rather self perpetuating.

Liverpool and Celtic may dine out on some things that some people could consider left-wing but I wouldn't write home about it. Both clubs massively exploit their fan bases and Celtics shtick has always been Irish republicanism, which is fawned upon by some leftist people but is independent of any real ideology of that sort. Liverpool do offer some £9 tickets to home fans but generally there is nothing really left-wing about either of them. They are big stinking greedy rip-off merchants.

My understanding has always been; St Pauli, Real Vallecano, Livorno (who wave USSR flags 😬) and Hapoel Tel Aviv as being famously left-wing fan bases. I believe the upwardly mobile Union Gilloise in Belgium are too, but often this is just twitter talk, a bit like how Swansea are best buds with Den Haag but 95% of Swans fans couldn't point to it on a map

I'm not sure of any genuinely left-wing football clubs though, and what would it even mean? I have far more respect for Brentford in changing their shirts every two seasons or the ticket prices charged by any German club over the hypocritical iconography used by the likes of Liverpool and Celtic

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    So these ultras who it's thought were right wing skull crushers especially at lazio are in some cases far from it ?
    Very much so. Hooligan groups and Ultras are often lumped together and there are blurred lines, but lots of ultra groups are simply loyal and ardent fans. The rise of the far right across Europe has definitely seen a shift in the politics within formerly apolitical ultra groups. However plenty of clubs both small and large have ultra groups who range from liberal/left, to anarchist, to just taking a stand against racism and the extreme right. Marseille, AEK Athens, Sporting Lisbon, Werder Bremen and Standard Liege are probably the most notable of the bigger clubs off the top of my head.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    Dulwich Hamlets have become a very left-leaning support base, who seem to be inspired by St Pauli etc, and has now become rather self perpetuating.

Liverpool and Celtic may dine out on some things that some people could consider left-wing but I wouldn't write home about it. Both clubs massively exploit their fan bases and Celtics shtick has always been Irish republicanism, which is fawned upon by some leftist people but is independent of any real ideology of that sort. Liverpool do offer some £9 tickets to home fans but generally there is nothing really left-wing about either of them. They are big stinking greedy rip-off merchants.

My understanding has always been; St Pauli, Real Vallecano, Livorno (who wave USSR flags 😬) and Hapoel Tel Aviv as being famously left-wing fan bases. I believe the upwardly mobile Union Gilloise in Belgium are too, but often this is just twitter talk, a bit like how Swansea are best buds with Den Haag but 95% of Swans fans couldn't point to it on a map

I'm not sure of any genuinely left-wing football clubs though, and what would it even mean? I have far more respect for Brentford in changing their shirts every two seasons or the ticket prices charged by any German club over the hypocritical iconography used by the likes of Liverpool and Celtic
    Agree

Very much so. Hooligan groups and Ultras are often lumped together and there are blurred lines, but lots of ultra groups are simply loyal and ardent fans. The rise of the far right across Europe has definitely seen a shift in the politics within formerly apolitical ultra groups. However plenty of clubs both small and large have ultra groups who range from liberal/left, to anarchist, to just taking a stand against racism and the extreme right. Marseille, AEK Athens, Sporting Lisbon, Werder Bremen and Standard Liege are probably the most notable of the bigger clubs off the top of my head.
    Marseille has got to have one of the most cosmopolitan fan groups in world football

I think it's an amazing city

Are these all working class , dockside , blue collar football clubs ?

Are these all working class , dockside , blue collar football clubs ?
    I know Liege is an industrial city. As for class I think that so called traditional working class towns and cities are just as much if not more likely to attract the far right elements these days.

It's called Ultra by Tobias Jones. He's a Parma fan who now spends most of his time running countryside projects for 'wayward' urban kids.

Here's an interview from a few years ago

https://www.theguardian.com/books/20...a-tobias-jones
    Must look out for that.

Guess you would have read Another Football is Possible by Vinas and Parra? It's a bit heavy going at times, but well researched and quite interesting in terms of the history generally of that part of Hamburg.

I recall getting some great advice from you Peter, unfortunately personal circumstances plus lockdown messed up my trip. Their support seems incredibly loyal but I think that a cult following from overseas makes their tickets particularly hard to come by.

Hope you have a memorable experience there. I'll be watching 🏴*☠️
    I think you're right. In the Haupttribune which is the only part of the ground that I have managed to get tickets for I get the sense that there are quite a lot of football tourists like me around.

I should have said in my reply to Kev that whilst all matches seem to be sold out, I've seen quite a few empty seats dotted around, and I've bought tickets for 'sold out' matches which show up as sold out online by simply turning up at the ticket office. Returns, I guess.

I know Liege is an industrial city. As for class I think that so called traditional working class towns and cities are just as much if not more likely to attract the far right elements these days.
    Barnsley

Swansea

Barnsley

Swansea
    Luton

Look up and contact Fanladen at St Pauli if you are interested in a game.