+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Lessons Have Been Learned !

Lessons Have Been Learned !

They normally say that after a dodgy doctor gets sent to prison or a plane crash but this is Cardiff City !

What can we learn from this shocker of a season .....and the ones before ?

It must never happen again ! .....

Re: Lessons Have Been Learned !

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    They normally say that after a dodgy doctor gets sent to prison or a plane crash but this is Cardiff City !

If history is anything to go by, probably not a lot.

In 1965/66 and 1966/67, we narrrowly avoided relegation to the third tier but managed to grow again, missing out on promotion in 1970/71.

We then had 3 relegation battles, before finally succombing to relegation to the 3rd division in 1974/75.

Despite promotion at the first attempt, we would have 6 seasons of more struggle (bar a 9th placed finish in 1978/79) before being relegated again. We again won promotion at the first attempt but struggled for a season in the 2nd division before being relegated yet again.

The only lesson they are likely to take is you can halve the wage bill and achieve more or less the same results and outcome.

So I'd expect more of the same next season.

Quote Originally Posted by Father Dougal View Post
    The only lesson they are likely to take is you can halve the wage bill and achieve more or less the same results and outcome.

That is what I am expecting.

If the height of ambition is keeping every game 0-0 then I fear the worse.

Don't let Warnock spend any of your money. I'm pretty sure Tan learned that lesson.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Don't let Warnock spend any of your money. I'm pretty sure Tan learned that lesson.
    He's gone now and has been for some time

It's time to move on sonny

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    If history is anything to go by, probably not a lot.

In 1965/66 and 1966/67, we narrrowly avoided relegation to the third tier but managed to grow again, missing out on promotion in 1970/71.

We then had 3 relegation battles, before finally succombing to relegation to the 3rd division in 1974/75.

Despite promotion at the first attempt, we would have 6 seasons of more struggle (bar a 9th placed finish in 1978/79) before being relegated again. We again won promotion at the first attempt but struggled for a season in the 2nd division before being relegated yet again.
    We are a powerhouse

He's gone now and has been for some time

It's time to move on sonny
    Lessons are usually learned after the fact. This is your thread. Why should I move on after an obvious mistake was made that still affects our team? If you want to move on, don't start these threads.

Lessons are usually learned after the fact. This is your thread. Why should I move on after an obvious mistake was made that still affects our team? If you want to move on, don't start these threads.

Correct, Warnock’s dodgy transfer deals have stopped us moving on, the present is a direct result of his actions.

I beg to differ, if, as we must expect now, we end up in twenty first position with forty nine points, that's a decline of four points and three places from 21/22 - a repeat of that rate of decline in 23/24 will see us relegated. When you look at what was set as the target for this season - a top six challenge with a reported budget that was among the lowest quarter in the division, the expectations from the top of the club were wholly unrealistic. There are clubs that have good seasons on a small budget in this league, but they are never as poorly run as we've been in the last decade.

The fact that we've got the added disadvantage of a partial transfer embargo only adds to the challenge facing the club in the coming weeks. it's not an insurmountable challenge, but it will be if Tan thinks that "the plan" of the last two seasons especially is going to work. The hope is that there are a few signs that City's scouting and recruitment is improving, but we're heading for relegation soon at the moment and seeing as we've left ourselves with very little wriggle room for next season, the simple truth is that we've virtually reached a position where we have to improve to stay up.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I beg to differ, if, as we must expect now, we end up in twenty first position with forty nine points, that's a decline of four points and three places from 21/22 - a repeat of that rate of decline in 23/24 will see us relegated. When you look at what was set as the target for this season - a top six challenge with a reported budget that was among the lowest quarter in the division, the expectations from the top of the club were wholly unrealistic. There are clubs that have good seasons on a small budget in this league, but they are never as poorly run as we've been in the last decade.

The fact that we've got the added disadvantage of a partial transfer embargo only adds to the challenge facing the club in the coming weeks. it's not an insurmountable challenge, but it will be if Tan thinks that "the plan" of the last two seasons especially is going to work. The hope is that there are a few signs that City's scouting and recruitment is improving, but we're heading for relegation soon at the moment and seeing as we've left ourselves with very little wriggle room for next season, the simple truth is that we've virtually reached a position where we have to improve to stay up.
    Sorry I wasn't saying the wage bill will be cut in half again. I was saying maybe the club will feel they've actually had a good result this season. Wage bill cut but same result so if wage bill roughly the same next season we can hope to survive just- while we 'stabilise' so tan can then sell? Surely that's the plan?

Sorry I wasn't saying the wage bill will be cut in half again. I was saying maybe the club will feel they've actually had a good result this season. Wage bill cut but same result so if wage bill roughly the same next season we can hope to survive just- while we 'stabilise' so tan can then sell? Surely that's the plan?
    If we don't increase what we're paying in wages, I think there's a real danger of us sailing too close to the wind and toppling into League One. In saying that, we're not going to be paying transfer and loan fees in the next year, so you'd like to think that an increase in wages paid would not involve too big an increase in overall spending when you consider that we paid £2 million in transfer fees and who knows what on loan fees last year. I just think a playing budget which is among the worst six in the division (Ipswich and Sheffield Wednesday, if they come up, will have a bigger budget than us surely) is asking for trouble - the lesson learned should be that we need an increase in wages spending, but I'm not talking about a huge leap just enough to get us into, say, the bottom ten lowest payers in the Championship.

To think that the season after next we could have an All Wales derby not involving the jacks

International

Get the basics right, don't start next season with one left back, who got injured straight away and only two poor Strikers, and two league one keepers. If we'd had some strikers from the start, a keeper, and a decent left-back fighting for first-choice we would have comfortably finished mid-table. Probably a right back as well we didn't really have any cover there either.

Come on now, you are forgetting " we are his type of people " , no-one can stay mad at him when he makes that type of revelation

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Correct, Warnock’s dodgy transfer deals have stopped us moving on, the present is a direct result of his actions.
    Blimey

Yes, he only left three and a half years and 6 managers ago.

Is he responsible for COVID-19 and the war in Ukraine as well?

You are living in the past sonny

Buffalo Bill is dead

We have always gone cheap with managers, doubt that will change.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    Blimey

Yes, he only left three and a half years and 6 managers ago.

Is he responsible for COVID-19 and the war in Ukraine as well?
    So you don’t think that us squaring up the contracts of some of the dross he brought in on longish contracts has anything to do with our present financial state? His involvement in the Sala affair, dealing with a disqualified agent, is another ongoing reason for our predicament. He’s a major player in the City’s present woes.

So you don’t think that us squaring up the contracts of some of the dross he brought in on longish contracts has anything to do with our present financial state? His involvement in the Sala affair, dealing with a disqualified agent, is another ongoing reason for our predicament. He’s a major player in the City’s present woes.
    Ok I’ll say it again for the dullards who struggle to keep up:

Warnock has shown time and again that isn’t very good when given money to spend. We all agree on that. He has also shown time and again that in certain circumstances he is a very effective manager although for whatever reason not everyone wants to agree on that despite the facts (I don’t care either way but it is hard to argue with the facts)

Now lots of people one want to see one side of the argument or the other and those who only want to see the bad part are still blaming him for world poverty and malaria. Just embarrassing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    Ok I’ll say it again for the dullards who struggle to keep up:

Warnock has shown time and again that isn’t very good when given money to spend. We all agree on that. He has also shown time and again that in certain circumstances he is a very effective manager although for whatever reason not everyone wants to agree on that despite the facts (I don’t care either way but it is hard to argue with the facts)

Now lots of people one want to see one side of the argument or the other and those who only want to see the bad part are still blaming him for world poverty and malaria. Just embarrassing.
    What’s all the shite about world poverty & malaria that’s nothing to do with Warnock or Cardiff City, daft comparison. Are you comfortable with our club using a disqualified, disgraced agent’s sons as a pair of Trojan horses enabling him to underhandedly deal with the City on the pretence, ‘Oh, I’m visiting the club to check on my lads’.

Yes, he was very effective for us initially, he gave us a brilliant season but it quickly went sour culminating in him rinsing us and it’s affected the club since. How many times has this got to be said to get through to the dullards who struggle to keep up?

You are living in the past sonny

Buffalo Bill is dead
    I'm living in the now. And I can see that what happened in the past is having a negative effect on the club now.

You live in cloud cuckoo land.

What’s all the shite about world poverty & malaria that’s nothing to do with Warnock or Cardiff City, daft comparison. Are you comfortable with our club using a disqualified, disgraced agent’s sons as a pair of Trojan horses enabling him to underhandedly deal with the City on the pretence, ‘Oh, I’m visiting the club to check on my lads’.

Yes, he was very effective for us initially, he gave us a brilliant season but it quickly went sour culminating in him rinsing us and it’s affected the club since. How many times has this got to be said to get through to the dullards who struggle to keep up?
    TRY to keep up at the back.