Quote Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
I wasn't saying that it's physically not possible, I really wouldn't have the technical knowledge to know what that takes. I've read articles over several years where he has always ruled it out because of his physical attributes.
Here's one where his coach gives his brief explanation -
https://cyclinguptodate.com/cycling/...-possibilities
That's interesting, thanks. I'm winging it a bit in this thread anyway (just in case you hadn't noticed), there'd be no point in me trying to counter a scientific argument like that.

I'm sure you see my general point though. For all his incredible performances over the years it seems like he's still not fulfilling his potential somehow. Van der Poel the same. I used to look at the pair of them and Pidcock and admire the fact that they were free spirits doing their own thing with the cyclo-cross or mountain biking, ignoring convention and doing what they wanted. Now the first two are 28 it feels like they may have missed the boat somehow.

That's probably just ignorance on my part though. Being a jack-of-all-trades means a lot more in cycling than other sports and what the two of them are doing for their teams here is incredible. Still nice to see Pidcock knuckling down and looking to test himself at GC level though, even if he's not grabbing the headlines for it.