Quote Originally Posted by Der Kaiser View Post
Anybody justifying Italy's risk free place in a closed format 6 Nations after that needs to give their head a wobble. 20 years in the 6 Nations to serve up that. Relegation for that competition needed immediately.
2 years ago I was all for Italy just being dumped and replaced with Georgia, they'd made virtually no progress in 20 years, compared to the giant strides made by the likes of Japan and Argentina when exposed to regular top level tournaments. Do feel a bit sorry for Italy being judged solely on last night, as I don't think that's symbolic of the team they've been over the last 2 seasons.

But definitely agree, from a positive point of view that Georgia and Portugal have shown they deserve a shot. They'd do well to be worse after 20 years in the 6 nation's than Italy are.

Either 2 leagues with promotion and relegation. Or an extended tournament (could still have top 6 playing each other at traditional Feb/march times to finish tournament, but maybe have Romania, Georgia, Portugal, Spain games over the summer period that all count towards the tournament).

As or more importantly surely a time for world rugby to stump up the funds for a Georgian and maybe a joint Portuguese/Spanish club side to play in the URC .

I do worry that the chances of 6 nation's changes ended with the private equity investment though. I think TV audience/commercial revenue is going to be a lot more important to them than growing the game. Personally I'd love trips to Tbilisi and Lisbon, but I think the money men prefer Rome