+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Leyton Orient fans - fair play to them.

Leyton Orient fans - fair play to them.

Even thought their side were 1-0 up inside the last ten minutes, they tried, successfully, to get last night's match abandoned.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66920527

Also in League One, Imagine being a Cheltenham Town fan - one point after eleven games ant a single goal scored!

Re: Leyton Orient fans - fair play to them.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Even thought their side were 1-0 up inside the last ten minutes, they tried, successfully, to get last night's match abandoned.

Also in League One, Imagine being a Cheltenham Town fan - one point after eleven games ant a single goal scored!
    Sorry, that should have read not a single goal scored.

I hadn't realised that about Cheltenham Town.

Just looked and four of their games they have only lost 1-0 so clearly competing.

Has it ever happened before for someone to go so long at the start without even scoring? Doubt it.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post

Just looked and four of their games they have only lost 1-0 so clearly competing.

Has it ever happened before for someone to go so long at the start without even scoring? Doubt it.
    They equalled a Football League record last night.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66920545

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post

I think they broke the record with their result last night

Best mate is a huge orient fan and was there, let’s just say he didn’t have very nice things to say about the ref. Unbelievable in this day and age that he played on for 3 minutes and it took fans physically on the pitch to stop the game… if timely medical care had been delayed as a result the ref would have serious questions to answer.

Hopefully the guy is OK, didn’t sound particularly encouraging though.

Passed away sadly - 74 and a lifelong supporter of the club. Hopefully the extra minutes it took to get him additional attention didn’t play into it in any way.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Bluebird View Post
    Best mate is a huge orient fan and was there, let’s just say he didn’t have very nice things to say about the ref. Unbelievable in this day and age that he played on for 3 minutes and it took fans physically on the pitch to stop the game… if timely medical care had been delayed as a result the ref would have serious questions to answer.

Hopefully the guy is OK, didn’t sound particularly encouraging though.
    Apart from my playing days I've watched football for over 60 years. It's only recently - seems a couple of seasons at most - that I've become aware of play being stopped while a spectator is being treated for an apparent medical emergency. Is this just a case of 'doing the decent thing', or something more pragmatic, such as there not being any emergency cover for something that might happen on the playing field ? Awful news, of course but I don't think this happened until a couple of seasons ago..

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    Apart from my playing days I've watched football for over 60 years. It's only recently - seems a couple of seasons at most - that I've become aware of play being stopped while a spectator is being treated for an apparent medical emergency. Is this just a case of 'doing the decent thing', or something more pragmatic, such as there not being any emergency cover for something that might happen on the playing field ? Awful news, of course but I don't think this happened until a couple of seasons ago..
    I think you’re right, didn’t someone die at the Leicester Play Off Semi Final thirteen years ago?

Another Leyton Orient video

https://x.com/msorient/status/170944...LhmySD2aRt-GNg

So sad. RIP.

A guy had a heart attack next to me in the Bob Bank. This would have been around 95. Thankfully the stewards acted quickly when alerted and the medical team came to his aid. He was taken away but the game didn't stop.

I heard from his son that he was ok after a few days in hospital

This seems far more sensible to me. Mind you, if it was me having the heart attack, I might think differently.

I think you’re right, didn’t someone die at the Leicester Play Off Semi Final thirteen years ago?
    I've no idea, but it felt pretty close to heaven that evening..

It’s a fair question. I’m guessing but I think it’s to allow the medical staff at the club to intervene presuming they are probably the most qualified to provide this kind of care and will have all the needed equipment to hand, plus ease of getting out of there if needed… it’s probably a lot easier to get a fan who needs urgent hospitalization off the pitch down the tunnel than it is back up through the stands (or if needed you could even get an air ambulance on the pitch)

It is definitely a recent development though, you are right.

Funnily enough was just sent this which seems to explain it quite well https://leytonlaureate.wordpress.com...-lincoln-city/

I've no idea, but it felt pretty close to heaven that evening..
    https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/w...y-game-1918017

I remember snapping at someone who lived close to me for some reason on the day of that Leicester match. He didn’t know me too well, but he knew I was a City fan and just smiled saying”bit tense about tonight’s game then?”. I was so grateful he hadn’t reacted to my completely unjustified comment and could only apologise and thank him, but that exchange didn’t calm me down. I was so wound up about the game and that’s not like me - I was a lot calmer for the Final.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Bluebird View Post
    Funnily enough was just sent this which seems to explain it quite well https://leytonlaureate.wordpress.com...-lincoln-city/
    The reference to the size of the crowd is quite relevant.