+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Steve Coogan As Jimmy Saville

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Steve Coogan As Jimmy Saville

The BBC making programmes for entertainment / profit that show them in a really bad light historically. Some mental gymnatics going on there even by that loon LoMs standards.

Hes just got the hump that they also showed Thatcher for what she was.

International

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    The BBC making programmes for entertainment / profit that show them in a really bad light historically. Some mental gymnatics going on there even by that loon LoMs standards.

Hes just got the hump that they also showed Thatcher for what she was.
    Jesus even a Saville thread and the Lefties try and score a point, OK Wales is a mess and is fiddling the NHS A&E waiting times, and instead of improving waste the money on a daft slower speed than England but Thatcher met Saville twice, how pathetic can people get, they've both been dead for years.

If anyone has actually watched it he fooled everyone that's the story!

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    Jesus even a Saville thread and the Lefties try and score a point, OK Wales is a mess and is fiddling the NHS A&E waiting times, and instead of improving waste the money on a daft slower speed than England but Thatcher met Saville twice, how pathetic can people get, they've both been dead for years.

If anyone has actually watched it he fooled everyone that's the story!
    Lay off the Mandy, Feedy. He didn’t have everyone fooled at all but thanks to his friends in high places at Beeb, the government and the Royal family he managed to get away with it. He was enabled by the likes of Thatcher. A blind eye was turned because of all his charity work.

I thought it was done well. Coogan was exceptional but I am not sure it tells us anything new. He was clever in making friends with people who could protect him through their powerful positions, many of course without realising what savile was doing or how he was using them.

Thatcher tried to get him knighted loads of times, she was a strong savile advocate, as were the royal family. Savile was called in by the queen to provide marriage counselling when Charles and Diana had marriage problems. Diana rebuked it and called Savile creepy. The bbc didn't include that. I can't imagine a worse counsellor.

From a child protection perspective, I thought they did a very sensitive job of revealing the abuse in scenes. Often those kinds of scenes can in themselves be exploitative. Apparently the survivors of saviles abuse were fully involved in the making of the program and provided with counselling and support.

As for the BBC doing it.. I think they had to.. Otherwise someone else would have done it and would have been much harsher on the bbc. But everyone needs to take collective responsibility.

Sadly many powerful people who abuse children are still in situ. The ex-officer who finally exposed savile claims he's been trying to get the CPS to prosecute a household name for year, but the powerful continue to block it.

It seems we've learned nothing.

I'm halfway through the long shadow. It's a tough watch. The police.. Wow. What utter wankers.

Quote Originally Posted by AfricanBluebird View Post
    I thought it was done well. Coogan was exceptional but I am not sure it tells us anything new. He was clever in making friends with people who could protect him through their powerful positions, many of course without realising what savile was doing or how he was using them.

Thatcher tried to get him knighted loads of times, she was a strong savile advocate, as were the royal family. Savile was called in by the queen to provide marriage counselling when Charles and Diana had marriage problems. Diana rebuked it and called Savile creepy. The bbc didn't include that. I can't imagine a worse counsellor.

From a child protection perspective, I thought they did a very sensitive job of revealing the abuse in scenes. Often those kinds of scenes can in themselves be exploitative. Apparently the survivors of saviles abuse were fully involved in the making of the program and provided with counselling and support.

As for the BBC doing it.. I think they had to.. Otherwise someone else would have done it and would have been much harsher on the bbc. But everyone needs to take collective responsibility.

Sadly many powerful people who abuse children are still in situ. The ex-officer who finally exposed savile claims he's been trying to get the CPS to prosecute a household name for year, but the powerful continue to block it.

It seems we've learned nothing.

I'm halfway through the long shadow. It's a tough watch. The police.. Wow. What utter wankers.
    Good point about the stick the BBC would have got if the programme had been aired by another channel.

However as someone who tends to back the BBC against their modern day culture war critics, it's hard to come up with a defence for them when it came to how Savile's awful behaviour was tolerated by people who must have had suspicions, at the very least, about him.