+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wales under 21s

Re: Wales under 21s

What a goal!

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Think Colwill might have got a rocket off Matthew Jones at half time, he was much more involved in the second half. Thomas has appeared in nine league games for Port Vale this season and I’m not surprised to see he hasn’t scored - did find the net in the League Cup though.

Luke Harris hasn’t done that much either.
    He was dropped further back to get on the ball more by the look of it. Much better second half and a cracking finish by Ashford!

Owen Beck

Great finish 😄

We could do with extending his contract beyond next summer.

How's Ashford been doing for the under-21s this season? I saw him play twice for the Academy in the 21-22 season and said similar things both times on here. Bags of talent but a weird, almost disinterested, body language about him that I couldn't make sense of. He spent so much time walking around in the first game I thought he'd taken a knock, in the second one he suddenly came alive with about 20 minutes to go and nearly ended up winning us the game from 1-0 down having been a virtual passenger before then.

Leeds had apparently tried to take him off us and plenty of posters on here were saying what a talent he was. The hype has died down a bit (till tonight, at least) but he seems to be making progress at club and international level so he must be doing plenty right. Has anyone noticed a change in him over the past couple of seasons or did I just catch him a bit out of sorts the times I saw him?

Quote Originally Posted by Loramski View Post
    How's Ashford been doing for the under-21s this season? I saw him play twice for the Academy in the 21-22 season and said similar things both times on here. Bags of talent but a weird, almost disinterested, body language about him that I couldn't make sense of. He spent so much time walking around in the first game I thought he'd taken a knock, in the second one he suddenly came alive with about 20 minutes to go and nearly ended up winning us the game from 1-0 down having been a virtual passenger before then.

Leeds had apparently tried to take him off us and plenty of posters on here were saying what a talent he was. The hype has died down a bit (till tonight, at least) but he seems to be making progress at club and international level so he must be doing plenty right. Has anyone noticed a change in him over the past couple of seasons or did I just catch him a bit out of sorts the times I saw him?
    With him being se3lcted in the first team squad for League Cup matches and him getting Wales call ups, I don't think he's played too many games for the under 21s this season. There was a game played at Cardiff City Stadium (Barnsley?) in which he scored and played well, but he's also been in teams that were beaten heavily as well (think he played in the 6-2 loss at Sheffield United).

Thos was always going to be a big season for Ashford after 22/23 turned into something similar to Rubin Colwill's season - he was out injured for months and was only really seen for a while at the beginning and end of the campaign (he also spent a long time out in 20/21 I believe). . He scored a lot of goals early on in the Cup the under 21s got beat by the Jacks on penalties in recently and with him doing pretty well in his first team appearances, I think he's definitely kicked on this season and I'd hope he is one of the next players in the queue for a new contract offer.

Yesterday's goal was one where it was pretty clear what he had to and most players would have tried the volley I'd say, but to catch it so cleanly when you knew it was the last chance your team had of equalising indicates a special ability and is also a compliment his temperament because there were one or two similar chances to Welsh players before Ashford's hail Mary effort that were way off target because of the player snatching at the opportunity.

Hopefully, Ashford may get some Championship experience later in the season if we are not involved in the promotion or relegation shake up in the last weeks of the season.

On rhe subject of our more promising youngsters, what's happened to Caleb Hughes this season? I'm not aware of him having played a game for us yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Wash DC Blue View Post
    Cain Ashford with a worldie to equalize close to last kick of the game!!
    If the Czech’s hadn’t brought that sub on in injury time, the game would have been over

Quote Originally Posted by Loramski View Post

He's a big talent, but I'm not sure what his best position is going to be. Callum Robinson would be the best comparison of the senior squad

With him being se3lcted in the first team squad for League Cup matches and him getting Wales call ups, I don't think he's played too many games for the under 21s this season. There was a game played at Cardiff City Stadium (Barnsley?) in which he scored and played well, but he's also been in teams that were beaten heavily as well (think he played in the 6-2 loss at Sheffield United).

Thos was always going to be a big season for Ashford after 22/23 turned into something similar to Rubin Colwill's season - he was out injured for months and was only really seen for a while at the beginning and end of the campaign (he also spent a long time out in 20/21 I believe). . He scored a lot of goals early on in the Cup the under 21s got beat by the Jacks on penalties in recently and with him doing pretty well in his first team appearances, I think he's definitely kicked on this season and I'd hope he is one of the next players in the queue for a new contract offer.

Yesterday's goal was one where it was pretty clear what he had to and most players would have tried the volley I'd say, but to catch it so cleanly when you knew it was the last chance your team had of equalising indicates a special ability and is also a compliment his temperament because there were one or two similar chances to Welsh players before Ashford's hail Mary effort that were way off target because of the player snatching at the opportunity.

Hopefully, Ashford may get some Championship experience later in the season if we are not involved in the promotion or relegation shake up in the last weeks of the season.

On rhe subject of our more promising youngsters, what's happened to Caleb Hughes this season? I'm not aware of him having played a game for us yet.
    I presume he's injured again. He's one of the most talented players in the U21 squad but has a lot of injuries over the last2-3 seasons. Like Ashford and Colwill Snr his best position is yet to be established. All three appear to be no 10's but could be footballing inside-lefts (not a direct inside-left like Grant)

I like your point about Ashford getting game time later in the season when mid-table security has been secured. It will be interesting to see at that stage if Bulut is prepared to give the younger pro's a chance.

u19s now playing against England, with a few Cardiff players involved

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    u19s now playing against England, with a few Cardiff players involved
    U19s winning 1-0

Will Lloyd

Quote Originally Posted by Former Labour leader View Post
    U19s winning 1-0

Will Lloyd
    Ended 1-1

Quote Originally Posted by AdrianAlston View Post
    Ended 1-1
    Three City players in the starting eleven with four more on the bench.

https://dragonsoccer.co.uk/newsite/u19.php?id=615

Just seen the table for the group Wales under 19s are in. While Wales were drawing 0-0 with Austria in their first game, England and Montenegro played out another 0-0 draw and the other game yesterday saw Austria win 1-0. So, Montenegro are bottom of the group before facing us on Tuesday, but they could still win it if they get a big win over us and England beat Austria I presume - it's an incredibly tight group with goals at a premium.

Just seen the table for the group Wales under 19s are in. While Wales were drawing 0-0 with Austria in their first game, England and Montenegro played out another 0-0 draw and the other game yesterday saw Austria win 1-0. So, Montenegro are bottom of the group before facing us on Tuesday, but they could still win it if they get a big win over us and England beat Austria I presume - it's an incredibly tight group with goals at a premium.
    Very tough group for Wales with Austria & England ranked top of their respective pots. Top 2 go through to the Elite Round so a win for Wales on Tuesday will see them through, hopefully they manage it

Big.day for a Wales under 19 squad with seven City players in it today as they chase possible qualification to the Elite round of the Euros qualification process. Not aware of the game being streamed unfortunately.

Not going well, Wales 2-0 down late in the first half.

Not going well, Wales 2-0 down late in the first half.
    3-0 now