I thought it was done well. Coogan was exceptional but I am not sure it tells us anything new. He was clever in making friends with people who could protect him through their powerful positions, many of course without realising what savile was doing or how he was using them.

Thatcher tried to get him knighted loads of times, she was a strong savile advocate, as were the royal family. Savile was called in by the queen to provide marriage counselling when Charles and Diana had marriage problems. Diana rebuked it and called Savile creepy. The bbc didn't include that. I can't imagine a worse counsellor.

From a child protection perspective, I thought they did a very sensitive job of revealing the abuse in scenes. Often those kinds of scenes can in themselves be exploitative. Apparently the survivors of saviles abuse were fully involved in the making of the program and provided with counselling and support.

As for the BBC doing it.. I think they had to.. Otherwise someone else would have done it and would have been much harsher on the bbc. But everyone needs to take collective responsibility.

Sadly many powerful people who abuse children are still in situ. The ex-officer who finally exposed savile claims he's been trying to get the CPS to prosecute a household name for year, but the powerful continue to block it.

It seems we've learned nothing.

I'm halfway through the long shadow. It's a tough watch. The police.. Wow. What utter wankers.