Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Louis Rees-Zammit quits rugby for NFL with immediate effect

Re: Louis Rees-Zammit quits rugby for NFL with immediate effect

Quote Originally Posted by dandywarhol View Post
    He's joining a Lynyrd Skynyrd Tribute Band
    Sweet Home Gabalfa

Quote Originally Posted by light up the darkness View Post
    IMO it’s all about marketing and selling the idea of the NFL to wider audiences. Similar to the New York Jets receiving the rights to Ireland as part of the NFLs Global Markets Program

The Chiefs can carry an IPP player because they’re not on the 53 player roster. LRZ may make an appearance in a special play but it would be a huge development to see him named in a match day squad/team
    can't see him getting any serious game time, as others have said he's a marketing tool now.
    he's an impressive athlete and undoubtedly talented, but he's up against just as talented athletes who have been playing this game for years

Quote Originally Posted by light up the darkness View Post
    IMO it’s all about marketing and selling the idea of the NFL to wider audiences. Similar to the New York Jets receiving the rights to Ireland as part of the NFLs Global Markets Program

The Chiefs can carry an IPP player because they’re not on the 53 player roster. LRZ may make an appearance in a special play but it would be a huge development to see him named in a match day squad/team
    So you’re skeptical too😜

I'll be very surprised if he makes the 53-man roster. He'll either get cut, or moved to the practice squad. I went to see a Jets pre-season game last year, before the roster deadline. Teams can keep 90 players until then and it looked like every one one of them was suited up.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I'll be very surprised if he makes the 53-man roster. He'll either get cut, or moved to the practice squad. I went to see a Jets pre-season game last year, before the roster deadline. Teams can keep 90 players until then and it looked like every one one of them was suited up.
    Only thing working for him is the Chiefs are weak at both RB and WR potentially this season, if Mahomes decides he likes him that could be the difference.

I foresee him back in Rugby by the next world cup.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Kaiser View Post
    Only thing working for him is the Chiefs are weak at both RB and WR potentially this season, if Mahomes decides he likes him that could be the difference.

I foresee him back in Rugby by the next world cup.
    Isn’t he on triple his salary already

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    Something like that. However I doubt he’ll get kept on practice squads for that long, and doubt even less as an elite athlete he’ll want to.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    No he needs to make the roster for the squad.

At the moment they just have him as their player for a free spot from the pathway program.

I know next to nothing about the sport.

Do practice squad fodder usually get 3 year deals?

Is it a sign they think longer term they may be able to do something with him or are the contracts about as significant as a football managers over here?

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post

Is it a sign they think longer term they may be able to do something with him or are the contracts about as significant as a football managers over here?
    I think Christian Wade the England International was in the NFL 3 seasons and didnt play a single game other than preseason.

talking of NFL contracts

Mahomes ( his teammate ) is on a 10 year deal with $450 Mill, $63 Mill signing bonus, and I guess importanlty $141 million in guarantees for injury ( though he does take very good care of himself, he training program is mental, his trainer put him in a type of cage and manipulates his body to strange angles and shapes so if he gets hit on the field he has less chance of injury

A 3-year deal doesn't mean a thing. They can cut him at any time. He has "some guaranteed money".

He got cut by the Kansas City Chiefs, but he could be picked up by another team or at worst end up on a practice squad.

The NFL has been paying his salary thus far via the scheme.
    It will be difficult for him to get signed (and paid) by another franchise.

Quote Originally Posted by G rangetown Blue View Post
    The NFL has been paying his salary thus far via the scheme.
    It will be difficult for him to get signed (and paid) by another franchise.
    It won’t. He’ll end up on a practice squad and earn 200k a year. I’d be amazed if the Chiefs don’t keep him.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    It won’t. He’ll end up on a practice squad and earn 200k a year. I’d be amazed if the Chiefs don’t keep him.
    He no longer has his number 9 jersey, he's now been allocated number 49 instead.
    I think he'll stay with the Chiefs' practice squad, which is what he needs.
    Perhaps by next year's pre-season training camp he'll be more prepared to make a serious attempt at the 53 man roster.
    I don't see another club trying to pick such an 'unfinished project' up on waivers.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    He no longer has his number 9 jersey, he's now been allocated number 49 instead.
    I think he'll stay with the Chiefs' practice squad, which is what he needs.
    Perhaps by next year's pre-season training camp he'll be more prepared to make a serious attempt at the 53 man roster.
    I don't see another club trying to pick such an 'unfinished project' up on waivers.
    He hasn’t got any number now! He’s got a week to clear waivers and then the Chiefs can sign him to their practice squad (although anyone else can too!). He doesn’t know the sport, still. A year of practice is probably best if he wants to make it; or he might want to go to France to play Top 14!

He hasn’t got any number now! He’s got a week to clear waivers and then the Chiefs can sign him to their practice squad (although anyone else can too!). He doesn’t know the sport, still. A year of practice is probably best if he wants to make it; or he might want to go to France to play Top 14!
    Not according to this article..
    https://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=Awr9...Lo_ggnuuSf1kA-

He's missed a few training sessions with a back injury. Some are speculating this could be a ploy to put him on the injured reserve list, a move that would see him stay with the team but free up a roster spot for someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    Not according to this article..
    https://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=Awr9...Lo_ggnuuSf1kA-

He's missed a few training sessions with a back injury. Some are speculating this could be a ploy to put him on the injured reserve list, a move that would see him stay with the team but free up a roster spot for someone else.

The NFL changed the rules this year, there's now no longer a ploy needed to put an injured player on IR by cutting them first, you can just put them straight on IR coming out of camp. The British press has been putting out nonsense on this story from day one... mostly Wales Online but even the BBC has been reporting crap.

The facts haven't changed from what they were months ago, he's a good athlete at a position where good athletes are dime a dozen, who hasn't played the game in his life. He was always going to end up on a practice squad if he wants to be there because IPP players have a free spot, but the chances of him playing a regular season game or being a contributor unless he sticks it out for years is basically nothing.

I meant, signed to another teams starting roster. He says he wants to stay in the US, so probably will be in a teams practice squad.

What does the practice squad do, just train? Still sounds a good gig.

What does the practice squad do, just train? Still sounds a good gig.
    Minimum salary of $200k and could get called up at any minute if required. He was never going to make a roster this year.

Yes, the practice squad trains and prepares the 53 man roster by acting as the other team they'll be playing in the upcoming week in walkthroughs and practice drills. And in theory they will be first in line for being called up to the 53 man although in practice, sometimes the team will sign or trade for veterans first. It's also free for other teams to sign players off practice squads although I believe the Chiefs would get first right of refusal to sign him to the 53 man first if that happened.

Overall if it's similar money he's getting in Rugby and he's never playing in any games, I imagine it will get old very quickly for him but let's see.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Bluebird View Post
    Yes, the practice squad trains and prepares the 53 man roster by acting as the other team they'll be playing in the upcoming week in walkthroughs and practice drills. And in theory they will be first in line for being called up to the 53 man although in practice, sometimes the team will sign or trade for veterans first. It's also free for other teams to sign players off practice squads although I believe the Chiefs would get first right of refusal to sign him to the 53 man first if that happened.

Overall if it's similar money he's getting in Rugby and he's never playing in any games, I imagine it will get old very quickly for him but let's see.
    Is it the practice squad or the practise squad because in the world’s daftest game the practice of the practise squad is to stand idly by at the sideline practising whilst in practice for most of the game they have absolutely nothing to practise because in practice they are never called upon to practise. Only the Yanks could devise a game of 4 x 15 minute quarters that lasts for 3 hours and the majority at the sidelines do absolutely nothing including not practising!!