+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Foodies Festival

Foodies Festival

I went there yesterday and the Merthyr Mawr one 2 weeks ago.

Some really good vendors but by christ has it gone expensive.

I guess it's because of the fees they get charged but how can they justify a whippy ice cream for £7 and small bowls of food for £15+

Re: Foodies Festival

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post

I guess it's because of the fees they get charged but how can they justify a whippy ice cream for £7 and small bowls of food for £15+
    Did you have to pay to gain entry as well, or were the fees just for the music artistes ? (I use the word, “artistes”, lightly

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Did you have to pay to gain entry as well, or were the fees just for the music artistes ? (I use the word, “artistes”, lightly
    Walesonline were reporting that entry was £21 😳

Quote Originally Posted by tomcat View Post
    Walesonline were reporting that entry was £21 ��
    I seen that, but was that to eat expensive tat, or listen to second rate music ?

I seen that, but was that to eat expensive tat, or listen to second rate music ?
    You pay a lot more than that to watch sub standard football!!

I saw a few people locally offering what appeared to be freebies over the weekend. Whether some were released, as sales were low I'm not sure.
    What's the difference anyway between a music festival that has food stalls, and a food festival that also has live music?
    Was it just a way to get through a licence application?

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    You pay a lot more than that to watch sub standard football!!
    He doesn’t.

"street food" is one of those words used to eke money out of easily led middle class people.

These kind of places are so corporate and sanitised nowadays. It's quite mad how much things have changed in the last 15 years or so

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    "street food" is one of those words used to eke money out of easily led middle class people.

These kind of places are so corporate and sanitised nowadays. It's quite mad how much things have changed in the last 15 years or so
    It's mostly pretentious bollocks

I just go to the curry stalls watching the chefs knock up a chicken tikka masala and half and half

It's best to leave these food festivals by early evening at the booze kicks in and they all start brawling over the last of the vegan nonsense

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    It's mostly pretentious bollocks

I just go to the curry stalls watching the chefs knock up a chicken tikka masala and half and half

It's best to leave these food festivals by early evening at the booze kicks in and they all start brawling over the last of the vegan nonsense
    It's great to find some common ground with you Sludge ✊

Family just couldn't afford to go , which was a pity ,event for the wealthy I guess ?

It's great to find some common ground with you Sludge ✊

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post

Why bother going at that price - just to watch someone cook or to have the privilege to eat the food they have just cooked. Time for a great reset in all this sort of stuff. What the council dont realise is that the more expensive they make it the less will come, so the less they will make, so they put the price up again. More people = more turn over which means they dont have to charge so much for entry.

But the id1iots who work for the council dont realise something - they work for the council for a reason - they wouldnt survive in the private sector and generally have no idea how to run a business.

Im an ex council worker and realised this a long time ago, after I left the council.

Someone I used to work with used to be a secretary - she is / was head of 'tourism' for the council - and she still has trouble with a spreadsheet.

Quote Originally Posted by pipster View Post
    Why bother going at that price - just to watch someone cook or to have the privilege to eat the food they have just cooked. Time for a great reset in all this sort of stuff. What the council dont realise is that the more expensive they make it the less will come, so the less they will make, so they put the price up again. More people = more turn over which means they dont have to charge so much for entry.

But the id1iots who work for the council dont realise something - they work for the council for a reason - they wouldnt survive in the private sector and generally have no idea how to run a business.

Im an ex council worker and realised this a long time ago, after I left the council.

Someone I used to work with used to be a secretary - she is / was head of 'tourism' for the council - and she still has trouble with a spreadsheet.
    I was going to go, but driving there at 20mph put me off.

For someone who shits his pants at generalisations, you have just performed one in the post you have just made

I do agree with you though. It's not Street food, whatever that means. Go to Bombay if you really want to see street food. It's another thing the middle classes culture thieves steel from the poor, re classify it and make it there own. I went up to London recently and did Portobello road market. And there were loads of these places there. Although they weren't that expensive. I had a Goat Curry, rice and peas with slaw for a tenner. And it was alright.

There used to be a place in Cardiff called Spice Box which did great takeaways and a spice mix they made and sold so you could make lovely to your taste curry at home

I think the owner died recently , maybe his family have carried it on

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    For someone who shits his pants at generalisations, you have just performed one in the post you have just made

I do agree with you though. It's not Street food, whatever that means. Go to Bombay if you really want to see street food. It's another thing the middle classes culture thieves steel from the poor, re classify it and make it there own. I went up to London recently and did Portobelloroad market. And there were loads of these places there. Although they weren't that expensive. I had a GOAT Curry, rice and peas with slaw for a tenner. And it was alright.
    You’re kidding us

You’re kidding us
    It’s the nanny state, you silly Billy.

There used to be a place in Cardiff called Spice Box which did great takeaways and a spice mix they made and sold so you could make lovely to your taste curry at home

I think the owner died recently , maybe his family have carried it on
    Woodville rd. That place was really good. Proper old school.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Woodville rd. That place was really good. Proper old school.
    I will check if its still going

There's a few old school curry places about , one in Grangetown near the old rajas snooker Hall did amazing afternoon vegetarian stuff , they were Indian owners so no chicken or lamb dishes but lovely

Quote Originally Posted by pipster View Post

What are you talking about? The traders set the price of the food not the council.

Thats the going rate for gourmet street food at these type of events. I didnt go but know several people who did and had a great time but dont let that get in the way of a good witchunt.

There's a few old school curry places about , one in Grangetown near the old rajas snooker Hall did amazing afternoon vegetarian stuff , they were Indian owners so no chicken or lamb dishes but lovely
    There's a bloke in Canton that dos indian-Bangladeshi food out of a van. Tiffin Meal it's called. Really good and reasonably priced. The place upstairs in the market is decent enough as well. It's not mind blowing, but good, consistently. The Pizza place just down from it is good as well. Good prices.

I believe Cardiff has a Mowgli Indian street food place, now if anyone wants to see a pretentious place, look no further than this place, I was treated to the experience at the Bristol one by one of my customers,

all the food is served I tiffin tins ( well slightly smaller versions on them ) the cost was just silly money, all the walls are covered in LED curtains and its all very instagram-able

best Indian street food ive had is either in Bath ( its a very small shop front ), no eating in, just Indian Snacks, or on the corner of the road leading to Wembley, also just a small shop front with takeaways

Madhav’s?

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Madhav’s?
    That's the one !

It's like a little greasy spoon cafe

But with Indian food

I made the mistake of not having a lasse cooling yoghurt drink when I asked for the special thali , which I was told was hot

The next time I had it mild with samosas

Lovely place