+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Eurovision Tonight . MOTD on BBC2 .

Re: Eurovision Tonight . MOTD on BBC2 .

Quote Originally Posted by PontBlue View Post
    So conspiracy theorists are now trying to hijack the term critical thinking to avoid sounding so loony are they?
    Conspiracy theorists is so 2020 , have you got anymore as most I’ve heard have turned out to have been true.

I realise that with the average age of the regular posters ( about 30 judging by the Bulut poll) is closer to retirement so it’s always going to be a hard gig at times on this particular platform.

I bet you tuned into this guy

https://x.com/bgatesisapyscho/status...LhmySD2aRt-GNg

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    Conspiracy theorists is so 2020 , have you got anymore as most I’ve heard have turned out to have been true.

I realise that with the average age of the regular posters ( about 30 judging by the Bulut poll) is closer to retirement so it’s always going to be a hard gig at times on this particular platform.

I bet you tuned into this guy

https://x.com/bgatesisapyscho/status...LhmySD2aRt-GNg
    I'd say that it's the other way. The older people get the more cynical they become. Therefore finding reasons to reinforce their own prejudices. Obviously an anecdotal theory.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    One of the great questions of the twenty first century, what is it about Greta Thunberg that gets men of a certain political persuasion’s blood pressure to rise to dangerous levels?
    What's political persuasion got to do with it ?
    I have no time for her . Am I missing something?

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    I can see Bob's point. I reckon most people who think she's a waste of time are likely to align with the likes of Nigel Farage, British First types.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    I'd say that it's the other way. The older people get the more cynical they become. Therefore finding reasons to reinforce their own prejudices. Obviously an anecdotal theory.
    Is that because, hopefully we have a little more knowledge and question things more?
    That means I am not buying into everything the establishment serves us up and get disappointed when I feel someone (establishment) is trying to coerce me into believing something they want me to that probably isn't true, for their own ends.

I clapped for the NHS .
    A personal situation happening at the time stopped me clapping.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    I can see Bob's point. I reckon most people who think she's a waste of time are likely to align with the likes of Nigel Farage, British First types.
    That is a hell of a generalisation . I don't think I have met many people who are interested in what she has to say
    Equally, I also don't think I have met anyone who openly supports Nigel Farage.

Is that because, hopefully we have a little more knowledge and question things more?
    That means I am not buying into everything the establishment serves us up and get disappointed when I feel someone (establishment) is trying to coerce me into believing something they want me to that probably isn't true, for their own ends.

I clapped for the NHS .
    All anecdotal of course Jim, although i'd say that it's not much to do with being more critical in thinking as a person gets older. I would have thought that life experience would make a person more gentle, forgiving, caring, possessing the ability to empathise that little bit more, give people the benefit of the doubt and attempt to listen to all sides of an argument, even if that 'Argument' is way off Kilter. Just by looking at this board as a small sample there does seem to be some twisted angry old men who have 101 reasons as to why everything is shit. Thing is, they're the common denominator

You do tend to prove my point in your reply to Tuerto.

One thing I’m less clear about as I get older is the meaning of the word “establishment” - someone like Greta Thunberg would never have been described as establishment for the first sixty or so years of my life, but in recent years it seems she’s become the epitome of it for some - what’s changed?

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    All anecdotal of course Jim, although i'd say that it's not much to do with being more critical in thinking as a person gets older. I would have thought that life experience would make a person more gentle, forgiving, caring, possessing the ability to empathise that little bit more, give people the benefit of the doubt and attempt to listen to all sides of an argument, even if that 'Argument' is way off Kilter. Just by looking at this board as a small sample there does seem to be some twisted angry old men who have 101 reasons as to why everything is shit. Thing is, they're the common denominator
    Because the internet has given them a voice .
    I could be detrimental about them , but that would be supressing the caring, gentle, understanding and emphatic real me.
    What you say is true .
    But I certainly question more as well.

I find her an annoying, overzealous, entitled, unsympathetic, somewhat of a bigot, rude, naive and largely counter productive middle class hypocrite.

The most overwhelming of those criticisms is the first one. Just so annoying.

You want to win people around to green issues? People like her won't help.

But this isn't against her. The same criticism is largely levelled at most environmental campaigners who adopt similar tactics, she is just the most prominent.

Because the internet has given them a voice .
    I could be detrimental about them , but that would be supressing the caring, gentle, understanding and emphatic real me.
    What you say is true .
    But I certainly question more as well.
    Yeah, i question more now as well. I can still get angry and reactionary about things but i have learnt that it gets me nowhere. So i suppose i have become slightly wiser as i have aged

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    You do tend to prove my point in your reply to Tuerto.

One thing I’m less clear about as I get older is the meaning of the word “establishment” - someone like Greta Thunberg would never have been described as establishment for the first sixty or so years of my life, but in recent years it seems she’s become the epitome of it for some - what’s changed?
    It was the best I could come up with , I understand society (establishment)needs control , but its how the control is managed .

Greta is the darling of the press , until one day she wont be .She is nothing to do with our society.
    The Palestinian situation is horrific , how it was started , what has happened since, its totally horrific . A young lady leading a March against another young lady who is singing for her country doesn't change any of it .And it wont .

It was the best I could come up with , I understand society (establishment)needs control , but its how the control is managed .

Greta is the darling of the press , until one day she wont be .She is nothing to do with our society.
    The Palestinian situation is horrific , how it was started , what has happened since, its totally horrific . A young lady leading a March against another young lady who is singing for her country doesn't change any of it .And it wont .
    Yeah, I can’t argue with your last couple of sentences. I’d definitely consider going on a pro Palestine march held locally, but if Eurovision 2024 had been held in Treorchy Town Hall, I wouldn’t have got involved in any demonstration against the Israeli contestant.

WTF is this got to do with EV ? Guys get you skirts on and get non binary

I clapped for the NHS .
    Your hand fell off ?

Now the EU has complained to the EBU that the EU flag wasn't allowed in the venue.
    EBU rules state only participating countries' flags and the rainbow flag are allowed.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cw4dd9lzx02o
    What a load of bollocks!

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    Now the EU has complained to the EBU that the EU flag wasn't allowed in the venue.
    EBU rules state only participating countries' flags and the rainbow flag are allowed.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cw4dd9lzx02o
    What a load of bollocks!
    Pretty petty. All flags are inherently political. I could understand a policy of only national flags but I saw a few of the updated rainbow flags which are far more political than an EU flag. Of course, the EU and Europe aren't the same thing at all, but can't see harm in letting them in, especially in Sweden

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    It's a contest to see which country can come up with the worst song.
    And worst costumes (Though one singer this year has virtually no costume, flashing his dangly bits around, dirty sod)

And it is a contest with absolutely no politics involved, none whatsoever.
    Cock-rock making a come back?

Now Nemo, the dickhead who won, smashed the trophy
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/entert...-arts-69002336

That is a hell of a generalisation . I don't think I have met many people who are interested in what she has to say
    Equally, I also don't think I have met anyone who openly supports Nigel Farage.
    I worded that poorly, apologies. I'll reword, rethink my generalisation in more detail.

I've got friends on social media, some of whom fall into one general category. Not sure how you'd name this category, but if they were ever to share some pointless meme on Facebook, they'd be things like, not that I'm saying everyone subscribes to everything in this list:

Muslims being offended by poppies
    False nonsense about our Military and Armed Forces not being appreciated
    Stop the boats, ban immigration (mainly of muslims)
    Support Brexit
    Why can't we use Christmas and Easter, even when they aren't religious at all
    How much foreign aid costs
    The workshy
    Bollocks to the environment
    Dripford
    Anything anti-Labour
    Welsh friends who are Pro-British to the point of almost being anti-Welsh and dislike anything anyone in Wales does ever, that Britain is the only important country in the world
    Freedom of speech (usually to allow discrimination), usually coupled with comments about people being offended by certain old fashioned types of inappropriate humour.

If anyone was going to post anti Greta Thunberg stuff, it's that sort of demographic, not that they all do, nor are those who post anti-Greta stuff do subscribe to that list. It's also possibly true that those who aren't bothered by the above list are accepting of what she and other environmentalists do. I accept that it's certainly not a case of one or the other.

I worded that poorly, apologies. I'll reword, rethink my generalisation in more detail.

I've got friends on social media, some of whom fall into one general category. Not sure how you'd name this category, but if they were ever to share some pointless meme on Facebook, they'd be things like, not that I'm saying everyone subscribes to everything in this list:

Support Brexit
    The workshy
    Dripford
    Anything anti-Labour
    Welsh friends who are Pro-British to the point of almost being anti-Welsh and dislike anything anyone in Wales does ever, that Britain is the only important country in the world
    Freedom of speech (usually to allow discrimination), usually coupled with comments about people being offended by certain old fashioned types of inappropriate humour.

If anyone was going to post anti Greta Thunberg stuff, it's that sort of demographic, not that they all do, nor are those who post anti-Greta stuff do subscribe to that list. It's also possibly true that those who aren't bothered by the above list are accepting of what she and other environmentalists do. I accept that it's certainly not a case of one or the other.
    Brilliant post Eric and spot on!

You only missed out:...

Complaints about Councils and Council Workers (and how poor they are compared to the private sector)

And .. every other word interspersed with "Woke" and how everything was so much better back in the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    Brilliant post Eric and spot on!

You only missed out:...

Complaints about Councils and Council Workers (and how poor they are compared to the private sector)

And .. every other word interspersed with "Woke" and how everything was so much better back in the day.
    Thanks.

How could I forget those?

Support Brexit
    The workshy
    Dripford
    Anything anti-Labour

So around and around we go.
    The culture wars continue and are to be blamed on those with an opposing view.

Do you acknowledge any of the concerns of those that hold a different view to you?
    Do you care at least to meet a common ground with those you disagree with?

I honestly think that we are close to civil conflict in the West due to people being so unyielding in their ideologies.

Quote Originally Posted by Wash DC Blue View Post
    So around and around we go.
    The culture wars continue and are to be blamed on those with an opposing view.

Do you acknowledge any of the concerns of those that hold a different view to you?
    Do you care at least to meet a common ground with those you disagree with?

I honestly think that we are close to civil conflict in the West due to people being so unyielding in their ideologies.
    Telling that you decide to write that after Eric wrote a post which seemed pretty accurate to me, not when we had someone in the thread mocking those who showed their appreciation of NHS staff during the lockdowns four years ago.

Support Brexit
    The workshy
    Dripford
    Anything anti-Labour

You can't say Happy Christmas these days !

If you say you are British these days they throw you in jail !