+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: VAR To Get The Boot?

Re: VAR To Get The Boot?

I don't know why they don't use a system like the NFL where the coaches have challenges, two per half and like someone said earlier, if the decision is too close to call and there is not a clear and obvious reason to overturn it, you stay with the on field decision.

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    Wouldn't we have stayed in the prem under Warnock if VAR was in use?
    If it's the Chelsea game in question, nobody knows what would have happened had the goal been disallowed. I sometimes see tables suggesting how many points have been won and lost by teams because of VAR and they're daft. All VAR does is change a moment in the game. Overturning a goal at some point doesn't mean the game would have carried on exactly as it would have otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by PontBlue View Post
    If it is to be retained there needs to be a short time limit and drawing of lines needs to be dropped.

If it isn't clear and obvious quickly, to the naked eye, a decision is wrong go with the onfield decision
    This would improve it immensely.

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    Wouldn't we have stayed in the prem under Warnock if VAR was in use?
    Probably not. There would have been decisions that went against us too.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Probably not. There would have been decisions that went against us too.
    Correct.
    Brighton home game earlier in season - the build up to the winner goal would have ruled it out had had VAR reviewed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus_Mills View Post
    I don't know why they don't use a system like the NFL where the coaches have challenges, two per half and like someone said earlier, if the decision is too close to call and there is not a clear and obvious reason to overturn it, you stay with the on field decision.
    Why not ‘Don’t interfere with the most popular sport on the planet?’.

I'm with those who've said it needs to be quick and it should only be used to overturn obvious mistakes. Being a millimetre closer to the goal than a defender 10 metres away from you isn't an advantage, but it's enough to make you offside in VAR world.
    Might be better too, as also suggested already, to give each team 1 or 2 challenges per half instead of refs calling for it.

Offside could be cleared up easily, full body past the line to be offside.

Advantage should always go to the attacker

International

Quote Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
    Wolves are the ones who have kicked this off as they have called for VAR to be scrapped.
    This will trigger a vote. The vote will take place on June 6th. All 20 Premier league teams for the 2024/25 season will be confirmed by this date.
    A list was compiled as to why they want this vote
    ● Impact on goal celebrations and the spontaneous passion that makes football special.
    ● Frustration and confusion inside stadiums due to lengthy VAR checks and poor communication.
    ● A more hostile atmosphere with protests, booing of the Premier League anthem and chants against VAR.
    ● Overreach of VAR’s original purpose to correct clear and obvious mistakes, now overanalysing subjective decisions and compromising the game’s fluidity and integrity.
    ● Diminished accountability of on-field officials, due to the safety net of VAR, leading to an erosion of authority on the pitch.
    ● Continued errors despite VAR, with supporters unable to accept human error after multiple views and replays, damaging confidence in officiating standards.
    ● Disruption of the Premier League’s fast pace with lengthy VAR checks and more added time, causing matches to run excessively long.
    ● Constant discourse about VAR decisions often overshadowing the match itself, and tarnishing the reputation of the league.
    ● Erosion of trust and reputation, with VAR fuelling completely nonsensical allegations of corruption.
    This story was broken by the Athletic's David Ornstein
    But other than that it has been great

It’ll take them a year to make a decision

Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus_Mills View Post
    Might stop play acting but then would VAR get it right.

The main function of the VAR officials seems to be to seek out a reason to disallow a goal. It’s gone way past ‘clear and obvious’ corrections.

The offside rule needs to be fixed. If I stand directly behind you but put my hand in front of you, I'm still behind you. The toe or shoulder or hand over the line thing is ****ing ridiculous. As is players trying to get others booked or sent off. That should be a bookable offence even if the player is proven correct.

Also, why can't they have goal line technology around the entire perimeter of the pitch? That would at least save some time. 100 minute football matches are ridiculous. That sort of thing would happen once a season after a serious injury, now it's the norm.

Vartastic news

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    The offside rule needs to be fixed. If I stand directly behind you but put my hand in front of you, I'm still behind you. The toe or shoulder or hand over the line thing is ****ing ridiculous. As is players trying to get others booked or sent off. That should be a bookable offence even if the player is proven correct.
    So the line is set by a shoulder or toe but not broken by one?