+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Praying For Armageddon , American Fundamental Christians , BBC Four , 10 pm

Re: Praying For Armageddon , American Fundamental Christians , BBC Four , 10 pm

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Thou shall not kill

Unless you are an American Evangelical Christian
    I was stuck on a trans Atlantic flight once when I was 19 next to a load of Christian missionaries, I’ve never moaned since about anyone I’ve had to sit next too. The flight must have been about 24 hrs….

I don't differentiate between Christians and Muslims

There are nutters within both followings
    And there's always been nutters at NP and the CCS, but does that mean that there are no genuine CCFC Fans?

Quote Originally Posted by truthpaste View Post
    And there's always been nutters at NP and the CCS, but does that mean that there are no genuine CCFC Fans?
    Me and the nutters have an interest in something that we can physically watch

I have no common interest with Christians

Me and the nutters have an interest in something that we can physically watch

I have no common interest with Christians
    Incorrect, as I and many other Christians I know also watch the City. So how can you have NO common interests with us?

Incorrect, as I and many other Christians I know also watch the City. So how can you have NO common interests with us?
    You and the nutters support the same football team as me

But apart from being nutters then as long as they were not Christians we could have a cup of tea

But I couldn't really have any sort of serious chat over a cuppa with a Christian as they are on a completely different planet to me

They genuinely believe and try to persuade me to belive in something that clearly is utterly preposterous

A nutter who is also a Christian is like a Christian who is also a conservative voter ....double danger

In America the right wing Christian evangelical nutters are almost exclusively conservative republicans

It's all very odd

But I couldn't really have any sort of serious chat over a cuppa with a Christian as they are on a completely different planet to me

They genuinely believe and try to persuade me to belive in something that clearly is utterly preposterous
    Unlike your own, their abitions & destiny don't end on this crumbling planet, that much is certain.

No, trusting God's Word makes perfect sense, if you test it, what is preposterous is trusting in scientists who can't answer ANY of life's big questions, offer you zero hope and leave you angry, frustrated and without answers.

Unlike your own, their abitions & destiny don't end on this crumbling planet, that much is certain.

No, trusting God's Word makes perfect sense, if you test it, what is preposterous is trusting in scientists who can't answer ANY of life's big questions, offer you zero hope and leave you angry, frustrated and without answers.
    What you are wanting here is hope......answers to lifes big questions ?

For me they are food , shelter , trying to help someone , etc

Loads of people on this planet have hope and are frustrated by life but are not angry or frustrated by the questions YOU want answered ......which is basically the afterlife

I cannot trust God or jesus as I have been here for 5 decades and they have never got in touch and I don't know anyone who has spoken to them

Some people say they have but that's either fellow religious people like you and I simply don't believe them or people who have severe psychiatric problems and hear voices or suffer delusions like schizophrenics or those with bipolar disorder

They often say they are talking to God when very unwell but when they recover from an episode they accept they were not of sound mind

There is no evidence at all of God's word , voice , public appearances in all these years

We have had cameras , film producers and people who say they have seen or talked to God......no recordings or photos or film of God at all ......you would have thought in all this time God would have used his powers to let mankind he was there and those that witnessed his presence would have filmed or recorded it

It's 2024 , let's have some evidence

If I want evidence of a drug being given to me by a doctor for back pain being effective I can speak to him , other people , nhs 111 ,read the leaflet in with the package , look on the internet for the views of other users and try the medication and find out wether or not it actually helps

I can make an informed decision based on scientific research , lab tests , the knowledge and experience of highly trained doctors

Whereas someone can stand up in an evangelical church , sing a few songs, tell everyone about how great God is without any evidence he exists and if someone gets cancer then wether he lives or dies all depends on God who is the supreme decision maker

Absolute nonsense

If it gives people comfort then that's up to them , I prefer to listen to music , go fishing , give some money to a homeless charity without being guided by someone who doesn't exist or his followers

Absolute nonsense

If it gives people comfort then that's up to them , I prefer to listen to music , go fishing , give some money to a homeless charity without being guided by someone who doesn't exist or his followers
    Indeed, you don't stop fishing for answers, which is to your credit.

It's a shame that your first attempted connection with God was with false man-made religion; this has now tainted all avenues in your mind including the real Jesus who is the hope of the world. I pray you find him before time runs out.

It's a shame that your first attempted connection with God was with false man-made religion; this has now tainted all avenues in your mind including the real Jesus who is the hope of the world. I pray you find him before time runs out.
    Can i ask do children go straight to heaven?
    Just asking after the deaths of two little ones in the UK this week,do they have to repent if so what kind of thing would they be repenting?

Quote Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
    Can i ask do children go straight to heaven?
    Just asking after the deaths of two little ones in the UK this week,do they have to repent if so what kind of thing would they be repenting?
    Straight to heaven, yes. Children and other mentally immature individuals who wouldn't have the capacity to comprehend what God has offered them in Christ sufficiently to reject it would be in Heaven, I have no doubt at all.
    If you have any follow up questions then do fire away.

It wasn't MY attempt to connect with God

I had absolutely no choice

Catholic primary and junior school

Mass every Sunday and all the other holy days

I eventually thought this is nonsense as soon as I was able to realise it

From then on Sundays were a good laugh going fishing , playing football and generally messing about like kids do when they are not forced to go to church

If people at 21 are told about God and they choose to reject it or take an interest that's fine

Straight to heaven, yes. Children and other mentally immature individuals who wouldn't have the capacity to comprehend what God has offered them in Christ sufficiently to reject it would be in Heaven, I have no doubt at all.
    If you have any follow up questions then do fire away.
    God hasn't offered me anything

Priests etc have but they have many notorious liars and charlatans in their ranks

Online ministers , rabbis , the pope , monks , vicars ........they are not God and could be up to all sorts of nonsense

American TV Evangelicists .......sex offenders , financial fraud, extra marital affairs with the congregation , threatening women and doctors outside abortion clinics , supporting the bombing of gaza

If God got it touch with me we could possibly have an initial chat over a cuppa but that's it as far as connecting with religion goes

If a local church is collecting food for the homeless I will pop round with a donation but if they invite me to the next Sunday service or offer me a bible I am off before they can blink

I don't differentiate between Christians and Muslims

There are nutters within both followings
    What threads have you started to slag off Muslims?

You are correct, it wasn't you actively seeking God, it was dry pointless religion being jammed down your throat.
    All you experienced via religion was nonsense and only served to poison all pathways to God, both false and genuine.

If God got it touch with me we could possibly have an initial chat over a cuppa.....
    What purpose would such a conversation serve from your perspective?

Quote Originally Posted by Thoth View Post
    What threads have you started to slag off Muslims?
    Do I have to start off a thread saying Islam is nonsense to show that I don't have time for any organised religion ?

Or is that a request ?

What purpose would such a conversation serve from your perspective?
    Well if I met God and I found out he existed I would ask him what he could offer if I signed up

Well if I met God and I found out he existed I would ask him what he could offer if I signed up
    Read a few verses from John 3 where Jesus is speaking for 30 seconds and you will have your answer > John 3

I cannot trust God or Jesus as I have been here for 5 decades and they have never got in touch and I don't know anyone who has spoken to them.
    Well I speak to them daily and they speak to me by various means; I’m sure Gofer and any other person who knows Christ personally would give you a similar answer.

As for God getting in touch, then since you were a child, you’ve had a major event EVERY year to remind you that Christ came into the world as a baby, and another annual bank holiday along with Hot CROSS buns to remind you how He died and later rose again from the dead, a fact confirmed OUTSIDE the Bible writings as well as in them.

Some people say they have but that's either fellow religious people like you and I simply don't believe them.

No Christian would tell you to believe THEM, they would ask you to honestly LOOK at the evidence.

Until you do, all you are left with is the empty hope that it's somehow all fictional

Until you do, all you are left with is the empty hope that it's somehow all fictional
    Hope?

Jeez!

Well I speak to them daily and they speak to me by various means; I’m sure Gofer and any other person who knows Christ personally would give you a similar answer.

As for God getting in touch, then since you were a child, you’ve had a major event EVERY year to remind you that Christ came into the world as a baby, and another annual bank holiday along with Hot CROSS buns to remind you how He died and later rose again from the dead, a fact confirmed OUTSIDE the Bible writings as well as in them.

Some people say they have but that's either fellow religious people like you and I simply don't believe them.

No Christian would tell you to believe THEM, they would ask you to honestly LOOK at the evidence.

Yep all fictional.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Hope?

Jeez!
    And there it is, blaspheming the *Name of the only Hope he has.

* Jeez is a shortening of Jesus, which can be used as an interjection in a similar (though often more harsh) way. The similar terms gee and gee whiz are also based on the word Jesus.

Quote Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
    Yep all fictional.
    As secular history records both these events, the claim of fictional is simply blind denial.

From then on Sundays were a good laugh going fishing , playing football and generally messing about like kids do when they are not forced to go to church

If people at 21 are told about God and they choose to reject it or take an interest that's fine
    I can understand where you are coming from now. As TP says you have been brought up in the Catholic tradition with a lot of man-made rules and regulations. I have admiration for the Catholic church as they have done much good work amongst the poor in Third World countries, running hospitals etc but unfortunately have been let down by some of their priests. This is a terrible shame for the other hard working, decent people in the Catholic church.

However their insistence on the priest being an intermediary between us and God is a falsehood. There is no basis for such an intermediary - we can confess our sins directly to God. Also I cannot understand their veneration of Mary the mother of Jesus, which borders on idolatory. Yes, she was obviously very important in that she gave birth to Jesus but she is not God. Also the idea of praying to the saints or to the statues of saints....uhm!

In the news today we learn that the Catholic church is going to apply more scrutiny to claims of miraculous signs like weeping statues etc. which is not before time I feel. I often wonder if this is a money making scheme as people go on pilgrimages to see the places where these events have supposedly taken place.

P.S. I found this article on the web which summarises my take on the Catholic church very well:

https://www.gotquestions.org/catholicism.html

FYI these are the opening paragraphs:

The most crucial problem with the Roman Catholic Church is its belief that faith alone in Christ is not sufficient for salvation. The Bible clearly and consistently states that receiving Jesus Christ as Savior, by grace through faith, grants salvation (John 1:12; 3:16,18,36; Acts 16:31; Romans 10:9-10,13; Ephesians 2:8-9). The Roman Catholic Church rejects this. The official position of the Roman Catholic Church is that a person must believe in Jesus Christ AND be baptized AND receive the Eucharist along with the other sacraments AND obey the decrees of the Roman Catholic Church AND perform meritorious works AND not die with any mortal sins AND etc., etc., etc. Catholic divergence from the Bible on this most crucial of issues, salvation, means that yes, Catholicism is a false religion. If a person believes what the Catholic Church officially teaches, he/she will not be saved. Any claim that works or rituals must be added to faith in order for salvation to be achieved is a claim that Jesus’ death was not sufficient to fully purchase our salvation.

While salvation by faith is the most crucial issue, in comparing Roman Catholicism with the Word of God, there are many other differences and contradictions as well. The Roman Catholic Church teaches many doctrines that are in disagreement with what the Bible declares. These include apostolic succession, worship of saints or Mary, prayer to saints or Mary, the pope / papacy, infant baptism, transubstantiation, plenary indulgences, the sacramental system, and purgatory. While Catholics claim Scriptural support for these concepts, none of these teachings have any solid foundation in the clear teaching of Scripture. These concepts are based on Catholic tradition, not the Word of God. In fact, they all clearly contradict Biblical principles.

In other words there are lots of man-made rules and regs that you would need to follow, which are totally legalistic and unnecessary. If that's Christianity, then it's not for me!

And there it is, blaspheming the *Name of the only Hope he has.

* Jeez is a shortening of Jesus, which can be used as an interjection in a similar (though often more harsh) way. The similar terms gee and gee whiz are also based on the word Jesus.
    Wow, you don’t say!

It’s all self righteous blah blah blah and ignores (as usual) the point that you are (again) putting words into other posters mouths to suggest they are engaging with your fairy tales. Sludge has never said anything to suggest he ‘hopes’ your imaginary friend is fictional. He doesn’t ‘hope’. Nor do I or many other posters on here who have indulged you. We know. Hope that helps?