+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: David Wilkie

David Wilkie

Re: David Wilkie

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    Only 70.
    He came to our school once. I've got a photo of myself with him. Seemed like a nice guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Undercoverinwurzelland View Post
    Only 70.
    He came to our school once. I've got a photo of myself with him. Seemed like a nice guy.
    I remember him and that big moustache, ironically followed by Duncan Goodhuw - who had no hair whatsoever

Fecking cancer, horrible affliction on the human race.

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    Fecking cancer, horrible affliction on the human race.
    this x a million

International

[QUOTE=ToTaL ITK;5513051]this x a million[/QUOTTWT

Tel me about it

Hard to believe for anyone who has only known the post lottery funding haul of medals every four years, but David Wilkie’s gold was one of only three won by the UK at the 1976 Olympics in Montreal - Brendan Foster’s bronze was the only medal won in athletics in what was this country’s worst Olympics since I started watching them in 1964.

That’s why his name was probably the first I would have thought of if asked to name a British swimming Olympic gold medalist - another of the iconic sportsmen of my youth gone.

RIP

His stood out as we won very few Olympic medals back then, especially gold.
    I can still recall Alan Weekes commentary 'And it's Wilkie' and bizarrely his winning time of 2:15:11.
    Think these days the women are faster than that and the men are just over 2 mins for the same event.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    His stood out as we won very few Olympic medals back then, especially gold.
    I can still recall Alan Weekes commentary 'And it's Wilkie' and bizarrely his winning time of 2:15:11.
    Think these days the women are faster than that and the men are just over 2 mins for the same event.
    Due to the huge leap forward in training methods and taking a more scientific approach preparing swimmers for competition, you can't compare times set then with the current standards.

The greatest swimmer of that era was probably Mark Spitz of the USA. His world records for the 100m and 200m freestyle are now 4 and 8 seconds slower than those set by the current British record holders !