+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: City Season Stats

City Season Stats

Re: City Season Stats

Some selected additional stats for context.
    - 50 players scored 7 or more goals.
    - 16 players had 8 or more assists.
    - Karlan Grant had the 88th highest xG.
    - Karlan Grant had the 80th highest non-penalty xG.

Quote Originally Posted by JumpersforGoalposts View Post
    Some selected additional stats for context.
    - 50 players scored 7 or more goals.
    - 16 players had 8 or more assists.
    - Karlan Grant had the 88th highest xG.
    - Karlan Grant had the 80th highest non-penalty xG.
    A lot of our stats from last season don't make for great reading.

Most of these really should be per90 stats to be meaningful

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Most of these really should be per90 stats to be meaningful
    For example

Goals : 6 for Grant and Ng
    Goals per 90 is 0.38 for Ugbo and Ramsey

Shots 64 for KG

Shots per90 you have 2.5 for Joel Colwill and 2.29 for Cian Ashford but those are off only a handful of games, but it's usually best to ignore 10 games or less - next you would have Rubin Colwill on 2.26 and Kion Etete on 2.23. KG was 9th in the list on 1.84

Dribbles 133 Josh bowler
    Per 90 it's still Bowler at 5.04, with Rubin Colwill just behind on 4.92

Colwill has the most successful dribbles per 90 at 2.6, way clear of the next ; Tanner at 1.55.

You can do the same with most of them, the main reason that Karlan Grant shows up so much in these stats is he's played pretty much twice the number of minutes as any of the other attacking players

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    A lot of our stats from last season don't make for great reading.
    Don't they just, I gave up after finding that as a team we were 22nd on xG. The only positive surprise is how on earth did we finish so "high" up the table, albeit the one that really matters!

Don't they just, I gave up after finding that as a team we were 22nd on xG. The only positive surprise is how on earth did we finish so "high" up the table, albeit the one that really matters!
    That has been the crux of all the debates on how we did last season. On one side, we've done better than we would have expected given our stats. On the other side is a worry that, given those stats, next season could well be another struggle. I'd be utterly amazed if we finish in the top half again if we lose as many as we did, concede as many as we did and generally got bossed in most games we played.

I firmly believe team could improve in most respects next season and yet still finish lower down the Championship table. Everything, both in terms of the stats and what we witnessed with our own eyes, points to 2023/24 having been something of a freak campaign for Cardiff City. I'm absolutely certain we were extremely fortunate to finish where we did.

The worry is that the board will put their faith in the manager who presided over the team in 2023/24 based on the league table alone.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    I firmly believe team could improve in most respects next season and yet still finish lower down the Championship table. Everything, both in terms of the stats and what we witnessed with our own eyes, points to 2023/24 having been something of a freak campaign for Cardiff City. I'm absolutely certain we were extremely fortunate to finish where we did.
    The highest number of defeats we'd ever suffered before but finished in the top half was 18, both in 2005/06 and 2016/17. The previous 2 occasions where we lost 22 games in a season we were relegated. In fact, of the previous 13 occasions where we'd lost 22 or more games in a season, we were relegated 8 times.

We have conceded 70 or more in a season and finished in the top half, most noticeably in 1927/28 when we conceded 80 and finished 6th, but that's not happened in the modern era.