+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Welsh NHS

Welsh NHS

Waiting lists hit new record. Some pretty shocking figures here. The number waiting more than 12 months for referral is absolutely crazy in the difference to England, and shows how COVID has fkd everything too.

Why so bad?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c3ggl4qqlq1o

Re: Welsh NHS

There are reasons. Of course in January 2023 Sunak pledged to reduce NHS waiting lists. From Nov 22 - Nov 23 waiting lists in England increased by 5.7% compared to 1.4% in Wales.

Figures are recorded differently. Patient pathways as mentioned. The figures are recorded by pathways and some people have multiple pathways. There are pathways which are recorded in Wales but are not recorded in England.

England and Wales have had different policies on treatment. Wales treat those with the greatest clinical need first where England focus on the longest waiters.

The Welsh population is older and also has a higher percentage of the population over 65.

Poverty is higher in Wales.

Wales has no major acute hospitals in Powys and no major trauma centre in N Wales.

Lets face it the NHS needs major investment.

On Saturday I came across a man near Sophia gardens who had come off his bike, broken his knee (it was horrific ) he couldn’t walk or stand up, ambulance called. 7 hour wait. It was 7pm and he was in a park
    Welsh ambulance service not fit for purpose (still). I and the 3 people I was with, got him up and took him to the Heath instead

Pretty sure we probably damaged his knee more as we had no brace or crutches etc