+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1.5 million people

Re: 1.5 million people

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    Of course all those things can be true but there is a limit at which it seriously impacts upon services, house prices and the like. The link between wages and house prices completely breaks when inflation soared in the early 2000s.

I'm glad you enjoyed the concert with refugees (who aren't typical immigrants of course) but I'll guarantee you did it from a position of being a homeowner and relatively sheltered from some of the more negative impacts of such high numbers.

It's unsustainable. We can't keep up. You can't fund, plan and build the services needed to keep up with that level of increase in population. That's a reality irrespective of the govt.

A lot of people placing faith in Labour may well be in for a rude awakening I'm afraid.
    *When immigration soared* not inflation.

You are alright jack, aren't you?!

Where did I mention boats? Do students and Ukrainians not use public services?

These are absolute unprecedent figures. Last two years are three times the previous norms, which are themselves about five times the norm when most of us were growing up.

ATake some responsibility ffs.
    You need to direct that to your conservative government

*When immigration soared* not inflation.
    Why are labour in government going to give those who vote Labour a rude awakening when it comes to immigration ?

Who has screwed things up for 14 years ?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    So I take it you wish to drastically cut the number of foreign students coming into the UK?
    I would, yep.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Any reason, and I presume you'd be happy with the problems that would cause our universities?
    As someone who works for a university, I'm very keen to hear an answer to that question.

Quote Originally Posted by stevo View Post
    As someone who works for a university, I'm very keen to hear an answer to that question.
    Fundamentally I think universities have lost their raison d'etre, which is to educate, inform, inspire etc the future generations of this country, primarily. I think with hindsight it was a mistake changing poytechnics to universities, as they provided vital skills to primarily local people and helped with upskilling people for jobs etc. It's no great surprise that a decade or two after they closed we suddenly don't have the skills in many typically working class industries and have to rely on others.

For our traditional universities, I think they have grown too large, become too dominant in local cities, creating significant distortion in housing markets, whilst financially becoming dependent on foreign students (understandably given the fees) which is a pretty unsustainable model in the long term, which I think is happening now.

So yeah, id rather see the purpose of universities change, and whilst I don't wish any to close, I think it's likely as the model is unsustainable

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    It makes me laugh

The Tories are saying Labour don't care about illegal immigration

The figures released today are on the Conservative watch

Ending migration to wealthier western countries will never be completely stopped , the best to hope for is better management
    If you want mass immigration vote Labour - they started it all off "go get them from anywhere" TB
    If you want mass immigration vote Conservative - they continued to let it happen. Possibly if the Rwanda transfers start to happen - then it may stop. We saw it have an affect when the Irish border (ironically) got clogged up.
    Lib Dems - would be even worse. In fact Govts all over Europe have failed. But some are now starting to sort it out - possibly.

Most Labour types are too scared to mention immigration, conservatives are slightly less embarrassed. Anyone else that calls it out gets labelled a racist.

Tony Blair (I am no fan) at CBI from 20 years ago:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...olicy.speeches

Interesting to see the numbers, the tone, the issues and the arguments from 20 years ago.

20 years of weak and ineffective government!

I was looking for the 'go get them from anywhere' quote, but missed it.

Fundamentally I think universities have lost their raison d'etre, which is to educate, inform, inspire etc the future generations of this country, primarily. I think with hindsight it was a mistake changing poytechnics to universities, as they provided vital skills to primarily local people and helped with upskilling people for jobs etc. It's no great surprise that a decade or two after they closed we suddenly don't have the skills in many typically working class industries and have to rely on others.

For our traditional universities, I think they have grown too large, become too dominant in local cities, creating significant distortion in housing markets, whilst financially becoming dependent on foreign students (understandably given the fees) which is a pretty unsustainable model in the long term, which I think is happening now.

So yeah, id rather see the purpose of universities change, and whilst I don't wish any to close, I think it's likely as the model is unsustainable
    I agree with you on the polytechnics. We can blame the Tories for that one.

And you're right too that universities have become too dependant on income from foreign students. So, what's the answer? Substantially increase student fees?

The purpose of universities is still to educate, inform, inspire, etc. but interdisciplinarity is key, so working on the global stage is essential and the way forward. We need to reach out and collaborate, not sever ties. Brexit really is a backwards step.