+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vincent Kompany

Re: Vincent Kompany

Quote Originally Posted by superfeathers View Post
    Using this logic should every lower level manager have a crack at a top four club?

Maybe managers should start off at the top and work their way down instead
    Vincent Kompany is not an everyday football person, he has a stellar CV as a player, both in the Premier League and at international level. He went back to his hometown club as player-manager, before moving to Burnley where he got promotion at the first attempt. After a season in the Premier League with limited players, he now wants to have a crack at a bigger club. It seems like an obvious career move that would have been carefully planned, and there's no way he would be going backwards with another season in the Championship.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    It's said about players as well. I'm ****ed if i get the logic. I'm an average every day plasterer, by the logic used i should be carrying out ceiling repairs on the Sistine Chapel. (I don't think)
    That's quite a tragic analogy

At the moment, Kompany is in danger of joining the Lampard, Gerrard and Rooney school of management where you keep on getting manager jobs because of what you did as a player. To be fair to Gerrard, he did manage Rangers to an unbeaten title winning season and Kompany did win what is widely regarded as the weakest Championship in ages, but not one of the four have earned the right to take charge of clubs like Bayern, Villa, Chelsea and Birmingham so early in their management careers.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    At the moment, Kompany is in danger of joining the Lampard, Gerrard and Rooney school of management where you keep on getting manager jobs because of what you did as a player. To be fair to Gerrard, he did manage Rangers to an unbeaten title winning season and Kompany did win what is widely regarded as the weakest Championship in ages, but not one of the four have earned the right to take charge of clubs like Bayern, Villa, Chelsea and Birmingham so early in their management careers.
    I agree with that, but there will always be a pool of players that the big clubs are willing to take a chance on because of their on-field exploits, and he one of them. He was a great player with good leadership skills, and he played under one of the worlds best coaches, so I can understand the attraction. Bayern Munich weren't dominant last season, and they finished 18 points behind the champions, so they will see this as a gamble worth taking. Personally, I like these sink or swim scenarios, and a few former former elite players have come out on top in the past.

It's said about players as well. I'm ****ed if i get the logic. I'm an average every day plasterer, by the logic used i should be carrying out ceiling repairs on the Sistine Chapel. (I don't think)
    Michaelangelo's work would have been replaced by Artex had the SistineChapel been built in the 70s.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Michaelangelo's work would have been replaced by Artex had the SistineChapel been built in the 70s.
    Virtual reality in the 2020's.

Anyway, the crux of the matter is which scenario would you choose when it came to renovating the Sistine Chapel?

A) Tuerto telling Michelangelo how it should be done.
    B) Michelangelo telling Tuerto how it should be done.
    C) I failed at painting by numbers, and I've never been up that high before.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Timber Decking around the Colosseum.

I see Bellamy isn't joining him, the old romantic in me would love to see Bellamy manager of Cardiff.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus_Mills View Post
    I see Bellamy isn't joining him, the old romantic in me would love to see Bellamy manager of Cardiff.
    Me too.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus_Mills View Post
    Same.

But is there any difference between Kompany being out of his depth at Bayern and Bellamy being out of his depth here?

He must have the same agent as Eric Maxim Choupo-Moting

Pep had a year at Barca B.

Look at him now.

They don't all have to start off at bloody Accrington or Halifax to earn their stripes ffs.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    Anyway, the crux of the matter is which scenario would you choose when it came to renovating the Sistine Chapel?

A) Tuerto telling Michelangelo how it should be done.
    B) Michelangelo telling Tuerto how it should be done.
    C) I failed at painting by numbers, and I've never been up that high before.
    I would choose your good self in order to instruct Michelangelo. There's nothing you don't know and you're very talented.

I would choose your good self in order to instruct Michelangelo. There's nothing you don't know and you're very talented.
    I did take art at school as I though it would be a dodge, but then found out it came with history of art lessons, and those classes were delivered during the lunchbreak! Homework was horrendous too, and I had to write loads of essays. On balance it was worth it, as it got me into music/photography, etc., but my best subject was maths and I always aced the exams with 90% plus.

I did take art at school as I though it would be a dodge, but then found out it came with history of art lessons, and those classes were delivered during the lunchbreak! Homework was horrendous too, and I had to write loads of essays. On balance it was worth it, as it got me into music/photography, etc., but my best subject was maths and I always aced the exams with 90% plus.
    I was awful at Art, absolutely shocking. I still took it as an option though, for the same reasons as you.

Couldn't help have a little chuckle at your "... aced the exams with 90% plus".
    Even 95% at maths is considered 'Needs to do better' here in China.
    I'm not knocking your prowess by the way (I had a GCSE 4 in maths! ).
    Just that many Asian countries set the bar high, particularly for maths.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    Couldn't help have a little chuckle at your "... aced the exams with 90% plus".
    Even 95% at maths is considered 'Needs to do better' here in China.
    I'm not knocking your prowess by the way (I had a GCSE 4 in maths! ).
    Just that many Asian countries set the bar high, particularly for maths.
    i should have added "without trying too hard" It got me into uni though, but my real true love was being out on the football pitch at every opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Couldn't help smiling seeing Birmingham put up there with Bayern, Chelsea and Villa

International

Quote Originally Posted by FormerlyJohnnyBreadhead View Post
    I don't think it's that strange. The Bayern hierarchy want their team to play a certain way, and Kompany is a manager that fits that mold. They've obviously realised that it could work for them as they have the players to play that way, unlike Burnley.

Of course, you could argue Kompany should have realised that and been more pragmatic, but philosophy and ideals are obviously more prominent in the modern game. If he ends up at Bayern, he'll have been proved right.

Bear in mind, too, that Bayern have already been turned down by their first three choices, and they only hire German-speaking managers. That limits their pool somewhat.
    Thats a good take on it, I didn't know that

Still sounds like a hell of a risk, especially with that league suddenly getting a little more competitive, it will be interesting to see how he does?