+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Man U scrape into Europe

Man U scrape into Europe

Never mind Ten Haag getting the push, should it not be Eddie Howe?

United's victory means no European football next season for the toon having had a pretty decent start with a pretty decent squad, they fell off a cliff.

Re: Man U scrape into Europe

It effects Chelsea as well I think . ???

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    It effects Chelsea as well I think . ???
    Yes, they now drop to the Europa Conference (the mini mouse cup)

Tuerto 2 Michelangelo 1, a great win for the underdog

Winning the FA Cup does not constitute scraping into Europe. Many teams have enjoyed European glory on the back of winning their domestic cup. West Ham, Rangers and, err… Cardiff City. See also Wrexham, Newport and Merthyr. Also Spurs, Everton, Barcelona and Juventus. United deserve their Euro spot just like Connahs Quay.

Man City were stultifyingly boring.

Quote Originally Posted by Pontprennau Bluebird View Post
    Winning the FA Cup does not constitute scraping into Europe. Many teams have enjoyed European glory on the back of winning their domestic cup. West Ham, Rangers and, err… Cardiff City. See also Wrexham, Newport and Merthyr. Also Spurs, Everton, Barcelona and Juventus. United deserve their Euro spot just like Connahs Quay.
    I think you might be missing the point.

Losing against one of the top 2 or 3 sides in Europe and red hot favourites for the cup Manchester City with all their billions and super duper stars was a near certainty.

MU, one of the major forces in European football for three decades, after a (by their own standards) dreadful season finishing well behind Newcastle and Chelsea looked well and truly doomed with the prospect of European football seeming let's say highly unlikely.
    In many people's eyes, including their own fans', the season was a complete shambles. So much so, their popular manager of only a year ago was (is?) being shown the door weeks ago.

Talk about pulling a rabbit out of the hat!

Personally I think "scraping into Europe" is pretty accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    That league run-in must have taken it's toll on many of their players, they looked knackered mentally and physically.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    I understood the Man U tactics but it seems mad that an expensive, talented team like that would drop everyone behind the ball and just wait for a mistake or chance. It's not much of a spectacle all round so I switched off and did something else but I heard Doku make a difference when he came on and is less the metronome type. Ah well, roll on the charity shield between... oh.

They only scraped into the final by a toenail !

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebirdman Of Alcathays View Post
    I understood the Man U tactics but it seems mad that an expensive, talented team like that would drop everyone behind the ball and just wait for a mistake or chance. It's not much of a spectacle all round so I switched off and did something else but I heard Doku make a difference when he came on and is less the metronome type. Ah well, roll on the charity shield between... oh.
    Agreed.