+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: "Science is not perfect but it trumps faith and belief all the time" - true or false?

Re: "Science is not perfect but it trumps faith and belief all the time" - true or false?

[QUOTE=truthpaste;5513606]
    Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post

An interesting paraphrase.

Human reasoning never really changes.......written just over 3000 years ago:-

From Psalm 14:-

1 Only fools say in their hearts,
    “There is no God.”
    They are corrupt, and their actions are evil;
    not one of them does good!
    2 The Lord looks down from heaven
    on the entire human race;
    he looks to see if anyone is truly wise,
    if anyone seeks God.
    3 But no, all have turned away;
    all have become corrupt.
    No one does good,
    not a single one!
    4 Will those who do evil never learn?
    They eat up my people like bread
    and wouldn’t think of praying to the Lord.
    5 Terror will grip them,
    for God is with those who obey him.
    6 The wicked frustrate the plans of the oppressed,
    but the Lord will protect his people.

Words of a crazy person.

Re: "Science is not perfect but it trumps faith and belief all the time" - true or false?

[QUOTE=jeepster;5513676]
    Quote Originally Posted by truthpaste View Post

Words of a crazy person.
    Sounds like a Trump speech.

[QUOTE=SLUDGE FACTORY;5513672]

You hope !

Facts please
    Facts eh!

You were given an archaeological fact re King David, and what did you do? Completely ignore it.

You've been given two short (15m) documentaries and a movie with more than enough facts from history & science to provide the answers you say you are seeking, and what do you do?

Run for the hills!

You have the worst case of denial I've witnessed in quite a while.

[QUOTE=truthpaste;5513681]
    Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post

Facts eh!

You were given an archaeological fact re King David, and what did you do? Completely ignore it.

You've been given two short (15m) documentaries and a movie with more than enough facts from history & science to provide the answers you say you are seeking, and what do you do?

Run for the hills!

You have the worst case of denial I've witnessed in quite a while.
    This is nonsense

If the rubbish you have attempted to suggest is evidence it would be taught in schools

Show me photos of God, the voice of God, miracles actually filmed as they happen

Actual physical evidence that stands up not he said she said

Now , here , in the present

[QUOTE=SLUDGE FACTORY;5513695]

This is nonsense

If the rubbish you have attempted to suggest is evidence it would be taught in schools

Show me photos of God, the voice of God, miracles actually filmed as they happen

Actual physical evidence that stands up not he said she said

Now , here , in the present
    Sludge all he will do is a quote from the book of wisdom.
    A crock of crap.

[QUOTE=jeepster;5513707]

Sludge all he will do is a quote from the book of wisdom.
    A crock of crap.
    Man United won the fa Cup today

They beat Man City

100000 people saw it and millions worldwide

Loads of witnesses to a factual event

That's the sort of thing I am after

[QUOTE=SLUDGE FACTORY;5513717]
    Quote Originally Posted by jeepster View Post

Man United won the fa Cup today

They beat Man City

100000 people saw it and millions worldwide

Loads of witnesses to a factual event

That's the sort of thing I am after
    In fact you are after affirmation of your current position. Newsflash! You will never get it.

Here is a drive-thru sized clip > 4 Proofs < to give you an idea of the details you have to extinguish to arrive at your chosen position.

As Gofer alluded, the facts could slap you across the face like a wet fish, and you still wouldn't sniff anything

I am not an Islamist

And the Muslims I know have not shot me yet
    have the Christians shot you yet? do you tell your muslim chums their religion is gobshyte ?

Quote Originally Posted by + the native hipster View Post
    have the Christians shot you yet? do you tell your muslim chums their religion is gobshyte ?
    Yep

It's all nonsense

[QUOTE=truthpaste;5513723]

In fact you are after affirmation of your current position. Newsflash! You will never get it.

Here is a drive-thru sized clip > 4 Proofs < to give you an idea of the details you have to extinguish to arrive at your chosen position.

As Gofer alluded, the facts could slap you across the face like a wet fish, and you still wouldn't sniff anything
    Facts and evidence please

[QUOTE=SLUDGE FACTORY;5513732]

Facts and evidence please
    Your own line arrives after 40 seconds.....blindfold productions

[QUOTE=truthpaste;5513723]

There was no postmortem
    eyewitness accounts can not be trusted
    people tell lies
    So no proof.

[QUOTE=truthpaste;5513733]

Your own line arrives after 40 seconds.....blindfold productions
    This is a film

Evidence please

No books , quotes , rumours , stories handed down

[QUOTE=jeepster;5513741]

There was no postmortem
    eyewitness accounts can not be trusted
    people tell lies
    So no proof.
    He's babbling on about evidence......just stories ...2000 years old

It's 2024

If God exists , if he's omnipresent and all powerful then it's going to be easy for him to prove that to us all

And not rely on his Christian army to prove it to us .... many of whom find God when they are desperate and vulnerable

[QUOTE=SLUDGE FACTORY;5513750]
    Quote Originally Posted by jeepster View Post

He's babbling on about evidence......just stories ...2000 years old

It's 2024

If God exists , if he's omnipresent and all powerful then it's going to be easy for him to prove that to us all

And not rely on his Christian army to prove it to us .... many of whom find God when they are desperate and vulnerable
    1. Even though your comment was the reason for this thread, it currently seems pointless providing you with any further responses.
    2. At 8am this morning you had posted the latest comment on no less than 19 conversations on the first three pages on this board; for the sake of participants on the other 18 then I hope you are actually engaged in some capacity in those, because on this one you are all mouth and no trousers, paying no attention to anything that doesn't agree with your artificial world view.
    3. When you are serious, sober and no longer deliberately 'deaf' in this type of dialogue, then start a new thread and I will address you in it, but if you haven't upgraded to two way dialogue by that time then don't waste your time and mine.
    4. This thread will go on for those who have respected the need for two-way communication and others who may be just munching popcorn.

[QUOTE=truthpaste;5513760]

1. Even though your comment was the reason for this thread, it currently seems pointless providing you with any further responses.
    2. At 8am this morning you had posted the latest comment on no less than 19 conversations on the first three pages on this board; for the sake of participants on the other 18 then I hope you are actually engaged in some capacity in those, because on this one you are all mouth and no trousers, paying no attention to anything that doesn't agree with your artificial world view.
    3. When you are serious, sober and no longer deliberately 'deaf' in this type of dialogue, then start a new thread and I will address you in it, but if you haven't upgraded to two way dialogue by that time then don't waste your time and mine.
    4. This thread will go on for those who have respected the need for two-way communication and others who may be just munching popcorn.
    Artifical world view

😂

Says the man who thinks God is everywhere , all the time , can do anything and whose son still lives 2000 years after died

I will stay in my world thanks and leave you to it

When you find the evidence to prove God exists then let me know

22a.jpg

Science slowly catches up; unfortunately still can't:-

1. Explain for certain how life began.
    2. Explain for certain how the Universe came to be.
    3. Explain WHY we are here.

22a.jpg

The image is too blurred to read.

608b14f25ca123bf13cb5d69c45662bf.jpg

The same version of an easier to read table than above.

Comparing Science & the Bible NOW & 2000+ years ago.

*Tip, if you dig into the verses, use a reference like Blue Letter Bible to see the full meaning of the original Hebrew/ Greek words.

*Tip, if you dig into the verses, use a reference like Blue Letter Bible to see the full meaning of the original Hebrew/ Greek words.
    Still not convinced sorry.
    Atleast i did read it.

Wish I hadn't bothered, but I looked at the first one.

Isaiah 40:22 talks about a circle not a sphere.

God sits above the circle of the earth. The people below seem like grasshoppers to him! He spreads out the heavens like a curtain and makes his tent from them.

Like Discworld!

Claiming the bible agrees with Terry Pratchett (not scientists) is taking you further into the pit of magical gibberish than before!

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Wish I hadn't bothered, but I looked at the first one.

Isaiah 40:22 talks about a circle not a sphere.

God sits above the circle of the earth. The people below seem like grasshoppers to him! He spreads out the heavens like a curtain and makes his tent from them.

Like Discworld!

Claiming the bible agrees with Terry Pratchett (not scientists) is taking you further into the pit of magical gibberish than before!
    The sphere has four corners according to Revelation!

I saw four angels standing at the four corners of the earth, holding the four winds of the earth, that the wind should not blow on the earth, on the sea, or on any tree.

I'm also interested to know when science thought the world was travelling on a big animal...

22a.jpg

No what you have done , again , is swerve

I don't want to discuss with you the ultimate creation until you have dealt with the evidence I have asked for

Why , how etc......

You don't prove the existence of God by failing to provide , when asked , evidence of his existence and deflecting to who was the ultimate creator

Leave that

Give me evidence of the existence of God, here , now

If I have more nonsense that's it from me

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    The sphere has four corners according to Revelation!

I saw four angels standing at the four corners of the earth, holding the four winds of the earth, that the wind should not blow on the earth, on the sea, or on any tree.

I'm also interested to know when science thought the world was travelling on a big animal...
    Some interesting points from yourself and Jon, language and perception changes re the human authors, even over a few decades, words like 'wicked', 'gay', 'safe' etc can mean something very different to what they did when I was born.

But with Isaiah, we are looking at around 280 decades ago!

This article addresses a few points on this:-

The reference to the “circle of the earth” in Isaiah 40:22 is the source of much speculation. Some see this phrase as evidence that God revealed to ancient Israel something of the physical layout of the universe long before anyone had discovered that the earth was round. Later, as scientific discoveries were made, the Bible was shown to be incredibly correct, recording truth that only God could have known. According to this view, the Scripture is demonstrated to have a divine origin by revealing “scientific secrets” before they were commonly known.

The Bible speaks of the rising and setting of the sun (as do we), but it is simply the language of appearance and not intended to communicate scientific accuracy (see Psalm 113:3.) The Bible also speaks of the “four corners of the earth,” yet no one thinks that the Bible is teaching that the earth is square (see Isaiah 11:12). Proverbs 30:4 speaks of the “ends of the earth,” an expression we still use today to refer to the remotest extremes. The problem with the “scientific secrets” approach is that it reads scientific precision into certain passages that seem to fit our modern scientific concepts while ascribing phenomenological language (language of appearance) or metaphor to those passages that do not. To be consistent, it would seem that all such passages should either be interpreted literally or metaphorically. If they are all interpreted literally, then there would be far more scientific inaccuracies than accuracies or “scientific secrets.” If they are all interpreted metaphorically or phenomenologically, then each of the passages would still make sense in its original context. Isaiah 40:22, with its reference to the “circle of the earth,” is just one example.

The first point to understand regarding the “circle” is that the word (Hebrew root chug) does not mean “sphere” but rather refers to a circle or sometimes a dome. A circle is flat like a disc or a dinner plate. Those who hold to the “scientific secrets” approach often think “sphere” when they hear “circle.” In the Old Testament, the word is used once as a verb in Job 26:10: “He has inscribed a circle on the face of the waters at the boundary between light and darkness” (ESV). If one looks at the earth from space, there is indeed a circular boundary between light and darkness. However, the NIV captures more of the original intent and avoids the use of the word circle altogether: “He marks out the horizon on the face of the waters for a boundary between light and darkness.” If one is looking out at the sea, the horizon does appear to be circular.

The same Hebrew word is used three times in the Bible as a noun. In Job 22:14, God is described as walking in the “circuit of heaven” (KJV). Most modern translations translate it as “the vault of heaven.” If taken literally, this verse would be scientifically inaccurate because there is no vault over the earth. The universe goes out billions of miles in all directions, but, in staring up at the sky on a starry night, we do see the sky as a circular dome overhead with definite boundaries. In Proverbs 8:27, “Wisdom” says, “When he established the heavens, I was there; when he drew a circle on the face of the deep” (ESV). The NIV translation communicates the meaning of “drawing a circle on the face of the deep”: “I was there when he set the heavens in place, when he marked out the horizon on the face of the deep.” There is no “circle” drawn on the sea, but there is a horizon that has a circular appearance as one looks out on the sea.

Isaiah 40:22 says, “He sits enthroned above the circle of the earth, and its people are like grasshoppers. He stretches out the heavens like a canopy, and spreads them out like a tent to live in.” Even if “circle of the earth” is taken literally in this verse, it does not say that the earth is a sphere. Actually, it does not even say that the earth is a circle. The “circle of the earth” seems to refer to the heavens that appear to be a circular dome overhead. The parallelism of Hebrew poetry would indicate that the “circle of the earth” is the same as the “canopy” being stretched out. The heavens are pictured as a tent for the multitudes of earth to live in.

In Isaiah 44:13 a variant of the word is translated in the ESV as “compass”: “The [human] carpenter stretches a line; he marks it out with a pencil. He shapes it with planes and marks it with a compass. He shapes it into the figure of a man, with the beauty of a man, to dwell in a house.” Here, the compass is an instrument used for drawing a circle, and such instruments are still in use today.

The word circle was an apt way to describe the horizon and the heavens overhead. The horizon goes out in all directions, and the sky overhead seems to meet it, forming a circular dome. This is purely the language of appearance.

So if we are also to believe that science was saying this in the same era (it wasn't), then wouldn't your same rule of language also apply?