+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bring back National Service...

Bring back National Service...

...from a man whose missus didn’t pay tax to the UK and also held a green card for the USA so he can scuttle off if needed.

Is it me or does anyone else think Sunak has no intention of winning this election?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cpddxy9r4mdo

Re: Bring back National Service...

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    ...from a man whose missus didn’t pay tax to the UK and also held a green card for the USA so he can scuttle off if needed.

Is it me or does anyone else think Sunak has no intention of winning this election?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cpddxy9r4mdo
    We are going to reduce proper troop numbers and send lots of youngsters to their certain deaths

Pretty common across the beloved EU.

What's wrong with service? Don't we all believe in society?

Good idea I think.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post

Good idea I think.
    I am not a fan of volunteering younger generations to do things that I wasn't expected to do.

What happen when invariably some young people just say '**** off'? The spectator article touches upon this very point.

There are also questions of practicality. Would the government arrest those that don’t comply? In the internal briefing Q and A, this is one of the questions – the suggestion is that there will be an incentives regime but they do not rule out the prospect

Is that what his plan was, to increase defence spending, all along? Not new types of weapon systems, but putting kids through National Service for a year?
    Bet he's disappointed that he's running again, as it would be much easier for him to not stand, and bugger off like many others.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Is that what his plan was, to increase defence spending, all along? Not new types of weapon systems, but putting kids through National Service for a year?
    No this is from another branch of the magic money tree.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post

Good idea I think.
    I’d prefer that some of the reported £2.5 billion per year needed to send my kids on someone else’s jolly was used to perhaps keep youth clubs open in the UK so some kids have these opportunities within society. If they got £2.5 billion a year to spunk how about helping out with some apprenticeships or education etc.

I wonder how many kids attending Eaton and Harrow get conscripted?

If you ask me this is the strongest evidence yet that rishi really, really doesn’t want to win this election. Strange

Real desperation stuff. Will appeal to old right wingers and those who blame everything on the youth of today or immigrants.

A nation's armed services are best served by enthusiastic volunteers who seek longer term training and expertise rather than drafting in disaffected individuals on a short-term basis and who may baulk at their own government's questionable military activities in some parts of the world.

I wonder how long this cunning plan has been in the works?

How much time has gone into working it through, costing it, and testing the assumptions?

It sounds as if it is something that just popped into Sunak's head that morning.

Something that might get a few days positive headlines from the brain dead at the Express - then die as it deserves.

It's bizarre. Pretty much ensures no votes from the younger electorate, even had they been inclined to vote Tory beforehand.

Our country doesn’t need a large military. We need a skilled one. We’re an island surrounded by allies. In the extremely unlikely event we get invaded, having 1 trained pilot or navy gunner will be worth more than 1000 young lads with rifles lined up on the cliffs of Dover who would rather be anywhere else.

As for weekend volunteering, I used to do that as part of DofE through my local youth centre. That, and several others near me, closed down years ago due to lack of funds. Shame that.

This should have been introduced years ago, starting with any politicians kids. However they are talking about cyber security and things like that rather picking up a gun

Quote Originally Posted by pipster View Post
    This should have been introduced years ago, starting with any politicians kids. However they are talking about cyber security and things like that rather picking up a gun
    You just know the selection process for anything remotely useful or interesting will be completely corrupt. Rich kids/kids with connections will either get the cushy roles or pay the fine and poorer kids will be slave labour doing mundane shit that doesnt help them in the slightest.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    You just know the selection process for anything remotely useful or interesting will be completely corrupt. Rich kids/kids with connections will either get the cushy roles or pay the fine and poorer kids will be slave labour doing mundane shit that doesnt help them in the slightest.
    Check out Cyber Wales - they help ex squaddies convert their comms skills into cyber ones and find them jobs. Surname, status, Dad's job are of no relevance. What does matter is attitude and if you think differently - ie neuro divergent - which is usually people on the spectrum that people used to call thick. These people are now actively sought out for comp sec work.

Check out Cyber Wales - they help ex squaddies convert their comms skills into cyber ones and find them jobs. Surname, status, Dad's job are of no relevance. What does matter is attitude and if you think differently - ie neuro divergent - which is usually people on the spectrum that people used to call thick. These people are now actively sought out for comp sec work.
    Wonderful, good scheme but of no relevance whatsoever to this discussion because of size/nature of it.

There will be limited places in the more interesting/useful roles and I do not think that the sons and daughters of wealthy/powerful people will be wiping arses in the local hospital.

cyber wales is yes (your right) just for cyber work in Wales. There are similar clusters all over the UK and NI.
    How do you actually know kids or their parents wont want this for their kids - a bit of humility , giving something back etc
    Sounds to me like you are perhaps one of those parents that thinks their kids wont be wiping arses in the local hospital. So Im not sure whether you are for or against it - which is it ?

Quote Originally Posted by Robin Friday's Ghost View Post
    It's bizarre. Pretty much ensures no votes from the younger electorate, even had they been inclined to vote Tory beforehand.
    Yep it’s almost as if they are doing all they can to lose? What a turnaround from last time when Labour did the worst they ever have?
    Def time for a change….this country has plummeted in the last 15 years.

cyber wales is yes (your right) just for cyber work in Wales. There are similar clusters all over the UK and NI.
    How do you actually know kids or their parents wont want this for their kids - a bit of humility , giving something back etc
    Sounds to me like you are perhaps one of those parents that thinks their kids wont be wiping arses in the local hospital. So Im not sure whether you are for or against it - which is it ?
    They can already encourage that and should be.. This scheme makes it mandatory. Are you against freedom and personal choice of adults? It is worth remembering that we are talking about adults here, what their parents want is largely irrelevant but that doesn't mean parents won't be using their connections to get them a cushy route through it.

One of the best ways to contribute to society and your local community is to forge a career in public service in for example health or education. Unfortunately wider economic conditions, house prices and wages make this very difficult in certain parts of the country.

The gall of this.

On call fire fighting, special constables, emergency health responder, just some of the roles unpaid teenagers would be doing.

Just another way to cut public spending to help billionaires keep more of their money.

it's a gimmick and volunteery.
    We need a professional army.
    Look what happened to Russia's conscripts.Slaughtered in their 1000s.

It’s Cameron’s Big Society again,but more stupid from the Government point of view. The Big Society would have been dirt cheap to administer if it had worked, this is costing £2.5 billion, at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Doucas View Post
    The gall of this.

On call fire fighting, special constables, emergency health responder, just some of the roles unpaid teenagers would be doing.

Just another way to cut public spending to help billionaires keep more of their money.
    Where did you see that they would be doing any of the tasks you mention?

Well it should at least wake up the youngsters who don’t vote. Another pie in the sky idea from a spent government. It will also go down well in the north as its levelling up money to be used. Oh and they have now discovered there are people not paying tax, their own donors. Is there anyone apart from the Daily Heil mob who will appreciate this farce?