+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bring back National Service...

Re: Bring back National Service...

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood Blues View Post
    Where did you see that they would be doing any of the tasks you mention?
    There is little debate to be had with Mr D - he will conflate anything to suit his political opinion (he likes to be outraged...it's his thing) , it usually goes back to Thatcher's fault, you'll get the same the 'factory'.

Quote Originally Posted by pipster View Post
    There is little debate to be had with Mr D - he will conflate anything to suit his political opinion (he likes to be outraged...it's his thing) , it usually goes back to Thatcher's fault, you'll get the same the 'factory'.
    Your teenager, the one heading off to Blackpool away with his mates last year ,would be in the frame in a couple of years. Have you discussed this latest wheeze with him and what does he think?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Blue View Post
    Well it should at least wake up the youngsters who don’t vote. Another pie in the sky idea from a spent government. It will also go down well in the north as its levelling up money to be used. Oh and they have now discovered there are people not paying tax, their own donors. Is there anyone apart from the Daily Heil mob who will appreciate this farce?
    It's an idiotic idea and I agree if it doesn't boot the sixth form students out of bed on election day then nothing will

cyber wales is yes (your right) just for cyber work in Wales. There are similar clusters all over the UK and NI.
    How do you actually know kids or their parents wont want this for their kids - a bit of humility , giving something back etc
    Sounds to me like you are perhaps one of those parents that thinks their kids wont be wiping arses in the local hospital. So Im not sure whether you are for or against it - which is it ?
    Do you want your son doing national service ?

Does he ?

I’m not aware of what happened in the 1950’s, although James Cleverly this morning says it is not that type of National Service. What happens to those 17/18 year olds who have managed to get employment, or a college/university place? Will their job be kept open, and could employers be reticent to employ 17 year olds knowing they’re going to lose them when they’re 18? If their university degree course is delayed by a year, similarly will their place be kept. Graduates would then have their hoped for earnings delayed by a year. What would the impact of the latter have on the property market and even inflation? They’ve not really thought this through have they…

Kids have just spent 13+ years in compulsory education, preparing them for the a working life. Many do voluntary work in 6th form, or join a cadet force if they're interested in the military. What's to be gained by delaying kids joining the big wide world?

It's bollocks

It's about desperately trying to cling on to the right wing vote

Immigrants , benefits , lazy youngsters

Maybe they can get Argentina to invade the Falklands again

That certainly saved thatchers arse

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    It's bollocks

It's about desperately trying to cling on to the right wing vote

Immigrants , benefits , lazy youngsters

Maybe they can get Argentina to invade the Falklands again

That certainly saved thatchers arse
    Sludge - its bollox, the election is over, you mention Argentina - Im sure Sir Keir will find his 'Iraq'. As for your alter ego Dorcus - my son will be doing A levels in comp sec, it's a module on the course, as is red teaming (look it up).

That policy is to get the red trouser brigade out and vote - great idea - wont affect the result

Dorcus - already spoke to my son about it - thanks, we are of the same opinion, yeah he would do service. But Im sure as you know - these days cyber is where it's at, cozy bear is the go to of choice in terms of technique (go look him up as well)
    sleep well

Sludge - its bollox, the election is over, you mention Argentina - Im sure Sir Keir will find his 'Iraq'. As for your alter ego Dorcus - my son will be doing A levels in comp sec, it's a module on the course, as is red teaming (look it up).

That policy is to get the red trouser brigade out and vote - great idea - wont affect the result

Dorcus - already spoke to my son about it - thanks, we are of the same opinion, yeah he would do service. But Im sure as you know - these days cyber is where it's at, cozy bear is the go to of choice in terms of technique (go look him up as well)
    sleep well
    Think you mean Doucas.

Good to see that they are all on message on this well planned initiative.

From today's Guardian

The pledge was launched just two days after the defence minister Andrew Murrison said that the government had no plans for national service in “any form” because it would do more harm than good.

In an answer to a written parliamentary question, Murrison said placing “potentially unwilling” recruits with professional soldiers “could damage morale, recruitment and retention and would consume professional military and naval resources”.

He added that if, on the other hand, temporary recruits were kept separate “it would be difficult to find a proper and meaningful role for them, potentially harming motivation and discipline”.

Usual dismissive comments here.

I don't see what is so wrong with it? It is common in many countries and could be a great way to provide training and meaning for many young people who in my experience are struggling in many cases with feeling valued, part of a community, and might welcome the opportunity to upskill etc

Many here would turn their nose up at the Duke of Edinburgh awards no doubt (posh royalists patronising working class kids blah blah blah).

It's an election gimmick, for sure, most of what both parties are saying at the moment is, but it's not a bad idea in principle at all.

The irony is, I bet a lot of the people moaning would gladly see the benefit of training and experience for their own kids, they just don't seem to want it for others?

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post

I don't see what is so wrong with it? It is common in many countries and could be a great way to provide training and meaning for many young people who in my experience are struggling in many cases with feeling valued, part of a community, and might welcome the opportunity to upskill etc

Many here would turn their nose up at the Duke of Edinburgh awards no doubt (posh royalists patronising working class kids blah blah blah).

It's an election gimmick, for sure, most of what both parties are saying at the moment is, but it's not a bad idea in principle at all.

The irony is, I bet a lot of the people moaning would gladly see the benefit of training and experience for their own kids, they just don't seem to want it for others?
    The broader point for me is that what we seem to be seeing so far is Sunak surrounding himself with an inner circle of advisors because he may distrust a wider spectrum of opinion and challenge (and potential leaking) within the wider party.

So we get rabbits coming out of hats that are wrong footing a broader section of the party. It happened with the announcement of the election date and now this. I can't give an alternative explanation for a Defence Minister dissing National Service so starkly in a Parliamentary answer a few days before a "flagship" policy proposing the same is revealed to the world.

Manifesto commitments for all parties will come under unyielding scrutiny from the opposition and the media in the coming weeks. If the National Service policy, which may or may not be a good idea suffers because of the way it was constructed and the speed with which it was brought forward due to an accelerated election timetable then Sunak will only have himself and the inner circle to blame.

Do you disagree with the Tories over anything?

Quote Originally Posted by stevo View Post
    Do you disagree with the Tories over anything?
    Loads. But not really on this. And I am certainly open minded to hearing more about it

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    The broader point for me is that what we seem to be seeing so far is Sunak surrounding himself with an inner circle of advisors because he may distrust a wider spectrum of opinion and challenge (and potential leaking) within the wider party.

So we get rabbits coming out of hats that are wrong footing a broader section of the party. It happened with the announcement of the election date and now this. I can't give an alternative explanation for a Defence Minister dissing National Service so starkly in a Parliamentary answer a few days before a "flagship" policy proposing the same is revealed to the world.

Manifesto commitments for all parties will come under unyielding scrutiny from the opposition and the media in the coming weeks. If the National Service policy, which may or may not be a good idea suffers because of the way it was constructed and the speed with which it was brought forward due to an accelerated election timetable then Sunak will only have himself and the inner circle to blame.
    Don't disagree. But you've chosen to focus on the messaging there, and I would agree that it's all a bit chaotic across the board - again, on all sides - as they are all getting caught out and contradicting eachother.

I'm instead focusing on being fairly open minded on it, recognising that I think it would provide a great opportunity for many younger people and perhaps help to bring society together a little.

I think anything said in an election is typically Ill thought out and chaotic, but I do think in principle, depending how it was implemented, it's a good thing.

Don't disagree. But you've chosen to focus on the messaging there, and I would agree that it's all a bit chaotic across the board - again, on all sides - as they are all getting caught out and contradicting eachother.

I'm instead focusing on being fairly open minded on it, recognising that I think it would provide a great opportunity for many younger people and perhaps help to bring society together a little.

I think anything said in an election is typically I'll thought out and chaotic, but I do think in principle, depending how it was implemented, it's a good thing.
    I did focus on the messaging....well spotted!

I am also interested in the funding. 60% of the £2.5 billion a year supposedly to come from the Levelling Up fund, which I thought previously you were a major advocate of. I guess that was then this is now.

Given the polls this is unlikely to get off the ground but if it did wouldn't it result in a 1 year hiatus of people previously going directly into the jobs market being diverted to worthy causes?

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    I did focus on the messaging....well spotted!

I am also interested in the funding. 60% of the £2.5 billion a year supposedly to come from the Levelling Up fund, which I thought previously you were a major advocate of. I guess that was then this is now.

Given the polls this is unlikely to get off the ground but if it did wouldn't it result in a 1 year hiatus of people previously going directly into the jobs market being diverted to worthy causes?
    I am a big advocate of levelling up!

Re. Funding, I'd say that's another question that is a whole level of scrutiny we can apply to any policy mentioned. It's incredibly rare that there is a clear and undisputable funding source for any policy.

My general point is that the idea shouldn't be dismissed. I think it could be a great thing for young people.

Rest assured, this stuff happens. Schools now do fantastic trips to Africa and the like (and many other things!), building housing and forging cultural links. The problem is they are only open to the wealthy. I see no issue with opening up and formalising lots of training and community service for all young people. I think many would greatly benefit.

Re. Funding, I'd say that's another question that is a whole level of scrutiny we can apply to any policy mentioned. It's incredibly rare that there is a clear and undisputable funding source for any policy.

My general point is that the idea shouldn't be dismissed. I think it could be a great thing for young people.

Rest assured, this stuff happens. Schools now do fantastic trips to Africa and the like (and many other things!), building housing and forging cultural links. The problem is they are only open to the wealthy. I see no issue with opening up and formalising lots of training and community service for all young people. I think many would greatly benefit.
    Let's see if the Tories announce that they're planning to send our young men off to Africa to build houses and forge cultural links...

I think anything said in an election is typically Ill thought out and chaotic, but I do think in principle, depending how it was implemented, it's a good thing.
    If it's such a great opportunity to bring society together why isn't everyone expected to do it? Maybe mandatory national service wouldn't be such a vote winner if it directly affected people who get a vote?

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Let's see if the Tories announce that they're planning to send our young men off to Africa to build houses and forge cultural links...
    Given their track record in sending people to Africa under half-baked schemes I wouldn't hold your breath!

The Northern Ireland Minister, Steve Baker echoing the point I made earlier about the frailty of proposals made in secret conclave. In this instance its negative impact in Northern Ireland.

It’s a Conservative Party policy.

The Government’s policy was set out on Thursday

I don’t like to be pedantic but a Government policy would have been developed by ministers on the advice of officials and collectively agreed. I would have had a say on behalf of NI.

But this proposal was developed by a political adviser or advisers and sprung on candidates, some of whom are relevant ministers.

Again from The Guardian. You couldn't make this shit up!

It later emerged Baker, who is defending the Labour target of Wycombe, has chosen to go on holiday to Greece rather than stay on the campaign trail – after Sunak had previously told MPs they should go ahead and book time off.

Not often the Daily Mail is my go-to to guage Conservative morale but if this is anything to go by Sunak is ****ed!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ock-doors.html

Read this, couldn’t have put it better myself.

The Tories shut down all the sure start centres, libraries, youth clubs, and basically stripped youth services to bankruptcy

And now all those kids are approaching 18, you want them to work for nothing?

Are you mental?

You absolutely deserve your arses kicking

Quote Originally Posted by ninian opinian View Post
    Read this, couldn’t have put it better myself.

The Tories shut down all the sure start centres, libraries, youth clubs, and basically stripped youth services to bankruptcy

And now all those kids are approaching 18, you want them to work for nothing?

Are you mental?

You absolutely deserve your arses kicking
    Although I don't dispute austerity happened, all those decisions were on local councils watches. They made decisions. Cardiff council have more councillors than before for example. Welsh Govt funded 20mph speed limits instead of youth services, etc etc etc.

If you think anything is gonna change you have another thing coming.