+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

View Poll Results: Do you think Bulut would ever get us to the playoffs?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

18 48.65%
  • No

19 51.35%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you think Bulut would ever get us to the playoffs?

Do you think Bulut would ever get us to the playoffs?

Optimism time ladies and gents.

Re: Do you think Bulut would ever get us to the playoffs?

Closer to the relegation places by league position and total points.

We won't scrape so many lucky wins again.

I certainly think that he could get us close. Bulut has a system of play, very rigid, very conservative, players hold their positions and any attacking style is from stretching the opposition with hardly anything coming through the middle. Those boys are there to win the ball back and get the ball wide. It's workrate, Workrate. So, i do believe that if he can get the players in who can play in a way that can maximise his tactics, become effective in wide areas, build a midfield where players know their role and expectations, then it's a yes from me. Results give us some clue. It either works or it doesn't, there is no in between, a bit like Warnock was. If Bulut can get players doing what he asks of them then he has a chance, especially at this level. I don't endorse it, i don't like it. i don't want to watch it. But i do think that there's every chance he can build a side that can realistically challenge at play off level.

Of course he could

A goalscorer and a creative midfielder and we could easily trouble that top six

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    I certainly think that he could get us close. Bulut has a system of play, very rigid, very conservative, players hold their positions and any attacking style is from stretching the opposition with hardly anything coming through the middle. Those boys are there to win the ball back and get the ball wide. It's workrate, Workrate. So, i do believe that if he can get the players in who can play in a way that can maximise his tactics, become effective in wide areas, build a midfield where players know their role and expectations, then it's a yes from me. Results give us some clue. It either works or it doesn't, there is no in between, a bit like Warnock was. If Bulut can get players doing what he asks of them then he has a chance, especially at this level. I don't endorse it, i don't like it. i don't want to watch it. But i do think that there's every chance he can build a side that can realistically challenge at play off level.
    Would you want to watch it if we had a creative midfielder, a goalscorer and maybe colwill pulling a few strings

Because put those factors in and the boring nature of the rest of the side suddenly becomes its greatest asset

Not even a remote chance. Absolute zero.

Yes I think he could, although I feel it’s just as likely we will be fighting at the bottom end of the table. As odd as it sounds neither would surprise me. The results were so erratic and winning/losing runs seemed to happen so often. Confidence is huge in football. Either way I don’t expect it to be entertaining.

Stupidly early to be betting on it, but these are the initial odds on winning the league:

Leeds 6/1
    Burnley 13/2
    Luton 10/1
    Middlesbrough 12/1
    Norwich 12/1
    West Brom 12/1
    Sheffield Utd 14/1
    Coventry 14/1
    Sunderland 20/1
    Portsmouth 20/1
    Watford 20/1
    Derby 20/1
    Stoke 20/1
    Hull 20/1
    QPR 25/1
    Sheffield Wednesday 25/1
    Swansea 28/1
    Bristol City 28/1
    Millwall 28/1
    Blackburn 28/1
    Cardiff 40/1
    Preston 40/1
    Plymouth 66/1
    Oxford 66/1

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Would you want to watch it if we had a creative midfielder, a goalscorer and maybe colwill pulling a few strings

Because put those factors in and the boring nature of the rest of the side suddenly becomes its greatest asset
    Yes, I would. I just don't think that his tactics will ever completely allow for that.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Not even a remote chance. Absolute zero.
    Why do you go if it's that shit? And I do agree, it's woeful.

If Bulut was given a budget and could pull in more player like Siopis and Goutas etc then we would have a chance of a top 4 place. But in reality it's a question that can be answered.

What will the teams that have come down - keep existing players or sell ?
    Will there be any big spenders in the championship to compete against ?
    Is there another 'Ipswich' coming up from League 1 ?

If the answer to all those is yes - then we will be somewhere in the top 12

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Why do you go if it's that shit? And I do agree, it's woeful.
    Getting out, seeing friends and having a drink just about makes it worthwhile. It definitely helps my mental health. We generally have far more fun before and after the games than we do during them, but while that’s often been the case over the years, it does seem to be accentuated at present.

But that’s not really the question at hand here. I don’t believe Bulut’s brand of football could or would ever be successful in the Championship. It’s just far too sterile. But if anyone can name me a side who has made the play-offs in recent years playing a similar type of football, I’ll bow to their greater knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Getting out, seeing friends and having a drink just about makes it worthwhile. It definitely helps my mental health. We generally have far more fun before and after the games than we do during them, but while that’s often been the case over the years, it does seem to be accentuated at present.

But that’s not really the question at hand here. I don’t believe Bulut’s brand of football could or would ever be successful in the Championship. It’s just far too sterile. But if anyone can name me a side who has made the play-offs in recent years playing a similar type of football, I’ll bow to their greater knowledge.
    There isn't another side who plays that way by my reckoning. He's one of two things, delusional, or has a belief in his system that is unwavering, which brings extremes in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Undercoverinwurzelland View Post
    Stupidly early to be betting on it, but these are the initial odds on winning the league:

Leeds 6/1
    Burnley 13/2
    Luton 10/1
    Middlesbrough 12/1
    Norwich 12/1
    West Brom 12/1
    Sheffield Utd 14/1
    Coventry 14/1
    Sunderland 20/1
    Portsmouth 20/1
    Watford 20/1
    Derby 20/1
    Stoke 20/1
    Hull 20/1
    QPR 25/1
    Sheffield Wednesday 25/1
    Swansea 28/1
    Bristol City 28/1
    Millwall 28/1
    Blackburn 28/1
    Cardiff 40/1
    Preston 40/1
    Plymouth 66/1
    Oxford 66/1
    Looking at that, the odds are quite ‘bunched’, no 100+/1s. The bookies realise that the Championship does throw up the odd surprise and they’re covering their arses. What price were Ipswich this time last year?

Not a chance
    His brand of football is atrocious any player with any individual skill just has it coached out of them to play his sterile nothing defensive football.
    If he's gone let us know so we can move on.
    If he's still here bejesus I've got to put up with another season of going nowhere with no progression football.

I think he can with the right signings.I'd love to know how many of last years crop that were actually his and not just who we could only get at the last minute. Even Grant who was arguably our best loan signing was more down to other people at the club than Bulut. The only two we can be absolutely sure of is Siopsis and Goutas so my thinking is if he can get a couple more like them we may be OK.As for attractive football I was never enamoured with Malky's style which seemed like headless chicken stuff at times, something even his countryman Kenny Miller wasn't that keen on but got us promoted in his second season so I live in hope bulut can do the same albeit on a lesser budget than Malky.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Looking at that, the odds are quite ‘bunched’, no 100+/1s. The bookies realise that the Championship does throw up the odd surprise and they’re covering their arses. What price were Ipswich this time last year?
    14/1, or at least that was their price when the season kicked off.

While Im not saying they are poor players im suprised at the more like Siopis and Goutas comments.

My worry is what we will see is more like the 2 of them. This time paying fees as well though I suspect those 2 werent cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    While Im not saying they are poor players im suprised at the more like Siopis and Goutas comments.

My worry is what we will see is more like the 2 of them. This time paying fees as well though I suspect those 2 werent cheap.
    Goutas?

Solid defender , dangerous at set pieces

Getting on but a far better player than McGuiness

Goutas?

I think far better is stretching it. MacGuiness should improve as well.

I agree with your comments on Goutas as well , solid defender dangerous at set pieces.

They are both Siopsis and Goutas decent players. Virtually no re sale value though and not really going to progress us into the top 6 if we make similar type signings in my opinion.

We dont need more 30 something players and my fear with Bulut is he will go for what he knows.

Goutas?

I remember Scott Young getting into double figures one season but then we also had Earnshaw scoring freely, Brayson, Fortune-West and Jason Bowen also hit double figures. I don't have problems with goals being shared about, but we have been overly reliant on two of our defenders for goals.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    I remember Scott Young getting into double figures one season but then we also had Earnshaw scoring freely, Brayson, Fortune-West and Jason Bowen also hit double figures. I don't have problems with goals being shared about, but we have been overly reliant on two of our defenders for goals.
    I enjoyed watching City in those days

Quote Originally Posted by sneggyblubird View Post
    I think he can with the right signings.I'd love to know how many of last years crop that were actually his and not just who we could only get at the last minute. Even Grant who was arguably our best loan signing was more down to other people at the club than Bulut. The only two we can be absolutely sure of is Siopsis and Goutas so my thinking is if he can get a couple more like them we may be OK.As for attractive football I was never enamoured with Malky's style which seemed like headless chicken stuff at times, something even his countryman Kenny Miller wasn't that keen on but got us promoted in his second season so I live in hope bulut can do the same albeit on a lesser budget than Malky.
    If you thought Malky's style was headless chicken what did you male of od OGS?

Goutas?

Gout as is a decent togood Championship centre back, but not a patch on Kipre and I’d pick McGuinness in front off him - people rave about Nat Phillips, but our defensive record was better when McGuinness was playing.

Talking of headless chickens, Siopis is the best example of one we have - I accept that’s a little unfair, but it seems to me that we had enough players who could do a similar job to him already, we’re still short of a box to box type midfielder.

International

Logic should tell you, last year he moved us up the table nine places with a transfer embargo and after losing three of our best four or five players, so yes with a full window and a bit of backing and more money, yes of course he could.