+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Coronavirus update - NO MORE RESTRICTIONS

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    International

Re: Coronavirus update

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    No vaccines are 100% effective at stopping everyone getting ill.

They aren't giving it to people who are already ill. They give it to people, some people still catch the virus but it stops them getting it severely.

So most people won't get covid, the ones that do still get covid won't get it bad enough to need to go to hospital.
    I understand the way it works which is why Iquestioned the statement that it works "66 per cent effective (85 per cent for preventing serious cases) "
    It is the reference to serious cases I question. If it works how do they know that Mr A or Mrs B would have had serious effects?
    And if they do have serious effect than it hasn't worked.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    I understand the way it works which is why Iquestioned the statement that it works "66 per cent effective (85 per cent for preventing serious cases) "
    It is the reference to serious cases I question. If it works how do they know that Mr A or Mrs B would have had serious effects?
    I don't think know, it's just 85% of people who got ill after taking the vaccine didn't get serious illness when compared to the placebo group.

They compare it to a placebo group.

International

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    They compare it to a placebo group.
    The placebo group is not relavent to the question.
    They can say that people in the olacebo group got severe syptoms, I agree. But that is not what they said.
    They said as I quoted: It is 85% effective in peventing severe symptoms. If sypmtoms are prevented how can they say that a person would, without the vaccine have had severe symptoms? It's nonsense.

They can say that people in the olacebo group got severe syptoms, I agree. But that is not what they said.
    They said as I quoted: It is 85% effective in peventing severe symptoms. If sypmtoms are prevented how can they say that a person would, without the vaccine have had severe symptoms? It's nonsense.
    85% effective compared to a placebo group. That's what the number means.

It isn't nonsense it's how it's always done

It's a statistic against the placebo group not an actual figure, that's how efficacy is calculated at least until they have psychics in the teams assessing it.

If you want to know more about it read this - https://www.thelancet.com/journals/l...623-4/fulltext

International

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    It isn't nonsense it's how it's always done

It's a statistic against the placebo group not an actual figure, that's how efficacy is calculated at least until they have psychics in the teams assessing it.

If you want to know more about it read this - https://www.thelancet.com/journals/l...623-4/fulltext
    I get the % figure, I understand it, it is the remark about severe symptoms that puzzles. If it works then people don't get severe symptoms and if it doesn't they do. But if it works how can they tell that a paerson would have got mild or severe symptoms? That's all.

I get the % figure, I understand it, it is the remark about severe symptoms that puzzles. If it works then people don't get severe symptoms and if it doesn't they do. But if it works how can they tell that a paerson would have got mild or severe symptoms? That's all.
    I don't think you get it.

100 people in the trial get covid. 5 are in the vaccine group, 95 are in the placebo group. So the vaccine is about 95% effective.

1-(5/95) =0.947

Repeat.for those with severe symptoms.